• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 8, 2020

    Tech Support - Old 32 bit PC; recycle it or use linux for web browsing?

    Tech Support - Old 32 bit PC; recycle it or use linux for web browsing?


    Old 32 bit PC; recycle it or use linux for web browsing?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Just as title suggests, I have an old Dell Dimension 4700 PC and was considering downloading ubuntu on it just to use for a browser for my parents. But I just checked and it seems they ended support for 32 bit cpu architectures. Makes me consider just recycling it and be done with it. Btw, where can I recycle them properly?

    submitted by /u/SnooDoughnuts9361
    [link] [comments]

    After flash goes down, will we still be able to play flash games?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:33 PM PDT

    MacBook was given remote access to a scammer. If I turn off the laptop and remove the battery, can the computer still be turned on or remotely accessed?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    My laptop was given remote access by a scammer who posed as a technician. I quickly realized and deleted the program used (citrix). I removed the program from my MacBook and looked for any remaining files. I'm waiting on an appointment to have the laptop deeply scanned and reformatted to original settings, but in the meantime I want to make sure that if I keep it off and remove the physical battery, it can't be remotely accessed like a zombie machine if the scammer left any malware or viruses I didn't remove?

    MacBook was given remote access to a scammer. If I turn off the laptop and remove the battery, can the computer still be turned on or remotely accessed?

    submitted by /u/migimagi
    [link] [comments]

    Is photoshop cs2 still available for download from adobe?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    My photoshop cs2 was glitchy so I uninstalled and was planning to reinstall but the bookedmarked page where I originally downloaded it from was gone instead I was sent to the adobe help center. Did I just make a huge mistake by uninstalling?

    submitted by /u/aaaaarrggghh
    [link] [comments]

    Now that google plus is gone can my email contacts still view what i download on my playstore?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Phone that doesn't care about camera?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:43 PM PDT

    Every phone nowadays has mediocre hardware and putting in hundreds of dollars into a camera. Does anyone know a phone that focuses on the CPU/Ram/Battery/etc instead of the camera? I don't want to spend an extra couple hundred on something I am not going to use.

    submitted by /u/For_O
    [link] [comments]

    Question about RAM speed

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    In my laptop, I have 2 slots for ddr4. One of those slots is populated by a 16GB stick of ddr4-3200. The other slot is empty. My friend offered to switch with me, so I wouldn't be spending money on this. If I changed this to 2 8GB sticks of ddr4- 2666, would my overall performance go up, down, or stay the same?

    The rest of the stuff in the laptop is a Ryzen 4800H and a GTX 1660ti.

    submitted by /u/GeoffWK
    [link] [comments]

    How to check if a device supports MU-MIMO?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:07 AM PDT

    I assume in windows you could check adapter settings in advanced and if you had it it would show up in there, is that correct? Or is there somewhere else to look for it? And where would I look on my android to check?

    submitted by /u/Pacman042
    [link] [comments]

    Phone landline data store

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    I've got a landline phone from bt that had some very important voicemails on it they have been deleted accidentally can anyone tell me the sort of data storage methods these old phones were using its about 10 years old I can message you a picture of it and the model number if that helps Thanks

    submitted by /u/seanwaine0
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to get a new laptop?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    So in June of 2016 I purchased and customized a Gigabyte P34Wv5-SL2. Here are the specs:

    + 2 TB SSD

    + 1 TB HDD

    + 32 GB RAM

    + Intel® Skylake™ i7-6700HQ Processor

    + NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 970M Graphics Card

    It cost almost 2K USD. 2-3 years ago my roommate spilled beer on it and crashed the motherboard. It costs about $800 to fix it via Gigabyte manufacturers which she paid back gradually. This is important because my laptop randomly shut off two days ago.

    After taking it to a computer repair store, they said --

    "If Gigabyte provided the only other service, then looks like they repaired your board or gave you a refurbished one. It's melted and/or burned out electrical components like capacitors and resistors. There are some that are very small and unlikely to be easily identified (nearly missed altogether) without a schematic."

    The computer repair store said they are unable to repair it without a schematic and they can't find the motherboard online either because it's outdated or unpopular. I suggested taking it to Gigabyte who will fix it for a cost past the warranty date but the guy at the repair store suggested I buy a new laptop and that it's likely "more depreciated than you might want to think."

    Considering I haven't technically spent a dime on repairs previously, spending what looks like another $800 for a laptop that once cost $1900 doesn't seem outrageous to me, though it is a hefty price. And to buy another laptop of this quality would almost definitely cost more than $800.

    But I'm looking for second opinions. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/dablkscorpio
    [link] [comments]

    Why are my actual internet download speeds faster than what I'm paying for?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:20 PM PDT

    First of all, I'm not complaining lol I just want to know how this is even possible. My current understanding is that internet companies throttle your speeds to max out at whatever your plan says you're paying for, and you get that or the best your modem can do, whichever is lower. But after testing across different speed tests (speedof.me, speedtest.net, and even xfinity's own), I get 90-100 Mbps download even though my plan is for 75.

    Could it be that my modem is responsible? Or are these tests not as accurate as they say? (Which I'm skeptical about because they've been accurate in the past, but that's just anecdotal I guess.)

    Edit: I know this is just another internet speed question, but it is the opposite of what everyone else seems to experience, so I hope this is still allowed

    submitted by /u/mathandplants
    [link] [comments]

    Hi everyone. I want to create a piece of media that shows which track is being played on DJ software and changes automatically as the track changes. is this possible?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:39 AM PDT

    thanks in advance. if you could at least point me in the right direction for where to ask, that would be wonderful.

    peace

    submitted by /u/sumsolaradio
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys know a website that would alert you when new hardware, the Synology DS1620xs/DS1621xs gets released?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    Does Intel HD graphics 5500 support a 10-bit color depth external display? If not, does it mean the external monitor won't function at all when connected to the system?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I am planning to buy a 2k monitor with 10-bit color depth. I am not sure if a 10-bit monitor work on a laptop with graphic card which supports only 8-bit. So I wanted to know whether my Intel HD 5500 support 10-bit display.

    If it doesn't, does that mean the monitor won't work at all when connected to my laptop, or just it will work but it will display only 8-bit colors.

    submitted by /u/alifashf
    [link] [comments]

    a.gray.plugingame.d

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:44 AM PDT

    hi everyone, I'm a bit new here so excuse me if i do anything wrong. I recently downloaded an apk file and I ran it through virustotal, and it came up positive for something under tencent called "a.gray.plugingame.d" anyone has any idea what this is and if its harmful to my device?

    submitted by /u/ash_chia
    [link] [comments]

    I've just seen a video where a 2D character is made to lip-sync to Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know". What software would have been used to make it?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    I've grown incredibly interested in AI lately, especially over at "ArtBreeder", a website that uses AI to generate and amalgamate different faces, art styles, landscapes, etc.

    I came across this video of a game character lip-syncing to the title song in an incredibly convincing manner, and it looks to me as though AI was used? It's linked here: https://twitter.com/PharaohOW/status/1291439684464279554

    Does anybody here know how this would have been made and if the software or the API to do so is publicly available?

    Many thanks!

    submitted by /u/DVXC
    [link] [comments]

    Playback between devices with varying levels of resolution between them.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:13 AM PDT

    If I play, for example, a video in 4K quality on a laptop with a 2K resolution max but I have it connected to a 4K monitor/TV screen, will it play in full 4K quality or just upscaled?

    submitted by /u/darthjewbacca1138
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment