• Breaking News

    Monday, August 24, 2020

    Tech Support - How to prevent people from clicking into zip-files without extracting before?

    Tech Support - How to prevent people from clicking into zip-files without extracting before?


    How to prevent people from clicking into zip-files without extracting before?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 02:08 AM PDT

    Microsoft invented this great thing where you do not need to unzip/extract an archive to access single files from that. Unfortunately a lot of people don't even realize anymore that they did indeed not extract it, but just opened it and accessed only one single file.

    So I need to send out a tool a lot, which is packed in an zip-archive and needs to be extracted before used (so that the tool itself can access all the data that is included in the folders of the zip file). Sometimes the tool doesn't work because people don't realize the above mentioned thing (they tell me they have indeed unzipped, but they didn't) and I would like to prevent this somehow.

    This is both an issue on Windows (after downloading), as well on OneDrive - so the downloading itself is already an issue sometimes.

    Is there an option to force extracting? I tried to use a password protection, but even then I can click into the archive and it asks only if I try to access a single file within the archive.

    It needs to be a .zip, I am using 7zip for archiving.

    submitted by /u/dolly_flowerfriend
    [link] [comments]

    Which wireless all in one printer under $150 would be best for occasional home use?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    I want to buy a printer. It should be wireless and all in one. It would be used occasionally.

    submitted by /u/Porush_Kumar
    [link] [comments]

    Device to track wallet over cellular?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    So I almost lost my wallet last night (thankfully it was in the house). And it would have been pretty catastrophic timing I realized that I need to find a preventative solution.

    I see a lot of Bluetooth and RFID devices on the market.

    But what I'd really like would be some kind of chip I could attach to the wallet (could be chargable) and which tracks the wallet over GPS / cellular.

    Why? Because I don't want to rely upon my wallet and phone being colocated.

    Many products seem to work on that assumption: ie, the tracker will keep a BT connection to the phone and send an alert if it's out of range. That's a nice idea but in practice I often don't have my phone on me every time I carry my wallet around.

    Any solution which has the latter implementation? I'm aware that it would probably cost much more than the simple Bluetooth trackers if it exists and would be happy to pay the higher price point for a more reliable tracking technology.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/drjlm3
    [link] [comments]

    I believe my laptop's battery a little swollen, however it would be incredibly inconvenient to get a replacement or stop using it at the moment. Given that the swelling is minimal, would I be safe to wait 4 days before replacing it?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    How do ads work on Youtube?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    I've heard that skipping the ads means the creator of the video doesn't get money. Is this true?

    What if you have Youtube Premium? I've heard that adblocks usually mean the Youtuber doesn't get money.

    What if I start a video, but close it entirely once an ad starts playing?

    I've also heard that you have to watch at least 30 seconds, then you can skip. If this is true, what about ads that are less than 30 seconds, or the unskippable 5 second ads? Do the Youtubers even make money off those ads?

    What about the ones that pop up that you click the X on? Does clicking the X vs allowing it to fade away make a difference?

    What if it is a double ad? If I watch one and then skip the second, does the Youtuber at least get money from the first ad? What if I skip both ads?

    Also, how much money does a Youtuber make per ad?

    submitted by /u/TheMadJAM
    [link] [comments]

    Amazon tablet question

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    My kids have amazon fire kids tablets that they got for Xmas last year. For school i wanted them to be able to connect them to monitors. I have two monitors with hdmi ports but i just read that they are not mhl compatible. Is there a way to do this or do i need to get them cheap laptops? They spend a lot of time with their grandma while I work so im hoping for just a plug and play situation as she is not tech savvy at all. I apologize if this is the wrong sub but any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/Matzafari
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a tool to extract friends email addresses from Facebook before I close my account

    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 01:10 AM PDT

    Attempting to close and delete my Facebook account, the main reason I've been holding on to it is a variety of friends round the world that I'm only in contact with through Facebook. Looking to at least gather contacts before I go. Would do it manually but there's a couple of hundred. Googling has shown there was a method of extracting via Yahoo mail but that doesn't seem to work anymore, and I'm unsure on any of these tools on offer (seem to be focused on mass marketing rather than just getting your friends emails)

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/teaandsleep
    [link] [comments]

    If I remove the hard drive from my Mac desktop and donate it, will someone be able to put in a new hard drive and still use it?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    I have an old iMAC (mid 2010) that still works but I'd like to donate it to a charity that recycles and refurbishes old computers. My understanding is that deleting and cleaning out files still leaves some traces of you on the computer and that the only guaranteed way that no one will have access to your info is by removing the hard drive. Is this correct?

    TL;DR I want to donate my iMac so that someone can use it but I want to make sure that none of my info is on there.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/amberheartss
    [link] [comments]

    What are applications of IoT in the energy industry?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    I want to learn

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Hi everybody,

    So right now im jobless at home, and i was thinking maybe i could learn some useful stuff, like anything related to systems and technology. I went to the webpage of the best university in technology in my country and got a list of all the classes and i will look for the topics on google.

    Is there any theme or topic that you recommend i look for? Any pdf? videos on youtube?

    My level of knowledge is very amateur i think, i know a few things mostly because i like videogames.

    I also searched for online courses but at the moment i cant pay them, and ive seen many videos explaining that usually IT people learn a lot of stuff just because they know how to use google, so thats it.

    submitted by /u/anto_pty
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix this: laptop to TV: Image black or delayed, but captions and audio are on time.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    We have an Lenovo i3 ideapad and connected it to our Samsung TV (non smart). Here is the thing: when watching Netflix the screen on the TV displays black but shows captions on time, also the audio is on time. Sometimes the picture will come in but It's choppy and delayed. All this time it's always on time on the laptop.

    I have gaming mode set but you'd think if it's a true processing issue then the captions wouldn't come in correctly. I'm at a total loss.

    I tried this issue with YouTube, crunchy roll, and Netflix all with varying degrees of issues. How do I fix this?

    submitted by /u/DreamingIn3D
    [link] [comments]

    Best USB wifi for college dorms?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    Hi! I just brought my PC into my dorms and just found out their ethernet ports no longer work. Can I get some good recommendations specifically for USB wifi adapters? I intend to mainly do work, but I like to play games when I have free time. Anyways, I am looking for a good wifi adapter that is somewhat fast so can I get some recommendations? I am looking to spend under $100, but my recommended price is below or around $50!

    submitted by /u/i-n33d-h3lp
    [link] [comments]

    Why do westerns especially Americans support and buy apple products instead of Samsung ?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    I don't understand apple products are more expensive than Samsung no freedom when you use your device no wired earphones you can't share files from different devices and they are a monopoly they can ban any app they don't like on their system like xcloud, anything that is made with unreal engine, and Google stadia this is like Microsoft banning steam because they want from people to buy from the Windows store

    submitted by /u/Ghost-warrior4
    [link] [comments]

    Can you help me make the short videos I was texted/emailed less blurry?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    I am gathering short videos from various people for a project and a couple of them are blurry. It seems like there should be an easy way to sharpen the resolution but I can't figure it out. iMovie on my iPad didn't seem to have a way to fix this. I had hoped there would be a bot or something on reddit. Do you all have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Slothead7
    [link] [comments]

    Durable/Rugged USB Flash Drive?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    Anyone have any recommendations for a durable/rugged USB flash drive of at least 4GB and without a detachable cap?

    It's going to be brutalized on a daily basis, on a keyring all day in my pocket, for use predominantly indoors and on transportation. It may also be exposed to hot and humid environments for a prolonged periods of time.

    submitted by /u/italktomyfood
    [link] [comments]

    Would a emulator/VM stop a browser extension from collecting data about my local device and network?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    My college has decided to use a google chrome extension called HonorLock to monitor people taking exams remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic. I'm a bit hesitant about installing it due to how much data it may collect. I can't see any way around having to scan my room, enable camera/audio, and show photo id but I want to know if running some kind of emulator/virtual machine would allow me to prevent it from collecting data about my local device, network, or network devices. It occurs to me that if it would work, one could try to use that to their advantage and cheat somehow, but that is not what I want to do. Obviously I can't really prove this but I will just say that as a general rule I do not lie and I hope people believe me and will answer my question.

    submitted by /u/CowzerOwzer7
    [link] [comments]

    My SD 64GB micro sd card won't change to FAT32

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    Hello, I have a 64GB Sandisk micro sd card, I want to run my RPi Z W
    but it doesn't change to FAT32 with all softwares that do it
    please help if you can!!

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/IM915
    [link] [comments]

    Tablets and note-taking

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    Please let me know if there might be a better subreddit for this question.

    Are the note-taking apps available through iOS worth buying an iPad if I already have a Microsoft Surface 6?

    I'm hearing from many of my college classmates that iOS offers far superior note-taking apps.

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/The_Head_Shrinker
    [link] [comments]

    Picking an exact phone number possible?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 07:45 AM PDT

    I had this app textnow where I had a specific phone number, but unfortunately, the number got recycled due to inactivity and now I no longer have access to it.

    However, I still have multiple accounts linked to this old number, but I can't get their verification codes. Are there any apps out there where I could pick this exact number again and therefore receive the verification code?

    submitted by /u/GWillHunting
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple wireless headsets in same location

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    So my teenage son and I both play PC games in the same room (on separate PCs). I have a wireless headset with a USB dongle plugged into my PC, and I'd like to get him the same headset for his own PC. We'll be literally 3 feet away from each other. Will we run into any issues?

    submitted by /u/Usernaame2
    [link] [comments]

    Bluetooth Adaptor for PC?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    I have a Dualshock PS4 controller that I want to connect to my PC (to play games like GTA V and Fall Guys), but my PC doesn't have in-build Bluetooth. What Bluetooth adaptor should I get to be able to do this?

    Now I know I could get the official Sony adaptor, however I'd rather not spend that sort of money and am simply wondering if any old Bluetooth dongle works for this purpose (Here is the option I am considering: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDVQMY4?pf_rd_r=VPNG3RBAKV98XDQCZ4GY&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e) or if the official kit is required. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/bmason_763
    [link] [comments]

    Can copying word content (text and images) be traced?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    Hello techies

    Lets say my boss sent me a word document that is only meant for me to use and i copy and paste the content of that word document to another word document and send it to my wife or whatever. Can this content be incrypted with a tracker of some sort, that can tell my boss that multiple computers have worked on that second document?

    I hope this question is not stupid and thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/Don_7even7even
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment