• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 13, 2020

    Tech Support - Advice on KVM & USB Hub Compatibility

    Tech Support - Advice on KVM & USB Hub Compatibility


    Advice on KVM & USB Hub Compatibility

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 01:32 AM PST

    Hi Reddit, I'm trying to improve my home office setup, and I'd like some confirmation/reassurance that the following accessories will be compatible.

    I am considering getting this KVM so I can use the same monitor/mouse/keyboard with my desktop pc and my work macbook. I would like to also use the same usb webcam with both. The KVM I'm considering has 2 usb A inputs.

    Firstly, is it workable to connect a small usb A hub to one of the KVM's usb inputs so I can connect the mouse, keyboard, and webcam?

    Secondly, I've previously used a hub that also had an ethernet port so that my macbook would not need to rely on wifi. If I get a usb hub that also has an ethernet port, should I expect that network connection to work through the KVM?

    Finally, some usb hubs advertise Gigabit connection and usb 3.0. The usb A ports on the KVM are 2.0 not 3.0. Would there be any point of getting a "gigabit" hub if it's plugged into a slower 2.0 style port?

    submitted by /u/throwaway13626
    [link] [comments]

    How far away are we from high fidelity animal translators?

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 12:19 AM PST

    Given all the advancement with machine learning and speech processing specifically, are there any major or notable efforts towards this?

    submitted by /u/San_Bird_Man
    [link] [comments]

    Is it faster to get fiber if it means I have to go on wifi?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 11:57 PM PST

    wanted a second opinion on this. Basically AT@T installed a fiber route to my apartment but they put it in the living room. So If I switch over it means that my gaming PC would have to connect via wifi instead of being directly connected to my router.

    submitted by /u/colin8696908
    [link] [comments]

    File security/delivery

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 10:03 PM PST

    I want to take some risqué photos for my husband. (It's been 23 years, Hes NOT going to screw me over with these) My plan is to use my regular camera. If I format the memory card when I'm done, will that erase photos (or at least make it to where nobody can possibly stumble upon them by accident)?

    submitted by /u/thrillcum80
    [link] [comments]

    General questions about laptops

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 03:32 PM PST

    Hello fellow redditors,

    I'm unfortunately not really tech savvy but like to find out more about technology behind it, so I can buy a good laptop for my niece.

    I have a couple of questions:

    1. What makes a laptop easy to use? What defines good usability in laptops?
    2. What does good performance mean? Has it to do with the hardware or something else? What parts of the hardware would make a laptop a good performing one?
    3. What entails a good display? Is it the size? Then what would be considered a big or small display? Does it mean the quality? But then what is a good quality display? Is quality = resolution? Has a laptop with a good display touchscreen?

    I hope you can answer me these questions and that I posted in the right subreddit. Otherwise, I would be happy if you can direct me to the right direction.

    Thanks!

    techlayuncle

    submitted by /u/techlayuncle
    [link] [comments]

    Query connecting two laptops to monitor- surface pro 4 & macbook pro 2020.

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 05:54 PM PST

    Hi Reddit.

    Query connecting two laptops. I've got a surface pro 4 and a macbook pro 2020.

    Surface pro has one mini display port

    Macbook pro has a Usb C port x2

    I have a Dell monitor with HDMI/Display port input

    I want to ideally have a dock that would allow me to connect either laptop to the dock, connect a bluetooth keyboard and a mouse to it and use whichever laptop i've used as a desktop. i've researched a bit and can't find anything (reasonably priced) that will allow me to connect both laptops at different times and use them. The macbook will be simple as i can just connect it via a usb c cable but the surface pro is a bit tricky as it only has a mini display port (female connection). I'm looking for a solution

    Also if i could charge them via the dock it would be perfect but its not a must.

    anyone got any solutions ?

    Desperate. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SaqibAli95
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for best Desktop

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 09:18 PM PST

    I am looking for a Desktop computer. I know NOTHING about computers. Honestly I was just thinking of getting a Mac because of the hype. But I wanted to see what you guys suggest. This is going to be a gift for my boyfriend who's in University right now and he current doesn't have a computer. He mentioned that he'd prefer a desktop over a laptop. Soo i want a desktop that doesn't take up a lot of space and that's good for both school work stuff and for gaming as well since that is something he is interested in. Something that doesn't take up a lot of room would be good as well. Thank you in advance! :)

    submitted by /u/Ok_Ad_9055
    [link] [comments]

    Create a daily Rar backup of a folder

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 08:56 PM PST

    I currently have carbonite backing up my system, but software skips certain file extensions which are necessary for programs to run. I have in turn been Rar-ing a folder at the end of each day which carbonite does back up.

    Is there a software that would do that for me? ie rar or zip a file, name it the date of the backup. and then after 4 iterations delete the earliest copy as it backs up? I've seen some people try to run it with task scheduler but that only keeps on backing up and it seems to the same directory.

    submitted by /u/ctles
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Needs Ethernet?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 08:47 PM PST

    Hello,

    I have a gaming desktop which needs an ethernet to connect to internet. I'm unable to just type the internet password and connect to internet? It sucks because my modem has a long cable, I have to move it close to my computer setup.

    submitted by /u/Claxify
    [link] [comments]

    Are flash memory’s like HDDs and SSD store images in unused data

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 04:44 PM PST

    Hey all I recently found out that Firefox google and all that download images you see on Facebook and google and all that on to your hdds and then I got thinking if flash memory on iPhones do the same

    submitted by /u/do-o-kami
    [link] [comments]

    Question about relative understanding of tech

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 09:04 AM PST

    This is a mashup for Historians and Futurists alike. This is an argument between my SO and I and I think y'all are going to be a great place to ask.

    She's claiming that the layman in ancient Greece had a better understanding of their available technology than a lay person of today does ours. E.g. a Greecian would understand an arch better than an American would understand a plane.

    I believe this is anachronistic and isn't appreciating the way that centuries upon centuries has "simplified" education so that modern people have a better understanding of similarly complex, but time appropriate technology.

    So is there a way to measure relative intuitional understanding of technology, and if so, who has the more intuitive tech?

    submitted by /u/Blatts
    [link] [comments]

    Team blue or red for future CPU?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 04:29 PM PST

    Which should I choose for my future build - Intel 11th gen or the restock of AMD Ryzen 9 5900x? I'm thinking AMD will restock before Intel's release.

    submitted by /u/heroloso
    [link] [comments]

    How do I play beats on Instagram live?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 01:32 PM PST

    I'm planning on doing a live gig on Instagram and I need beats to play while I'm singing. My setup rn is mic into mixer into phone, but how can I add beats?

    submitted by /u/Extension-Soup9637
    [link] [comments]

    What is an good/affordable/reliable storage for recording videos at 1440p 60fps?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 07:29 AM PST

    I'm looking for storage to mostly record gaming videos at 1440p 60fps. At least 2-4TB (preferably 4). Since SSD's at that storage is pretty expensive, I'm leaning more towards HDD's at this point (but I can consider an SSD if reasonable). My budget is around 50-150 Euro, but I can spend more if necessary. Any suggestions? Please advise :)

    I currently use my m.2 SSD for everything (operating system, games, + other software).

    My current setup is:
    - Ryzen 5 3600
    - Gigabyte RTX 3070
    - MSI b550 VDH Pro Wifi
    - Corsair Vengeance 3200 (2x8)
    - Samsung 970EVO 1TB m.2 SSD
    - Corsair RM750
    - Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance

    submitted by /u/itsdavidLF
    [link] [comments]

    How to get photos off an old LG AX5000 flip phone?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 12:51 PM PST

    I have some photos with a good friend who recently passed away on my old LG flip phone. Would really really love to get those transferred to my cpu if I could. Y'all have any ideas? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Russ_James
    [link] [comments]

    My 10 year old laptop does not work, even though I can see it gets charged. Battery is empty, so it doesn't work without charger for only like 15 min. What can I do? Should I reset?

    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 06:11 AM PST

    Model: Packard Bell easynote tj65

    submitted by /u/requiescatf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment