• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 3, 2020

    Tech Support - Elderly Friendly Video Chat Device/Set Up?

    Tech Support - Elderly Friendly Video Chat Device/Set Up?


    Elderly Friendly Video Chat Device/Set Up?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 02:51 PM PST

    Hello,

    My grandparents are getting up there in age. My family has not been able to spend much time with them during COVID due to social distancing and what not.

    My sister's and I have been discussing getting them something like a Facebook portal so that we can video chat with them. It would be nice to do this for Christmas especially.

    My issue is that they do not have Wi-Fi at their house, although they do have an internet connection. So we could install a router and a portal type device should work fine. But if anything were to go wrong with the Wi-Fi they would be completely lost. I am pretty sure they have Comcast which would probably need to be reset fairly frequently when connection is dropped.

    I was wondering if there was a device similar to a portal that has a cellular connection? Something we could just leave plugged in in a room and they can use voice commands to call us. The least amount of physical interface required the better since they're dexterity is pretty much gone (It is difficult for them to use the TV remote). Does something like this exist or can something be hobbled together?

    submitted by /u/wwenk821
    [link] [comments]

    I'm super dumb and need knowledge on projectors.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 11:56 PM PST

    So I was about to spend $500 on a 55 inch tv. And then it occurred to me.. If I spend $500 on a projector.. Can I get a better display? I have plenty of blank white flat space in my apartment. So I guess my question is: will I get a better, bigger screen spending $500 on a tv or a projector? Please help me out.

    submitted by /u/Matika7
    [link] [comments]

    help with hp

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 11:16 PM PST

    if i was trying to refurbish an older dual core am2 hp with 4gb of ram what should i upgrade to first, a ssd,GPU upgrade or upgrade to a quad core chip

    submitted by /u/melty_milk
    [link] [comments]

    Suspension

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 10:56 PM PST

    How can we know what values of mass and spring constants are required to stabilize the 2DOF (double mass spring damper system) in 10-20 seconds? First m, k, b are known. Second to be evaluated for the system to attain stability.

    submitted by /u/akash_dubae
    [link] [comments]

    Can your boss see what you are surfing ��‍♀️ the web at home or on mobile data?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 03:59 AM PST

    Just curious to know if I surf the web at home or on my mobile data and delete my history and then the next day connect to work WiFi can they still see what you've been searching at home?

    submitted by /u/Odd-Deer-2225
    [link] [comments]

    I created a file history from my old comp to my new and got a $OF folder. Is there a way to restore the documents in it?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 03:20 AM PST

    My old laptop started acting funny, so in preparation I created a File History and saved all the stuff on an external hard drive. Not too long after my laptop went dead and I had to get a new one. I tried transferring everything over to the new computer but I couldnt help but notice some things missing. I eventually realized that some of the files and folders had been placed in another alternate folder labeld "$OF". It has a BUNCH of folder in it, all labeled as numbers. In those folders are files with more numbers for the titles and a date in parenthesis next to it also in the title. I opened some of them and these are the files I noticed were missing. I dont know why they got placed in this folder instead, but I would like to move them back. Problem is there is so many of them, and they all have these bizarre unrecognizable names after numbers. Is there any way to restore them to their proper form, or would I have to comb through it one by one and recover everything manually.

    submitted by /u/Izzy248
    [link] [comments]

    Will using a Samsung Galaxy A11 phone or any phone with a PLS TFT display damage my eyes or vision permanently since it's a lower quality screen and it's not an LCD screen, but instead is a proprietary display technology by Samsung?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2020 02:07 AM PST

    Will using a Samsung Galaxy A11 phone or any phone with a PLS TFT display damage my eyes or vision permanently since it's a lower quality screen and it's not an LCD screen, but instead is a proprietary display technology by Samsung?

    submitted by /u/SilverTrip8845
    [link] [comments]

    space heater on carpet?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 08:13 PM PST

    i have a 360 degree space heater I want to put in middle of room, it's a bit tall and the heat comes from the sides of the top not bottom

    it also has a piston on the bottom where if it's not pushed it turns off for safety when falling over

    can I have it on the carpet and is it safe to leave on overnight? and won't cause carbon monoxide poisoning etc?

    submitted by /u/xTynini
    [link] [comments]

    TV bed advice?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 04:54 PM PST

    Has anyone ever owned a bed frame containing the TV in the foot if the bed?

    And if so, did you find the TV was too close to you?

    submitted by /u/LavenderrBlonde
    [link] [comments]

    Im having some trouble with the CAPTCHAs on the gmail recovery

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 06:58 PM PST

    I can't get passed the CAPTCHAs that have the distorted letters and numbers. Ive tried at least 100 times and still no luck. Are they just broken, or am I just doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/BannanaJesus
    [link] [comments]

    Can't touch and hold Pixel 3a volume button when headphones are plugged in

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 05:21 PM PST

    Not sure if this is the sub to post this but I recently noticed that when I have headphones connected to my phone I can't press and hold the volume button to change the volume. Instead I have to tap the volume button

    The weird things is when I disconnected the headphones I can't press and hold the volume button and it changes the volume quickly like you'd expect

    I tried updating my Android, restarting it a couple of times, and using different headphones. The issue persists

    Does anyone know how to fix this so I don't have to spam the volume button?

    submitted by /u/hero96x
    [link] [comments]

    Need a high speed micro SD to USB reader.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 04:56 PM PST

    Between dash cams, cameras, drones, and other crud i need the highest transfer rate micro SD to USB.

    Ive got a pile of those Micro SD to regular SD things that come with the cards but they cap at like 17-20 MB/s and 2 different card readers but they too are stuck around 20mb/s...

    Any suggestions? Or is that all the converters can do?

    submitted by /u/InsertBluescreenHere
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know about this program?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 04:36 PM PST

    I don't know if this is the right subreddit to ask in, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the NinjaRMMAgent application and whether or not it's malicious/behaves like malware or spyware. I've been looking online for it as much as possible but I can't seem to find much on it at all. With a name like "NinjaRMMAgent" it definitely sounds suspicious, and yet TotalAV doesn't see anything wrong with it. I guess my question aside from whether or not anyone knows anything about it, is whether or not it can be used as spyware. I'm mainly asking as I am someone who values privacy, and this is one program that's on my PC due to the job I have (which I won't leak any info about as I don't want to face any legal issues if any, and the only reason I said anything is because I know this program isn't only restricted to my job, iirc other companies also seem to use it.)

    submitted by /u/Mayravixx
    [link] [comments]

    Happy Cakeday, r/AskTechnology! Today you're 9

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 04:00 PM PST

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    4k video playing problems

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 03:15 PM PST

    I have recently bought a 4k tv and use it as a second monitor via HDMI 2.0. My system is a bit older an i5 4570, 8GB DDDR3 ram, and gtx 970. My gpu outputs at 4k 60hz and the tv also inputs 4k 60hz. It should have no problem playing 4k video as I'm able to use it in older games such as ac 4 black flag that I recently revisited and get over 40fps in max settings 4k and stable 60 fps when I optimized the settings a bit. I've used it in other less demanding games at 4k and only recently have had to tweak the settings at 1080p from ultra to high in more demanding modern titles to get a consistent 60 fps.

    What I don't understand is when I try playing 4k video on youtube, netflix or with vlc there is a large amount of dropped frames (the internet connection is not the problem since I have 250Mb down and 25Mb up, it's connected via an ethernet cable and my tv (using wifi) is able to play youtube, netflix and from an usb stick video at 4k 60fps without dropping a single frame).

    When I go into task manager I see that the cpu is the one that's doing all the work and at 100% utilization and the gpu is between 0% and 10%. When I try a 1440p video my cpu is between 70% and 80% and my gpu is around 15% to 20%. Do I need to change some settings in Windows or in Nvidia control panel or is my cpu simple to big of a bottleneck here?

    In the meantime I'm just watching everything directly from my tv but I prefer vlc controls to the TV's inbuilt video player that it uses when playing from a USB.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

    submitted by /u/DarthTigerTamer
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove items from personalized ads.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 11:27 AM PST

    I'm looking at rings for my gf for Christmas. Just started browsing on my phone and now every ad is for rings. We often use each other's phone to look up stuff online so I'm guessing she'll notice alot of ads for rings. I've cleared my browser history and clear all the cookies and cache. I use Chrome on an s9+. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/backspace209
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know if it is possible to view a real-time dBm (cell signal) meter on iOS?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 11:18 AM PST

    I am aware of the dialing method, but that doesn't give a continuous real-time reading.

    I am wanting to search for the best position for my phone while using it as a hotspot. Service is limited here, so every bit counts. A real time reception meter would make this much easier.

    submitted by /u/ISomehowThinkImEpic
    [link] [comments]

    i accidentally searched something up on my school laptop

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 10:43 AM PST

    i was wondering- i accidentally searched something bad on my school laptop and wondering if they will track my history. im not using the school wifi and they gave us all personal laptops but im on the school account. i deleted my history, can they still find out? if they can please lmk how to hide it.

    submitted by /u/PowerfulPersonality1
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking to buy a new TV (Help me choose!)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 10:36 AM PST

    Hey , I'm thinking about buying a new TV this boxing day and was wondering whats the best TV i could get for a budget.

    I'm looking for a TV with: -android OS -4K -HDR -120hz -LED or OLED -75 inch

    For approx $1k CAD

    submitted by /u/LankanBoi
    [link] [comments]

    How to get the answer in microsoft forms?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 10:24 AM PST

    I NEEED IT HURRY

    submitted by /u/PaarthurnaxF12
    [link] [comments]

    How much power can wall socket give?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 09:35 AM PST

    read a wall outlet can give 1500 watts, but my wall outlets usually have two sockets, is that 1500 watts per socket or 1500/2 for both?

    what'd happen if i put two 1500 watt items in each socket in the outlet for example like two heaters or a very very expensive computer

    submitted by /u/xTynini
    [link] [comments]

    Would existing SBS 3D movies work on a Looking Glass holographic display?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 09:05 AM PST

    The Looking Glass holographic displays work by calculating 45 different images simultaneously and stacking them in glass plates to create a pattern of light that's actually 3D as I understand it. And yeah, the main application for that will be brand new content and software specially designed to take advantage of it. And it'll probably be a tool for business applications like medical and design rather than an entertainment device for the most part.

    But that has me wondering: if I had a Looking Glass holographic display (when I'm living in the Jetsons future) then would I be able to put in any of my existing 3D Blu-Rays or SBS 3D videos and be able to watch them with the 3D effects on it? Like maybe if it was combined with some face tracking, then it could?

    Also, any chance we'll ever see affordable glasses-free 3D TVs?

    submitted by /u/BenMcLean
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless mouse help!

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 07:51 AM PST

    I have a Jelly Comb brand wireless mouse that I'm using on a mac with OS X El Capitan and the scroll wheel is so jumpy that it's driving me insane. I've restarted the computer, I've tried it on another computer (same thing), and I've tried another mouse on this computer (same thing). So I'm really confused about whether it's the mouse or the computer and how to fix it. Any system pref "mouse settings" only refer to mac mouses don't they? (I've messed with those too and no change). I've used this mouse on this computer for months and it wasn't always jumpy, though I don't remember any specific time or event that changed it.

    submitted by /u/sricholl
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a touch screen vs touchscreen laptop

    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 06:42 AM PST

    I'm considering a touch screen second monitor setup. I use a laptop but probably 70% of my work is done at a desk with a larger 24" UHD monitor. I work with a lot of spreadsheets and form filling, check boxes etc. documents. I know some of my colleagues really like their touch screen laptops but I use larger spreadsheets than most so I prefer more screen space. I was wondering if there was a small touch screen monitor I could use as second monitor for the occasional touch screen benefits. It could be 15 to 17" preferably any bigger and It would not be conveniently placed. I just ordered a new laptop. I know its a bit overkill for spreadsheets but I also have to view lots of video and flipping between viewing dozens of web pages and I need a snappy computer. Alternatively if I could find a competitively priced quality touch screen laptop with similar specs maybe id be best served just to upgrade that and return this one. I'll share specs. So this machine was on sale 1400 cdn or about 1100 usd Lenovo Legion 5i (17") Processor 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor (2.60 GHz, up to 5.00 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 12 MB Cache) 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz (2 x 8 GB) 1 TB PCIe SSD + 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 (always on) 3 x USB-A 3.2** Gen 1 USB-C 3.2 (DisplayPort™) HDMI 2.0

    PS. I do zero gaming so thats not why I bought this, it was the processor and memory and hopefully lenovo quality.

    submitted by /u/whyjustwhyguy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment