• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 2, 2020

    Tech Support - Sent an embarrassing text to the wrong number. What can I do?

    Tech Support - Sent an embarrassing text to the wrong number. What can I do?


    Sent an embarrassing text to the wrong number. What can I do?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:03 AM PDT

    As the title says, I sent a text to the wrong number. The number I wrongly sent it to doesn't know me, is it possible to hide my number from them? I'm using an iPhone 7. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/graceilsb
    [link] [comments]

    Does the number of people using the internet still have an impact?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    I remember back in the day when you couldn't get online simply because too many people were using the internet. Does this still occur today? And why/why not?

    What made me think of this is with the current pandemic there are way more people at home using streaming services etc, just interested to see if this will cause difficulties like back in the dark days of dial up.

    submitted by /u/Nightmare1990
    [link] [comments]

    What is best password/identity management advice for the technologically inapt users who are unwillingly thrown into the world of online work?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    These days, millions of technologically naive people around the world have been asked to open accounts on various online services, be it for business purposes, for school, or for interpersonal communication. Typically they have received no training or detailed instructions for this, just a general request from their boss, colleague, teacher or a friend.

    So what do these people often do when faced with such a request? They follow a link, open a login screen that asks for their e-mail address, so they enter their business email or their primary personal e-mail address. The next field asks them for password, so they ENTER THEIR E-MAIL PASSWORD RIGHT THERE. They have no idea they are giving away their most sensitive private information. They are confused about who are they talking to and what they should do.

    Even if they open a register form, they tend to reuse their e-mail account password for the new online service, because they associate the e-mail address with that password. They don't understand that these are two very different accounts that share the same identifying information.

    A lot of these online services are "free", which just means they have alternative revenue streams, which might involve bad practices with their user data. Also, they tend to be more lax with the login data, so it's possible they are storing plain text passwords, or unsalted hashes. This could also be a phishing opportunity for outright malevolent actors.

    So now you have a vast number of technologically inapt users with compromised primary email accounts. What could go wrong? Or, better yet, what can we do to improve the situation? What practical advice can we give these new netizens to shield them from themselves? Use two-factor authentication? Password vault? What tech solution would be practical for the non-tech folks?

    submitted by /u/Uzalud
    [link] [comments]

    can i use my laptop as sd card reader if i connect it to my pc

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:17 AM PDT

    so my laptop has an sd reader, my pc does not - can I connect my laptop thorugh USB to my PC and have it act as a usb reader or at least let me access R&W on my sdcard that is connected on the laptop? is this possible on windows?

    submitted by /u/wristonfreeze
    [link] [comments]

    Can ethernet run between PC and Nintendo Switch

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:47 AM PDT

    Can ethernet run between PC to Nintendo Switch?

    Hi everyone. I have a PC in my room which is connected to internet via a Netgear Wifi Adapter. It is able to provide me with fairly good internet from my house's modem on the complete other side of my house. However, my Nintendo Switch struggles to connect from this distance. I was wondering, if I had my PC connected to internet via the wifi adapter, and I ran an ethernet cable from the PC to a switch via a USB to Lan adapter, would the Switch have access to the internet like my PC?

    If not, does anyone have any recommendation for how to get better wifi for my Switch from my room?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Alz441
    [link] [comments]

    Research project on what you should do after an electric car crashes?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    Hi, i'm doing a research project on what happens after a car with an electric battery crashes. Typically what companies and emergency respondents should do to not get shocked by the potential energy in the car battery.

    However, my project requires that I contact at least 10 relevant people/experts about my topic (in this case concerning electric car batteries). But since we're currently in an apocalypse no company or police office has returned a single call/email.

    So now i'm asking you guys for any potential help or expertise. You can comment below or DM me about any input on how emergency workers should approach crashed electric cars and/or what companies should do to make electric car crashes safer in the future.

    submitted by /u/jnpg
    [link] [comments]

    I want to buy an earphone.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:54 AM PDT

    I'm looking to buy an earphone with a really low budget. I was searching through startech site and I got a some options to choose and I'm not sure which one would be the best. Here goes the list:

    1. UiiSii C100 price: 280 tk
    2. Remax RM-502 price: 290 tk
    3. Havit HV-E68P price: 300 tk
    4. Havit HV-E69p price: 300 tk
    5. Remax RM-512 price: 300 tk
    6. Remax RM-510 price: 350 tk
    7. UiiSii HM7 price: 350 tk
    8. UiiSii C200 price: 375 tk
    9. Awei ES15Hi price: 400 tk
    10. UiiSii U6 price: 450 tk
    11. UiiSii U8 price: 450 tk
    12. Remax RM-501 price: 500 tk
    13. Edifier Hi Fi H210 price: 550 tk
    14. Remax RM-610D price: 550 tk
    15. UiiSii HM12 price: 550 tk
    16. Rapoo EP30 price: 550 tk
    17. HP 100 price: 550 tk

    I want to get the best being minimalistic as much as possible. I'm a rough user. Also, an audiophile.

    submitted by /u/hillenium
    [link] [comments]

    Restoring

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:33 AM PDT

    Hey folks hope this is the right place to ask this, I had trouble with windows (it was riddled with malware) and couldn't restore or repair it so i had to install it again, i needed the old drive c files so i did it on another partition. I have a problem here, I need all the Firefox input informations (passwords, bookmarks and so on). Is there any way to obtain them? This is actually my girlfriend laptop, and all her university applications are on there and they are really important. Is there a file in Firefox program folders that contains such informations? Tldr: trying to get Firefox info from a dead windows partition.

    submitted by /u/darklydreamingR
    [link] [comments]

    CPU upgrade made start-up freeze

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:51 AM PDT

    So I read about many similar issues but haven't been able to find a solution for myself.

    I've got an asus TUF B360-Plus motherboard, and had an intel core i5 - 8500 cpu, 8th gen. Yesterday

    I tried to upgrade to an i7-9700 (9th gen), but that did not go well - I got the logo for the motherboard loading, then it just froze, and sometimes just shut down. I couldn't even boot from my USB with windows install.

    I swapped back to the I5, and after some stuttering from windows it booted like normal.

    I realise my motherboard supports 8th gen, but I read that they support 9th gen too. Maybe I got this wrong?

    Any input on what made the I7 boot go wrong is much appreciated!

    Edit: my power supply is 650w.

    submitted by /u/jaffur88
    [link] [comments]

    Multiplayer - How does it work behind the scenes? How is it structured

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:30 AM PDT

    tl;dr Basically: 1. Are all sort of multiplayers set up the same way or do they differ depending on type of game genre. 2. Can oldschool games (Nes/Snes/Megadrive/ps1/saturn etc) be easily turned into multiplayer over internet and how so?

    Hi,

    So I have been thinking mainly about two things when it comes to multiplayer games and how developers set the functions up. Lets start with old school and how to implement into todays system

    Take a game such as Street fighter or Mortal Kombat (for the SNES).

    1. Lets say their respective developers want to make it multiplayer over the internet. How do they go about it? Is it technically possible to make those games multiplayer and in simple terms/explanation, how do/would they go about it?

    2. When building a new game fighting(versus games) vs multplayer COD/Fortnight, is/are there a difference between setting up from a infrastructure/"coding" perspective or are they both set up the same way?

    submitted by /u/Bobba_fat
    [link] [comments]

    If my computer is compatible with a gtx 1070, would it be compatible with a rtx 2060 super?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:10 AM PDT

    Not a big tech guy, but would like to know if my computer is compatible with a rtx 2060 super.

    submitted by /u/Scissors10203
    [link] [comments]

    Slapping lamp

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    I have a fluorescent light in my kitchen, it's getting old and don't work every time when I hit the switch. But if i then slap it turns on after a second. What is the science behind it?

    submitted by /u/Tawpiktalat
    [link] [comments]

    My Windows 10 Laptop doesn't detect my (wired) earbud microphone

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    I know the microphone works through testing it on my phone. It isn't doesn't show up under devices at all, not even as being disabled. The output of the earbuds work fine. The built in microphone of the laptop works (but is low quality). I believe this problem started after I was using software like Voicemod to use voice changers and play sounds through my microphone. Somehow during the process of setting up the virtual Mic for that, I messed something up. The earbuds are Skullcandy Ink'd+, and my laptop is an Acer Predator Helios 300. At this point, I would be willing to completely reset just the audio settings if that's possible. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Huntbo
    [link] [comments]

    Usb hard drive suddenly not playing movies on LG smart tv

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    I've been using a 500gb usb hard drive connected to my TV for movies and TV shows. I move the drive from there laptop to the TV to watch them on.

    Well the other day it suddenly said that unable to play the files even though I could see them and the thumbnail also. I connected it to the Xbox and the laptop and both could play them. My partner said that she thinks I pulled the drive out without ejecting it from the TV.

    Anyone know what I can do so I can play the files on the TV? And also should I be worried I've somehow corrupted the files? I have a lot of pictures and videos that are important to me.

    Any help appreciated

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/JohnsNotHome84
    [link] [comments]

    logitech g560 good audio visualizer settings

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:10 PM PDT

    does anyone know any good lighting settings for EDM & Dubstep

    submitted by /u/Lamman276
    [link] [comments]

    Firestick messenger

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    Hey there, Ive been trying to get messenger on my firestick. I downloaded it but it isn't in my apps on my firestick. I'm trying to group video chat.

    When I cast from my phone (android) to the tv it is very small picture with a lot of border. Hope someone can help haha. Thanks a bunch

    submitted by /u/spreaditformoses1990
    [link] [comments]

    Wife May Be Spying On Me

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:38 PM PDT

    I have cause to believe that my soon-to-be ex-wife may be monitoring my computer activity, but I don't know enough to know how she might be doing it. We currently don't live together and I've changed my google password but things still seem off.

    What are some of the best ways to find out if someone is spying on my computer?

    Would you recommend baiting her to make her act in an unusual way to prove she's spying?

    submitted by /u/blu_crucial
    [link] [comments]

    Can I screencast my shattered laptop screen to my other laptop?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    I have two laptops, on one the bottom is busted right where the aux is and I cant use headphones, the other is almost brand new but I shattered the screen. The screen is completely dead and unusable. I would like to know if can mirror the display from the shattered laptop onto my good laptop so I can use my headphones again. From what I've seen you need to use the "project" option which needs permission from both devices, however I can't use one of the laptops. I have done the projection once before the screen was shattered if for some reason there is a shortcut or something I can use to project without the need for my screen. I also have a hdmi but upon connection it only receives audio from the broken laptop. Sorry if this was confusing or cluttered.

    TLDR: two laptops, one screen completely dead, one fully functional, can I display shattered screen to non shattered screen so I can use headphones.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Beastysped
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for best live webinar/videoconferencing platform for my needs

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Hi folks,

    If there's a better subreddit for me to ask this in, please let me know. I don't venture out on reddit often.

    I need a video conferencing/webinar platform and have done extensive googling, free trials, etc without finding the right fit. Could use some recommendations. I teach sculpture classes and am self-employed.

    Requirements:

    - ~$20mo or less

    - Records video and audio of 50 hours per month

    - Must have full screen live webcam of me

    - about 25-50 participants allowed, by invitation only

    - Participants must be able to ask questions, preferably by audio but chat would work too. No video needed of participants.

    Any suggestions? So far Zoom seems to be the best fit but I need video to be on me and preferably not on participants, and haven't figured out how to do that.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Treebeans36
    [link] [comments]

    How can I be more proficient with IT in an office setting as a non-IT professional?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    I find myself frequently having to go to IT for which feels like inane questions (before corona) - i.e. I've plugged the projector in on my Mac but why isn't it showing on this projector? Why isn't the printer printing - is it connected to the network? Why isn't the router working - is it plugged in?

    I go to the IT office to hang out sometimes so they're cool with me asking, but I just feel like I could be more useful and self-reliant. I'd like become more proficient with IT and I also want a certification to prove that I'm not utterly useless in this regard.

    I know Youtube is super helpful and free, but I'd like to undergo some sort of formal learning short of taking a full CS degree at a local college for example.

    I was wondering if the CompTIA A+, Network+, Cisco CCT and CCNA are good starting points for IT education, or are these too hard, too specific or overkill for a non-IT professional? The goal is to undergo some sort of formal training and have something to show for it.

    What do you guys suggest?

    submitted by /u/ETinHK
    [link] [comments]

    BT family sim

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    Not sure if this is the correct sub, was sent here from r/technology.

    So, my family are on a BT family sim where there are 5 sims on 1 bill. My first question is are they able to see my messages content and contact names or just the numbers as they tell my brother they can see his messages. I'm not sure if that is to try and keep him out of trouble. I'm 20 years of age and I'd like to believe I have a bit of privacy.

    They also have BT protect (McAfee) and with it being one bill payment, are they able to view all my apps that have been scanned.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/lauren_1529
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to jump a wifi connection from a laptop to a desktop through an ethernet cable

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    [SOLVED] Working from home and need internet to a PC desktop. Problem is that the desktop is far from our modem. I was wondering if I could used an ethernet cable to connect the wifi from my MAC laptop to my desktop.

    submitted by /u/democratiCrayon
    [link] [comments]

    Will Intel Optane mess with a dual booting system?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    I was wondering if installing Ubuntu on my windows PC would mess up data saved on my 16Gb Optane memory. (I know Optane doesn't support Linux)

    submitted by /u/Burntninjas
    [link] [comments]

    Platform or Programme / app for videos

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    So the thing is that my gf has birthday this friday.

    Since the coronavirus outbreak has spread and we are isolated there can't be any gatherings.

    My idea for her present is that i contacted the closest friends and family members to send me a video of wishes for her.

    I now have 16 videos that i want to present to her.

    The easiest way is to put them all on a video and press play.

    Another idea would be to make a youtube channel and upload all the videos as locked links so she can only see it.

    I was looking for a more creative way of maybe something like a program or an apo opening and then it presents her 16 videos and she can open each one to view it.

    Is there any program apo that can do that? Would it be easy to make something other than that but similar? (i have close to none programming experience but i could follow step to step directions?)

    Also is this even the correct sub to post this?

    submitted by /u/dtsakan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment