• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 14, 2021

    Tech Support - Do tech companies have a score for users the same way financial companies have a credit score?

    Tech Support - Do tech companies have a score for users the same way financial companies have a credit score?


    Do tech companies have a score for users the same way financial companies have a credit score?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:21 PM PST

    I think everyone is aware that financial companies have joined together to create the credit score, a metric for how trustworthy a person is with finances.

    What I'm wondering is if people think it's likely that tech companies have done the same thing. Like do FaceBook and Google have some way of setting a value or some other metric on a user that is shared between them?

    submitted by /u/ForTamriel
    [link] [comments]

    Can you partion an external hard drive and use it to create a recovery drive?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:56 PM PST

    Hi. I just went through a nasty ordeal of dealing with Ransomware and reinstalled my OS. Bought a hard disk for the first time in my life. I was wondering if one could partition a portion of their external hard drive and use it to create a recovery drive while still being able to use the remaining portion for backing up other personal data.

    submitted by /u/Sir-Particular
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any event calendar apps that connect to any online event calendars that expose a required API?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:13 PM PST

    Such that if I had tickets booked for shows from three different companies that all exposed the API, I could paste each company's API url into the app and it would get the upcoming events from all of them, and send me notifications when they are about to start.

    submitted by /u/lindymad
    [link] [comments]

    HDMI 2.1, TV only 2.0

    Posted: 14 Jan 2021 02:55 AM PST

    Hello fellow redditors! I recently bought a new TV, and am looking to procure a ps5 (am in UK, so might be some time). However my new TV only supports HDMI 2.0.

    Would buying a HDMI 2.1 cable make any difference or should I just stick with 2.0?

    submitted by /u/hrcuzz1995
    [link] [comments]

    Why aren't 3d displays available to buy?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Nintendo made a 3d display on consumer grade hardware 9 years ago, and added eye tracking 6 years ago. Yet nobody is selling 3d displays, including professional grade hardware. Why not?

    submitted by /u/piiiickle1
    [link] [comments]

    Can a magnet interfere with an analog signal?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:26 PM PST

    Referring to a regular, stationary neodymium magnet - not an electromagnet.

    submitted by /u/ISomehowThinkImEpic
    [link] [comments]

    How to join google meet again when someone kicked themselves out of the room?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:22 PM PST

    My friend kicked herself out of a google meet room (which is for my school's account and is joined by clicking a certain link and typing the word my teacher gave out). She was goofing off with a few others in the room but accidentally kicked herself out of the room. She was originally using her laptop but used her ipad to kick herself out and now she can't get in. Is there any way she can join this room again?

    submitted by /u/-B-O-S-S-
    [link] [comments]

    How does sound get to the right side of this headphone?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 05:14 PM PST

    On the Akg K52, the p2 cable only comes to the left side, and there doesn't seem to be a cabe between the left and the right side. So how does this work?

    submitted by /u/henrique_gj
    [link] [comments]

    What bad thing can happen if I use High Performance mode in Windows 10 Desktop?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 08:30 AM PST

    Windows says "this option can use more energy" on a lot of settings, but I don't see the problem with than on Desktop, since it's always connected to current. I guess it means the electrical bill can be higher, but does it lower the computer's lifespan or something?

    submitted by /u/serbdamo
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for Apple Macbook Pro & ASUS Zenbook auxiliaries.

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 12:43 PM PST

    Hi! I am looking to purchase a work-from-home monitor (24"). (budget <150 USD)
    I need it to be compatible with a Macbook Pro (13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) and ideally also with my ASUS Zenbook UX330UA. (If I need to purchase converters I will be open to it too!)
    Additionally, recommendations on a keyboard (<100$), mouse (<100$), and stand (<50$), headphones (<50$), dongle (<50$) compatible with my MacBook pro would also be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot!!

    submitted by /u/EarPsychological2080
    [link] [comments]

    Pc Hdd question

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 06:31 PM PST

    I was just trying to download gfw to play fallout 3 and it wasn't letting me so I reset my pc and it took longer than normal I finally got it to load after waiting 5 mins which is odd as my ssd is my main boot drive I've launched up my pc and both drives showed on the boot menu but on the desktop it only shows my ssd and hdd has the ? Next to it I'm currently factory resetting my pc to see what the issue is but anyone got any answers?

    submitted by /u/CanadianSyrupR6
    [link] [comments]

    background noise problem with IEMs

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:52 AM PST

    I have a weird problem. I have a pair of KZ ZSN X Pro IEMs, but when I plug them into my computer it makes a sort of background noise you generally hear with cheaper microphones.

    I didn't experience this problem on my iPhone Xs with lightning to jack adapter with Spotify or YouTube music.

    Another thing, that the background noise only starts when I am listening to audio on my laptop, and it goes away after like 20 seconds if I pause the audio, or it goes away immediately goes away when I mute my laptop.

    Is this purely a Windows issue?

    Update 1: It's probably not a Windows problem, because I booted up Linux (PopOS) and I experienced the same problem, although a bit quieter. (Which may be because Linux uses less resources thus less noise from the internals)

    submitted by /u/KvoDon
    [link] [comments]

    Does SheerID send my identity info (first name, last name, birthday, university name, etc) to the service that is verifying I am a student?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 09:32 AM PST

    For example, let's say I have a Youtube account named "John Smith" with the email jsmith@gmail.com. I want to sign up for the Youtube Premium student plan as I am indeed a student and want the discount. Youtube redirects me to SheerID to verify I am a student, and SheerID requests identifying information such as my first name, last name, university, and email.

    My concern is: Does SheerID "notify" Google (which owns Youtube) with something along the lines of "John Smith's Youtube premium account belongs to RealFirstName RealLastName who goes to UniversityName", which would then allow Google to link my "anonymous" account to my real life identity (which defeats the point of having an anonymous account)?

    SheerID FAQs states that:

    Q: How does the verification process actually work?

    A: Our clients determine who is eligible for their promotions. The SheerID platform is able to verify if an individual meets your requirements by bumping customer-provided data (usually first name, last name, and DOB) against authoritative data sources without actually seeing the data. We instantly confirm whether or not there is a match, and we return a "yes", which triggers reward delivery, or a "no" to our clients. You get fast, accurate results. Want to see it in action? Contact us to request a live demo.

    This sounds like they do protect user privacy and they won't tell Google all of the information I gave them to verify my student status, they simply tell Google something like "yes, this user is a student" or "no, this user is not a student".

    However, I came across this forum post from a Spotify user (iirc Spotify also uses SheerID), where the person explains that they accidentally entered their student info for another person's account verification and then were unable to activate their own account with the same info. Logically this restriction makes complete sense, however I feel like that begs the question of how Spotify was able to determine the same student info (first name, last name, university) was used for both accounts if SheerID is not supposed to tell Spotify said info, just the "yes" or "no" response.

    Am I just misunderstanding the Spotify post / what Spotify is doing, or does SheerID tell any company requesting verification my personal details?

    submitted by /u/Snoo63034
    [link] [comments]

    Old e-mail service that I was using no longer works and i lost my login info on a website and only way to revive is with email adress... Is there anyway to access my emails? I have no hope but i thought mb i find an answer

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:04 AM PST

    Which computer based careers/jobs AI proof?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 02:02 PM PST

    Im asking this question after hearing about AI eliminating programing and web design. Im looking to major in something computer related and worried about the future as 50% of all jobs (not just tech but all jobs) are going to be replaced by AI in 2020 according to an article I read.

    submitted by /u/fastercheif
    [link] [comments]

    Neuralink technology is being used on people without their knowledge

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:41 PM PST

    Who would I go to with this? I want to be evaluated because I think It would show that I have been experimented on with this and it is not being used for good...Either people need to know how dangerous of a technology this can be or Im just wrong but It needs to be looked into

    submitted by /u/Glittering_Fail9236
    [link] [comments]

    Need help understanding!

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 01:23 PM PST

    Hello guys, this is my second time posting on reddit, and my second time posting THIS on reddit. I was told to come here if I need any help. Im an American, but I am out of country and I got called from a number.

    I cant post pictures, but the number was 0888888888888

    One zero, and twelve eights. I wanna know what this is, and why Im being called.

    I picked up this call, and it was a silent call, no sound on the other line. Ive gotten calls like these before, but this number is very strange.

    submitted by /u/Address-Admirable
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Buy this IndieGoGo Gizmo [Teracube 2e Phone], or a Clamshell Phone, or What?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 11:46 AM PST

    Hello Technophiles,

    My old Iphone 6 is finally starting to become untenable - the battery life is atrocious and the remaining battery indicator has become completely unreliable, jumping randomly between 20% remaining and 50% remaining, before seemingly consistently dying at around 13% battery remaining. The components are so outdated I can't even use Airplay with some of my family's newer speakers. And, it no longer receives iOS updates, and several of my apps have begun crashing more frequently (I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue). I've used the phone for a good six years, and I'm thinking it's time for an update.

    I try to live small - I don't have much money, and I try not to let anything I have go to waste, but I'm not obsessively green or very knowledgeable about either technology or sustainability, just doing my best. I'd like my next phone purchase to ideally have a good lifetime, be relatively cheap, and have decent functionality (calls and videos, read the news, stream Netflix, maybe a couple of games - I'm not really on social media, don't have a Facebook or an Instagram or anything). I'd also like to make the switch to Android - I've never liked the Apple model of "works perfectly out the box, but you can't customize it at all."

    I've read about modular technology as a means to reduces e-waste, facilitate recycling, and build a more sustainable tech environment. I'm semi-familiar with the Fairphone, which seems to have all the features I'd like to see in my ideal phone - modular, careful in how it sources its minerals (and open about the fact that its supply chain is imperfect), repairable, but unfortunately it does not ship outside of Europe (I'm in the US). Even if I could get one into the country, I'm not certain how compatible it is with American networks (I'm currently on AT&T).

    So, here's the (still long) TL;DR:

    I've come across this phone, the Teracube 2e, which is available in the US and Canada. The company's stated long-term goals are along the same line as the Fairphone - modular, long lasting, repairable technology (they imply that they'd like to take care ethically sourcing their materials, but imply that they are not currently prioritizing ethical mineral sourcing and won't until they scale up and have more resources to do so). So far, what they offer is a Four-year warranty with flat $39 fee for device repairs, replaceable battery, and easy to open case for DIY repairs (but they do not supply parts, acquiring them would be on the consumer).

    They successfully delivered (on time!) their first Kickstarter promises, and while they still technically haven't delivered on their promise of providing the 2e by "January 2021," they are providing updates and the phone is in production and expected to be moved to Hong Kong Warehouses shortly. The fact that they've succesfully hit ther first Kickstarter goals and expanded their company a year later is a good sign, at least that's what I'm told by people who are into start-ups.

    So, here's my Q's: Should I buy this thing? I need techxpert help making this decision - my main concerns are: 1) Since it lacks 5G support, do I have to worry about having the available 4G cell coverage phased out before it reaches a healthy age? And will the 4G coverage available give me good coverage in the US (I live in a major city, but I do travel and spend time out in the sticks, where I'm from) 2) With these specs (I'm told they're pretty weak, even for the low price point of $169), will I be able to use News/Streaming apps hassle/lag free, or do I have to worry about support being dropped as apps are updated for higher spec technology to the point that they're unusable on this dated technology? 3) (And this one's probably impossible to answer) Is this really the best way to be sustainable? I believe in the model, and I don't mind investing in the phone knowing the start-up could fail before reaching it's long term goals of modularity, sustainability, ethical mineral sourcing, etc., are achieved, provided those are in fact good goals. But maybe I could be better served by buying a secondhand refurbished phone with better specs? Or just admitting I'm a luddite and buying a clamshell?

    Help me out here! Thanks

    submitted by /u/Squimsy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment