• Breaking News

    Friday, July 10, 2020

    Tech Support - How do we interpret these connection speed jumps?

    Tech Support - How do we interpret these connection speed jumps?


    How do we interpret these connection speed jumps?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 02:42 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    So I've been running speed tests using speedof.me, and I noticed that my results look like this:

    https://i.speedof.me/200710074520-730

    Why is my connection fluctuating in this fashion?

    I have a TP-link modem router, and this result is obtained in the absence of electricity in surrounding appliances that might cause interference.

    Is it something to do with the filter? (I have VDSL connection).

    I replaced many filters, but the problem of getting disconnected is still there. Telecom support guaranteed that there's no problem with our landline copper cables, so it's probably an internal problem that they do not cover.

    Any thoughts?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/dankam13
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible that someone isn't able to text you on WhatsApp if they lost all their phone contacts, even though you had already texted with them on WhatsApp?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 12:19 AM PDT

    When I delete a phone contact that I had already texted with on WhatsApp, the chat is still there and I can still text them.

    submitted by /u/Tom3210
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless HMDI

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    I just did a quick Google search to see if this technology is even real and it appears to exist. I'm a recent amputee and do a lot from my bed. I have a high end laptop I use for working and projects and an old desktop with an hdmi connection to a TV in my room. What I have in mind for wireless hdmi is it would be very convenient for me to be able to put a dongle into my laptop that lets me throw YouTube up on my TV for music, which is only a couple meters away from me, rather than having to wrestle the hdmi cable attached to my desktop and plug it into my laptop. If I were to get this I would also ideally like to be able to put up movies and tv with it. I don't plan on doing any gaming this way because the laptop is for work and that is why my desktop exists. From your knowledge and/or experience would I experience any noticeable loss in quality or songs skipping from this? Another question I have is if this would only be feasible if I purchase an extremely expensive wireless hdmi solution. This is just a convenience idea and not a necessity so if the cost of this will be exorbitant than I'd rather not purse it further. Thanks to anyone who reads through this or replies with advice :) I feel I should also mention that although I can already accomplish this with the desktop, it is an older pc and it would be more convenient for me to be able to just plug a dongle in my laptop than turning on my desktop and having to use a seperate keyboard and mouse just for YouTube and movies on occasion.

    TLDR: is a wireless hdmi dongle for a few meters worth the cost for convenience of streaming music and occasionally watching movies?

    submitted by /u/SpaceManStann
    [link] [comments]

    Are there also "lightweight websites" as there are lightweight software/distro?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 04:03 PM PDT

    Sorry that I am asking it here in this subreddit, I honestly don't know where else I should be asking this, I'd appreciate it if someone could maybe tell me where to ask this question if not here

    Anyways, as the title reads, that's my question. Basically I'm looking for websites which function in the same way as their original counterparts but are as simple in the layout as possible (so that a CLI Webbrowser like Lynx can open them up without any problems)

    Could anyone help me here in this case?

    submitted by /u/cj_train
    [link] [comments]

    Why can't we implement COVID Data Collection better?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    So I've noticed a lot of places around Australia under the new coronavirus data laws for contact tracing are requiring people to give their personal information such as name and phone number to restaurants and shops that they will be spending a large amount of time in.

    So these can be restaurants, cinemas, gaming arcades, and even some shopping centres and shops.

    Now we already have the code safe app, so why can't we instead use that?

    Is there some technical limitation as to why each business that is required to collect this data can't have a QR code that's either scannable by the app and will automatically log you at that establishment, alternatively, take you to a website where you can securely send that data to the government?

    A lot of places have been simply taking it from customers as they take orders, or just asking you to fill out a communal guest book with a communal pen, which seems to oy serve to exacerbate the risk of COVID infection.

    The other concern is privacy, not that I've heard it happening yet, but the concern is that some creeper will wait in line behind a pretty girl or someone vulnerable, and then when it's their turn, copy down all that person's details. This is concerning because some establishments aren't just taking name and number, but also address in their books, so it's a wet dream for a criminal.

    submitted by /u/Rumbuck_274
    [link] [comments]

    Sound Control (volume mixer app on MacOS)

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    Hey, has anyone here used the app "sound control?" I noticed it wasn't working, and I realized it must be the permissions. When I went to change them in the Privacy setting, it brought me to the "allow the apps below to record the contents of your screen, even while using other apps." Why would the sound control app need to record the contents of my screen? I'm not trying to lose personal data or risk anything all because I want to individually control the volume on all my apps. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Notdavidblaine
    [link] [comments]

    File hosting + tracking?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    I am looking for a place where I can host files that people can then download from my site. Obviously there's at least a hundred ways to do this - however I am also looking for one that will allow me to track states about the downloads. at a bare minimum, I'd like to know how many downloads each file gets. Anyone know of a way to do this?

    submitted by /u/themoderngafa
    [link] [comments]

    How does a tablet/phone, display the battery of a Bluetooth device connected to it?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    How can it read the battery level of another device?

    submitted by /u/NT202
    [link] [comments]

    Wall Ethernet port slower than hardwired google wifi

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    So we recently built a house and moved in and had our internet setup. The way the house was wired was kind of weird. All the ethernet cables run to the basement from whichever room they originate. We have Fios gigabit and the ONT is on the main floor where our living room/tv is. The verizon router is there as well. We have an ethernet cable going from the verizon router to the wall ethernet which runs to the basement. That ethernet is then connected to a gigabit switch which also has the other ethernet cables connected to it from the other parts of the house. I also have google wifi bc the verizon router doesn't have good signal upstairs where my room is. I hardwired the google wifi puck that I have upstairs to the wall ethernet port and I hardwired my desktop computer to the google wifi. When I checked the speed on my desktop I was getting almost 300 download, which is fine with me but when I connect the desktop directly to the wall ethernet my speed drops to 92 download. The ethernet cables running in the walls are cat6 so I'm not sure why the speed drops so much and why I get a faster speed when I directly wire to the google wifi puck. Also when I am on wifi on the main floor next to the verizon router and main google wifi AP I get speeds of almost 500 download but when I am on wifi upstairs my speed is only 90. I just want to know is there any way to fix my setup so I can get at least 300 download on wifi and at least something close to gigabit when I am using the wall ethernet port?

    submitted by /u/jmat1050
    [link] [comments]

    How do I reset my apple ID password on the computer?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    How do I reset my apple ID password on the computer? I forgot it and I have just factory resetted my iPad and I forgot it and need to reset it but I wan't to reset it on the computer and not my iPhone XR. How do I reset it on the computer instead of my iPhone? I swear I've done it before without having to log into my Apple account. So how do I do it?

    submitted by /u/RedditorBruceWayne
    [link] [comments]

    Can you recommend any good KVM switches for a 2-computer setup? (for at least 4 USB devices and 1 HDMI monitor)

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 03:50 PM PDT

    A couple weeks ago I bought a simple AIMOS KVM switch. I knew it was a bit of a gamble (cheap and relatively few reviews, though most positive) and it turned out I was right, because it was a piece of junk. So I returned it.

    Can anyone recommend a good one? Or at least recommend a brand? Amazon is full of cheapo garbage with strangely high reviews.

    My setup: a desktop and a laptop. I need to be able to plug in my HDMI monitor and at least 4 USB devices: keyboard, mouse, microphone, and "whatever".

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BevansDesign
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up Alfred app for a old phone security camera

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    If there is a better place to post this, my apologies, please direct me elsewhere. I currently use an iphone and I have an old Alcatel android. When I go to either apple download or google download the option says download to two phones. If I download from both sites will they sync?

    submitted by /u/matapuwili
    [link] [comments]

    Best iPhone for a gig worker?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    Hey guys, so I've currently ran into storage issues for my beat up iPhone 6 (16GB i know I cheeped out) so I've been looking at the 256 gig iPhone 8. I'm a gig worker full time for insta cart and door dash so I need that speed, as well as a full time student who needs a faster processor for online classes and the such.

    What do you guys recommend? I'm not afraid to cheep out a bit on this one as surely I'll have this for the long run just like my 6, but I'm kind of stuck in the $300-500 range so no iPhone 11 for me anytime soon sadly. thanks!

    submitted by /u/survivable_Abbortion
    [link] [comments]

    Can landlines from a fiber modem have extensions?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    I just upgraded my landline # to fiber that used to have 5 extensions within the house.

    Is it as simple as plugging landline cord cable from the fiber modem RJ11 port to the the now deactivated landline wall outlet?

    Or do I need a gadget to increase the power to drive the 5 extensions?

    submitted by /u/xeneral
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to charge a new computer for 3 h before starting it?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 09:34 AM PDT

    When I got my new computer my foster "mother" told me to charge it for 3 hours before turning it on cause the guy in the store said so (which makes no sense cause it will charge to 100% in about an hour if i don't use it). I came home and read the instructions that came with it and they said to just plug in the charger and start setting it up as soon as the screen light up, which I did. My computer becomes warm when charging and she blames is on me cause "it's a gaming computer that can handle it" when I googled it says it can barely run editing programs before overheating (it's a Huawei matebook D 15 not a gaming computer) she became upset and still says it's my fault and dismissed me completely, am I wrong did I do something wrong? Or is she overreacting? I need the computer for school as i start studying photography, film and graphic design this fall and from my research it will barely be able to handle it?

    Considered posting this on /advice but figured someone here could answer it better.

    submitted by /u/noname_1721
    [link] [comments]

    SCREEN TEARING WHILE NEAR TO 60 FPS BUT ALMOST ABSENT AT 100-100+ FPS...ON A 60 HZ MONITOR...

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    HELLO EVERYONE...HOPE YOU ARE SAFE!!

    I have a 60 HZ monitor (AOC F19) and when I'm running a game over 100 fps the screen tearing is almost gone, but when it's closer to 60 FPS the tearing gets worse...can you explain me why is it happening??

    THANKS EVERYONE.... :-)

    submitted by /u/anik_milkomeda123
    [link] [comments]

    New laptop advice

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    I'm trying to find a new laptop for university.

    I have a budget of 1000 euros but I can increase it due to the fact that for 2-4 months I will attend university from home.

    I would like to have thunderbolt 3 and a discrete video card, for light gaming, and a last or second-last generation processor.

    I need to have at least 500gb of disk or the ability to increase it without losing the warranty.

    I prefer intel processor cause, for android development, intel is preferred.

    About thunderbolt 3, I would like to have it because, when I'm home I have dual monitor set up and a good keyboard/mouse so with a hub I would only need to connect that cable to have charge, monitors and I/O.

    submitted by /u/keepuru
    [link] [comments]

    What does Forcepoint Endpoint has access to?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2020 04:33 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment