• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 2, 2020

    Tech Support - how best to transfer 700+ GB of files from old-style[?] external hard drive to a modern one using a MacBook?

    Tech Support - how best to transfer 700+ GB of files from old-style[?] external hard drive to a modern one using a MacBook?


    how best to transfer 700+ GB of files from old-style[?] external hard drive to a modern one using a MacBook?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    is there a best/safest/most efficient manner in which to transfer more than 6,000 files contained in many separate folders from a "WD My Book Essential [1 TB] External Hard Drive" to a "LaCie [2TB] Rugged USB-C"?

    i have an early-2015 MacBook Air (Catalina 10.15.2) and a multi USB port with which i can plug in the external drives simultaneously.

    basically i just wasn't sure if i should be dragging and dropping an entire main folder (i.e. 40 subfolders equalling 385 GB) or if it was preferable to be copying things over more piecemeal, or if it even makes a difference.

    * MERCI * THANK YOU * GRACIAS *

    submitted by /u/full-metal-ashtray
    [link] [comments]

    Services and controller app

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    So this past couple of days, I've noticed that my pc has been performing worse and slower to the point where I can barely play any games. I decided to check task manager to see if anything was running in the background. I checked task manager and saw that something called services and controller app was using up to 90 percent of the GPU, I tried to end task but it didn't work. i googled what to do but it said i was supposed to delete an antivirus called segurazo i checked and i didnt have it. does anybody know what I should do?

    submitted by /u/Nba_oldboi
    [link] [comments]

    Advice: hackers

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'm after some technical advice on dealing with aftermath of hackers from my parents laptop, they run a business and used the business laptop during the scam where it has passwords linked to bank accounts and paypal things etc.

    So the story goes, they rang up claiming they were amazon and were trying to issue a refund, they caught my mum off guard and she ending up downloading the team viewer software and they had access to her computer. They were trying to get her to log into her bank account which she did and they were also trying to get her to put some sort of code in on some website but then my sister came back realised what was going on and explained this was a hack. She put the phone down and tried to freeze the bank accounts so nothing could be taken out.

    We are certain they had control of the computer because when my sister tried to type in HSBC to find the contact number someone kept deleting the letters and closing down google chrome. She then got it up on her phone browser and did it that way. They rang back 6 times and were getting aggressive which could indicate they were close to getting what they wanted or could have already. My sister then uninstalled team viewer and shut down the laptop for 24 hours. No money has been taken out because everything was frozen by the bank, but we are going to unfreeze the account soon so everything needs to be secure before doing that.

    So my question is what can I do to secure the laptop?

    We have change all the passwords, uninstalled team viewer and run a computer scan.

    Could the hacker have left other software to regain access?

    submitted by /u/take10purpleones
    [link] [comments]

    TomTom GO 630 touch screen not working

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:45 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I recently decided to take out my old Tomtom GO 630 navigation system which had been lying around for a few years to place it in my car. But I noticed that the screen wasn't taking any input, I couldn't click any buttons, so I had a look on some web forums.

    The possible faults people told me about were that either my screen isn't calibrated correctly or the whole LCD unit/digitizer is "dead".

    I then ordered a new LCD and replaced it myself. Turned on the device, screen was working completely fine, but I still couldn't click anything. I also tried reconnecting the connectors, placed a cal.txt/calib.txt file in my root folder (in case the screen wasn't calibrated correctly), still nothing.

    Now, is there anything else that I can try to fix my device? I would love to use it again since I love old Tomtoms and don't want to buy a different one until I find a solution or know that the device is not repairable.

    Appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/-run_
    [link] [comments]

    issue with headphones

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 01:42 AM PDT

    So I just bought the razer kraken ultimates I plugged them in my Asus zenbook 14 UX433FA and they sound amazing. As soon as I plug them into my dell Inspiron desktop they don't sound as good. My desktop is around 4 years old, Is it because my desktop has on older sound card? I'm very confused and would like help

    submitted by /u/reehaz666
    [link] [comments]

    Google Maps in car stereo?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:20 PM PDT

    I'm looking at a cheap double DIN android touch screen device. Many of these advertise Google Maps, which would be optimal, but doesn't the require internet? How does that work? I don't believe you can download an offline map of the entire US, though I would if I could.

    submitted by /u/YousernameOne
    [link] [comments]

    Why don't video cards have "fake frame rate conversion" technology for PC games?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    They have 120hz, 240hz refresh rate, etc fake frame rate conversion for TVs, they made "SmoothVideoProject" to add higher frame rate to videos in your media player. I also noticed a radeon video card setting for videos.

    Why doesn't Nvida/AMD add this feature specifically for PC games, to artificially jack up the frame rate? I have a 240hz TV and PC games look great, especially animated graphics. I don't notice any input lag.

    submitted by /u/Chocobo_Eater
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start learning

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    I'm 25 and have lived a bullheaded life avoiding technology like the plague. I work in nursing so knowing how to navigate a interface is the extent of my tech knowledge. I'm not trying to become a master hacker for anonymous but I would like to be able to understand the equipment that I use and not be left in the dark by the younger tech savvy generations behind me. Does anybody know where I should start?

    submitted by /u/WeelChairDrivBy
    [link] [comments]

    Hi reddit do any of you know what this cable is?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    Picture My subwoofer has two specific cable outputs, do any of you know what they are? specifically the white one I find nothing on the internet

    I need to know so that I can find a suitable amplifier (the original stereo receiver is broken)

    it's a SAW subwoofer WG 990

    submitted by /u/karbone
    [link] [comments]

    View post history of a TikTok Video?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    Is there someway to view how many likes a TikTok video had at a certain date or time. For example, I want to know how many likes a post had yesterday 6/30 at 3:00pm.

    submitted by /u/Abject-Purchase6718
    [link] [comments]

    Do you need a smartphone to use Alexa?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    My grandparents have been having health problems lately and we wanted to get them some of those speakers that you can ask to call people in case something happens and they can't get to the phone. We could set the speakers up with our phones if we need to, but they don't have smartphones, so the speakers would have to be devices that don't always need a smartphone around. Does Alexa need a smartphone to work? Are there any other types of these speakers that don't need smartphones that you'd recommend?

    submitted by /u/l0l_m8
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to send video output to another PC without a capture card?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 06:20 PM PDT

    Hello, I was wondering if it's possible to raw video output to another desktop PC without purchasing a expensive capture card? Maybe connect two PC's to one monitor and let one PC encode and the other do the content? I was also researching NDI, but it seems quality is lacking with that option. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Jo0wZ
    [link] [comments]

    So my PC keeps crashing. Help

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    Starting about a year ago, my pc has been crashing while gaming. It only seems to happen when something big needs to load, or i save my game... My pc does not crash when running even the most severe stress tests for hours at a time. It is not: Power supply (switched it out, hoping it would help), overheating, outdated drivers... I even tried factory resetting the pc a last resort... nothing has worked to fix the crashes. When the pc crashes it cuts the power completely, and then reboots as if nothing happened. Hopefully some tech buff out there can help troubleshoot this problem... Cus i rlly dont know anymore

    submitted by /u/AndersTheRose
    [link] [comments]

    Do USB 3 ports accommodate USB 2 devices?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    I just got a laptop that only has USB 3 ports. I want to plug in a mouse that has a USB 2 plug in and it's not going in. Judging from what I'm seeing online, I think the USB 3 port should be able to take in the USB 2 plug in, but it's not. It's a Lenovo Yoga 730-15Ikb.

    I was also looking for adapters but it seems that USB 3 to USB 2 adapters don't exist and my best bet would be to get a USB-C to USB adapter, which the reviews make it seem like the adapter would be able to handle both USB-3 and USB-2 plug ins. I guess I'm confused as to why that would be the case when my laptop's USB-3 port can't seem to handle both.

    submitted by /u/slightly_boblo
    [link] [comments]

    Help with unassigned space on disk (Windows 10)

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    So I have 300 GB unassigned on my 1 TB disk that I would like to merge together but it won't let me. When I try to extend the disk, it would just say "There's not enough space on the disk to complete this operation". Please help.

    submitted by /u/ADRBT
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard configuration

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    Hello, frens. I have a keyboard that can glow 3 types of colors: red(default one), blue and purple. To change the color, I just have to press the FN and SL keys on it, but I would like to know how to save a profile for it, since every time I reset my computer it changes back to the default color. I tried to look up manuals but couldn't find any.

    Here's a pic of my keyboard:
    https://imgur.com/a/nznOpe6

    submitted by /u/RupanSanseiIII
    [link] [comments]

    Tablet recommendation?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    I want to buy a tablet to edit Google Sheets on the street, but I need it to be connected to the internet so it updates in real-time on a PC at home.

    The only way of achieving that is with a tablet with cellular connectivity, right? I wouldn't want to provide internet to the tablet with my phone's data.

    Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Ivaanrl
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a tech product

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 05:21 AM PDT

    I apologize if this is the wrong sub.

    I am looking for a product (that may have only been a kickstarter) that was essentially a wildness wifi connection. But it wasnt to the WWW, but just between those physical products.

    An example of this would be relaying data from a remote site back to "base" without the need of laying cables. Tye connection would be secure as well, since it doesnt connect to the broader internet. You could even just use it to text to a separate point.

    I do not know the its potential range.

    Again, I'm sorry of this isn't the right subreddit.

    submitted by /u/MrchntMariner86
    [link] [comments]

    Mobile Router Questions

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    My tech comprehension skills are a little behind, so I was hoping to get some help.

    I'll be moving into a camper van full-time next week, and I need to find a WiFi solution. I'm still going to be working remotely, and I need to ability to do video calls for work. I also keep in touch with most of my friends by playing video games (Rocket League, COD, etc). I would like to continue doing the latter if possible.

    I've been reading up on the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Router, and it seems to really do the job. Now I just need to find a plan.

    Is it possible to purchase a GSM unlocked router (i.e. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083ZMC7C8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6Tm.EbSDNQCQZ), and then purchase a data plan and a SIM Card through a major carrier?

    For example, if I got the AT&T Prepaid Unlimited plan or a T-Mobile prepaid plan, could I just pop in the SIM Card and have it work?

    submitted by /u/AlmostRegularAndy
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help with slow Lenovo laptop

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    My girlfriend has a Lenovo laptop she stopped using since it extremely slow, actually it has been slow since she first bought it from the store. I thought maybe the pre-installed applications were the problem so I made a fresh installation of Windows 10 from usb image.

    The laptop is still quite slow even after reinstalling Windows. For example, we need to wait 15-30 min for it to start after logging into the machine. I am not sure what else could I try.

    Please find the laptop specs below. I would really appreciate yours suggestions.

    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    System SKU LENOVO_MT_80SR_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo ideapad 510-15ISK
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2592 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.91 GB
    Available Physical Memory 4.17 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 9.34 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.59 GB
    Page File Space 1.44 GB

    submitted by /u/sibneq
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for WiFi advice

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    My family has a timeshare in Vermont and there's no cell service there. Since there are times when no one is at the house for months at a time, nobody wants to get a standard WiFi service because we don't want to pay for it while we're not there. Are there any options for temporary or "pay as you use" WiFi services?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/FullGrownHip
    [link] [comments]

    Earphones not working on tab

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:45 AM PDT

    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (SM-T230) Android version 4.4 KitKat. The pair of earphones i have been using for the last 2 months have been working fine on this tab. However, this morning, i tried them and they aren't working. They do deliver the sound, it's just barely audible. Earphones work fine on other devices i tried. I checked all volume and audio settings on the tab but no effect. Any suggestions on how to solve it?

    submitted by /u/Eigengrau24
    [link] [comments]

    Bypass?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:58 AM PDT

    Is there anyway that you can bypass the ask to buy on AppStore on your iPhone?

    submitted by /u/CheeShay
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment