• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 23, 2020

    Tech Support - Recommendations for MESH WiFi bundes/ecosystems?

    Tech Support - Recommendations for MESH WiFi bundes/ecosystems?


    Recommendations for MESH WiFi bundes/ecosystems?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    Since we're pretty much all WFH and doing Zoom (for work meetings and classes) galore, adding smart devices, etc., my WiFi setup is really starting to let me down. I think I need a mesh network so that I can have strong WiFi in each room of my longer rather than squarer house. My house is a single story.

    Here are some requirements:

    - Mesh or the ability to walk between WiFi zones without disconnects, drops, etc.

    - Solution must connect via the Mesh or via gigabit LAN to the other "stations" (prefer having the option to do either)

    - Expandable if I need more "repeaters"

    - Will be used in AP mode

    - Must support at least 500 Mbps (this is my internet speed), preferably > 1 Gbps

    - Must support 2.4 GHz WiFi as well as 5 GHz (bonus: whatever WiFi 6 is)

    - We have the following devices: 2 x iPhone X, 2 x iPad current gen, Apple TV, Ring Doorbell, 2 Ring Floodlight Cams, 1 Ring Stick up Cam, 3 Echo Dots, 10 WeMo lights, 2 Amazon Smart Plugs, 2 B-hyve Smart Watering hubs, 6 Computers, 4 air quality sensors, plus I'm sure I'll add more devices at some point

    I've looked at Eero Pro (seems ok, but also seems like it maxes out at 600 Mbps), Orbi Pro RBK853 (seems really nice but it seems like they are marred by firmware problems).

    Does anyone have one they really like? Can anyone tell me one that they don't like?

    I feel like I'll probably need 3-4 "stations" to cover my house properly.

    submitted by /u/dzendian
    [link] [comments]

    Console life time

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 03:31 AM PDT

    Why happens when the console reaches the "end of it's lifetime?

    submitted by /u/LemonNipps
    [link] [comments]

    When a family member leaves the house with their phone, the house internet goes about 95% slower for about 2 minutes. Why?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:53 AM PDT

    Can You Identify This Windows 10 PC Sound?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Hi. I'm using Windows 10, and there's a sound that plays that's not in the Windows sounds menu, and I can't figure out what's playing the sound. Can anyone identify this please? Thanks,

    https://youtu.be/36yCRXH-hps

    submitted by /u/AwTurds
    [link] [comments]

    Can you double up-res 4k, i.e. 4k blu ray player/av box that up-res + 4k Oled that upres?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    FIRST, As the title implies is there any purpose to have a av box or blu-ray payer that up-res to 4k when my new 4k tv already does this (i.e. does it double up-res)?

    SECOND, the tv [LG 4k OLED ~77inch] is brand new, while the av box and dvd player are a bit older, is it actually worse not to run imaging say from dish, or a dvd player, etc. to the tv (rather than the av box first) since it would use the av box to up res as opposed to the tv first (i.e. are the algorithms that do the up-res more advanced in the newer technology, so it would be smarter to run the image first to the TV)?

    THIRD, this ones kind of stupid [or more stupid] can and does the sound get up-res (i.e. from a dvd or standard blu-ray going to a newer tv?

    Edit: If you could sight a source or give an explanation other than a simple yes, or no type answer it would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/King__Artemis
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use the Nest WiFi Point with my existing router to extend the WiFi across our property?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 06:29 PM PDT

    I don't know if this is the right sub, but I thought I would start here. I have what I think is probably a bit of a unique situation. My wife and I currently reside in the carriage house adjacent to my in-laws' house. The WiFi in the carriage house is consistently horrible, especially on the far side of the carriage house. I was thinking about buying the Google Nest WiFi Point, but I wasn't sure if that would be possible or if it was even my best option.

    There are a few pictures linked throughout the post to help visualize our living situation. Picture #1. Picture #2.

    Part of the carriage is two stories (Picture #3) and the other part is one story (Picture #4). Downstairs, the entire length of the carriage house is about 100 feet. Picture #5.

    The side of the carriage house closest to the main house is two stories. The first floor has a garage and off the garage is a storage room and a mud room. Above the garage, mud room, and storage room is a second story that has a living room area and a long room off it that run along the front of house above the garage that I use as an at-home office. The WiFi there is usually pretty good.

    Back downstairs, if you start from the point closest to the main house, then you have the storage room, the mud room, a full kitchen, a short hallway with a full bathroom off to the right, then it opens up to our bedroom, and past our bedroom is our 18-month-old son's bedroom. There are doors between each of these rooms.

    My in-laws have run an Ethernet cable underground from the main house to the storage room of the carriage house. Picture #6.

    Inside the storage room is a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Mesh Extender Extreme Dual Band WiFi. Again, from where the AC1900 Nighthawk is located to the end of my son's room is about 100 feet. We can't pull the AC1900 Nighthawk in any further because the Ethernet cable is basically fully extended.

    Given the description above, I'm looking for recommendations on how to improve the WiFi throughout the entire carriage house, but, in particular, our bedroom and our son's bedroom. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve bothering my in-laws and that doesn't somehow require use of the router in the main house.

    Would I be able to purchase just the Nest WiFi Point and connect it to the AC1900 Nighthawk or would I have to ditch the Nighthawk and purchase the Nest WiFi Router and one or more WiFi Points to extend the WiFi down the carriage house?

    Thanks for bearing with me and reading this post. Any suggestions that people can offer would be really appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/I_AM_LAW_SCHOOL
    [link] [comments]

    Trade i5-7600K for i7-6700K?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:07 AM PDT

    Hey,

    a friend is offering me to trade my i5-7600K for his i7-6700K (that he doesn't really need). I'm not sure whether this trade will be worth it for me, so he benchmarked the i7-6700K and I benchmarked my i5-7600K: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/255744?baseline=3380659 As you can see, the i5-7600K performs better in single-core tasks, but is outperformed in most multi-core tasks. I'm not sure whether I will actually notice the improvement in multi-core performance. The only really CPU intensive tasks I run are gaming and sometimes I compile smaller programs. The i7-6700K also doesn't officially support DDR4-2400, which I'm currently using, and I don't know if that will be a problem either. On the other hand, the i7-6700K has a larger L3 Cache (by 2MB).

    Thanks in advance, looking forward to your advice!

    submitted by /u/jkhsjdhjs
    [link] [comments]

    My mom got me an ipad, but I don't know the passcode. How can I get in it or reset it without the code?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    Is there any alternative to the ASUS ROG Twinview Dock usable with other phones?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    I have seen that the ASUS ROG phones have a compatible accessory called the Twinview dock, that provides a second screen to use during gaming or other purposes with the ROG phone.

    My question is, being a non-ASUS phone user, do I have any similar dock choices for my phone? I would love to be able to use a similar device with my smartphone instead of having to buy the ROG phone with the dock.

    Or, is that twinview dock compatible with other phones as well??

    submitted by /u/SilverPaladin36
    [link] [comments]

    Windows doesn’t load up

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:04 PM PDT

    My laptop ran into a problem (driver irql not less or equal) and had to restart when i tried restarting it, it kept showing the loading window. I hard restarted it then i tried again for 2 times it started showing automatic repair. It stuck on it for some time and then opened the recovery loadout. It boots up in safe mode but doesnt normally. I tried system restore didnt help watched couple of videos on yt didnt help at all. What should i do?

    submitted by /u/HotSaucePapi69
    [link] [comments]

    How to Root a 1st Gen Kindle Fire Using a Mac?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Hi there! I found my old 1st generation Kindle Fire which I haven't used in ages, but still works fine. But, I have no use for it as is, so I wanted to try my hand at turning it into a useful Android tablet. I found this thread and looked through the resources it links to, but couldn't find instructions that would work with a Mac (I don't have a PC I can use). Can anyone help me find a resource that might guide me through this project? I looked around on Google, XDA, and Reddit but couldn't find much that would help. Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/dangdangrous
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to replace a lost remote to a shady Chinese treadmill?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    Sorry if this is the wrong sub. I can't find much else online for help. Long story short, my sister lost the remote to this treadmill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X33B2QY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_AnwqFbZYDRVC5

    It straight up doesn't work without it, and I can't get in contact with the company that sold it. Anyone have any tips for getting this fixed?

    submitted by /u/noideawhatimdoing20
    [link] [comments]

    Being spied on online by a family member, how do I protect myself?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:24 AM PDT

    Me and my brother have a mixed relationship. When he doesn't get his way he would usually go to physical abuse to get what he wants or verbally. But in recent years he's been using things I do online against me and I have no clue how he knows most things I do online.

    A year back I would talk to a girl on some penpal app where you send letters (app name is Slowly) and he knew about me going on that app and would just mention it to embarrass me.

    Then he would mention websites and stuff I would go on, and other friendships I had with the opposite sex in a way to embarrass me.

    I don't get his problem. All I want is my own privacy and I've tried to protect it by changing my phone and laptop passcodes, etc. He still knows so I just assume he's going through some internet logs on the router.

    I seriously have no idea how he's doing any of this, and I have no privacy. Do you guys have a clue how he's doing any of this?

    submitted by /u/chad_living
    [link] [comments]

    Using LDAC on a MAC or PC

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    The new Sony XM4 Headphones abandon aptX which means AAC is the highest available bluetooth quality when connected to a mac. I'm very curious if there are any USB transmitters with LDAC to

    submitted by /u/Grzz_ly
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking for a WiFi extender via ethernet

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:51 AM PDT

    I need a WiFi extender. But I would like one that would extend WiFi through ethernet.

    Router --ethernet--> extender

    Is there such a thing? Or are they all wall plugs?

    submitted by /u/GenderBenderBitch
    [link] [comments]

    PC recommendation

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:11 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, so i am going to go to university in a month and i was wondering, since it is in another country i was wondering, i really wanted a gaming computer so, i either will be getting a gaming computer which i will leave there every time i will be coming back to my original country so this includes christmas, easter, and about 2 months in the summer, if i do buy a gaming computer i will be buying a cheap laptop to bring to the university and back to my country. The other option i have is buying a gaming laptop and moving it, which will mean i will always have something strong to play video games on etc. What do you guys/girls think? All replies are appreciated!

    submitted by /u/rFracked
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment