• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 7, 2019

    Tech Support - Building a mid range pc for the family; can we have it all?

    Tech Support - Building a mid range pc for the family; can we have it all?


    Building a mid range pc for the family; can we have it all?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 04:49 PM PST

    One child wants to make music and has a guitar/microphone that she wants to record and do some editing.

    One child loves art and animation. She has a drawing tablet which can plug into a PC. So say graphic design and animation.

    Can I build a PC (~1000 CDN) that can handle those requirements? I may have a donated video card; a ZOTAC 1060 Amped edition.

    Bonus points if it can also function as a gaming computer.

    submitted by /u/cribbageSTARSHIP
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between low band 5g and 4g+?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 04:05 AM PST

    As far as I know speeds and latency are comparable.And why low band 5g should be used over 4g+?

    submitted by /u/nikitastaf1996
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I plug in my desktop PC and does it really matter?

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 03:28 AM PST

    My computer is 3 years old and is getting slow at certain stuff like video editing. Right now it's plugged into this large multi-outlet extension cord which is plugged into the wall. This single extension cord also has my phone charger, monitor plugs, speakers, and a few lights. Essentially, my entire office/desk experience operates using a single entension cord outlet thingy that is plugged into one single wall outlet.

    Aside from maybe being a fire hazard, does this setup actually slow down my computer? If I plug my computer directly into the wall, will it run any faster?

    submitted by /u/Master_Vicen
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid loud beep at 3 am

    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 12:27 AM PST

    I recently got a hp omen gaming pc from a friend and he reset the whole system. Every night around 3 am and 6 am I heard 2 very loud beeps and it scares me and wakes me up. Any advice on how to get this to stop? I checked and theres no alarm set

    submitted by /u/darkbengician94721
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a browser extension like this?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 04:06 PM PST

    I would like some browser extension -if it exists- for fast navigation that works like this:

    Whenever I am on a website and I'm not on an input field, if I start typing it searches the possible links -and only links, not all words- containing what I type, 'selects' the first candidate while being able to cycle through matches, let's say via tab, and if I press enter it behaves as if I clicked the selected link and the process starts again in that new page.

    I think this would be incredibly useful and it would accelerate a lot my navigation. I don't know if it's possible but I guess iterating through the displayed text for all links in a page should be quite doable.

    I use Firefox btw.

    submitted by /u/h0peless_b4stard
    [link] [comments]

    Is using plain FTP for a public government server safe?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 10:43 AM PST

    I am trying to download this county's parcel maps, but they ask to only use plain FTP which I understand sends your credentials over clear over the Internet. But since the credentials are public, would this be safe, since I would just be sending and downloading what anyone can access?

    submitted by /u/ozmataz111
    [link] [comments]

    Just deleted the data partition of my office's PC. How to recover?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 04:38 PM PST

    Hi everyone. So I acidentally deleted the partition of my work PC's data HD. My PC has a 500 GB SSD running Windows 10 and a 2 TB data HD that I use only for projects storage.

    Fortunately I didnt format it and the data didnt was overwritten. I tryed EaseUS Data Recovery and it located all my missing files, but it asks for another hard drive to backup the found files. Problem is that I dont have another 2 TB HD (mine was like 80% full).

    Is there a way to recover my files right back to my HD? What would be the safest way to recover my data?

    submitted by /u/kylezenh0
    [link] [comments]

    If I buy a second pc, can I buy a wireless adapter for my router instead of using an Ethernet cable?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 03:44 PM PST

    Looking for scanner recommendation.

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 03:17 PM PST

    In need of a scanner model recommendation, and fujitsu sales is closed.

    Requirements:
    able to scan plastic cards (gift cards, driver's licenses, etc)

    compatible with optical character recognition software (software that turns your scanned doc into an editable file)

    TWAIN-compliant

    capable of duplex scanning

    fits comfortably on a desk (we're getting several for an office, and yes each person needs their own, and these need to fit well). for reference, the model i was looking at before was a fujitsu fi-7260 but it looks big enough to be annoying. here's a timestamp of it compared to someone for scale: https://youtu.be/MDx-XgQhmUc?t=139

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/chicodesopa
    [link] [comments]

    Why are ONLY certain apps not working ONLY on my phone and ONLY on wifi?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 08:54 AM PST

    Sorry if this doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll delete the post!

    I had problems with my wifi and my router was changed yesterday.

    Since then, twitter, reddit, pinterest and Netflix are suddenly not working on my phone. Everything else works perfectly, and my roommate can use the apps on her phone with no problem. I can also enter twitter, netflix, etc... In my computer and they also work perfectly there.

    I've googled this issue and many other people have had this problem but I can't seem to find a way to fix it. The only way I can use these apps while on wifi is by using a VPN.

    I'm not very tech savvy and I need some help to solve this since I don't have the money to pay for a VPN and I'm only using a free 500mb one right now.

    Help, please?

    I'm on a Mi A1 if that's any help. I had changed the router's network name and I thought maybe that was the problem, so I tried to turn it off and on again, I tried to do a factory reset, I tried changing the channel, and nothing. It gives me the same result.

    EDIT: I've also realized that my isp seems to have blocked sites like gnula, since I can't access them on google chrome, only when using Opera with its VPN activated. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

    submitted by /u/sxrgxnt
    [link] [comments]

    Webcam recommendations for non-tech savvy older chap!

    Posted: 06 Dec 2019 06:12 AM PST

    I'm expecting my first wee one in the next few months, and most of my family live abroad. I'm looking to make video calling as easy and quality as possible, as for many it'll be the main interaction as they grow. Trouble is, my dad is really really bad with technology. Like, the first five minutes of any video call is him grumbling and yelling at his laptop.

    I want to get him a webcam so he can see his granddaughter but it needs to be super, hyper user-friendly. I think the key features I'm looking for:
    - As easy to setup as possible
    - Connects to a TV as easily as possible
    - As straightforward to call me as possible (preferably with a single command or button press)
    - Good quality picture

    I looked at a few webcams but they'd likely be too complex, and the FB Portal but I'm really wary of the privacy issues (and suspect he will be too). I'm a bit stumped on what would work - does anyone have similar experiences and solutions they'd share?

    submitted by /u/agentlemanoleisure
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment