• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 23, 2020

    Tech Support - Scraped hard drive platter

    Tech Support - Scraped hard drive platter


    Scraped hard drive platter

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    So I have two hard drives from old laptops which I was planning to copy to my current computer's hard drive. I bought a USB adapter for this. The one hard drive copied over no problem. However while I was plugging in the second hard drive, instead of grabbing it by the edges, I sandwiched it between my thumb and forefinger. I didn't realize how flimsy the casing was and I actually pressed the metal casing onto the hard disk while it was spinning. It was less than a second before I heard a whirring and let go of it. It didn't make any noise after that. The computer initially recognized both partitions of the drive and I was able to browse the files on it. However there was some erratic behavior when attempting to transfer the files (taking a very long time, or going very quickly but not actually transferring the files). I restarted my computer and now even though it detects the two partitions, they are unlabeled and can't be opened. Did I completely screw my chances of being able to retrieve the data from this drive? Is there any way to recover it?

    submitted by /u/James-Russels
    [link] [comments]

    Apple iPad Pro with Pro Create Dupe?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! This is my first post here and I just want to say thanks in advance to anyone who can help, but please be respectful with your replies as ones like "Get a Job" or asking me about my financial situation are just not needed.

    Basically, I'm a University Student studying Illustration and nearly every single person in my class has an Apple iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and a system called Pro Create; they also all use Apple Macs where as I'm a dedicated PC lover and Android Advocate. Because of this gap between us though, I feel as though I can't create to the best of my ability, and so I've been looking into finding something of similar use to me as an iPad Pro but I honestly don't know anything really about system strengths and weaknesses and I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what would be the best for me to get with the following specs considered:

    Needs to be under or around £500-£600, I can push a little more if I have too, if they do a year long credit plan I can also get a little more like £800-900

    Needs to have an application similar to ProCreate or the system strength to host Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, things like Paint.Net and Gimp would probably work fine but I'd appreciate any input there too.

    Compatable with a Pen like the Apple Pen

    Isn't a Graphics Tablet, I need (I think) a SURFACE tablet or a tablet in general...again I'm really not sure of the system differences or specs. Please send help in any way that you can.

    Sincerely,

    -A complete novice Illustration student who can't afford an iPad and is thus turning to Reddit to help figure my shit out to get something similar on a budget thaanks.

    submitted by /u/CheekyGodwin
    [link] [comments]

    Recently factory resettled phone ringing with no SIM card

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    I recently found my mom's old phone and factory reset it. The only thing I've done on there is connect my Facebook. The call wasn't from messenger; it was from a phone number. The first time this happened I took out the SIM card, even though it hasn't been in use for over a year. It just happened again. I've checked to see if it has any call application and it doesn't. The calls don't show up in recents either. My mom kept the same phone number and she's getting the same calls from her new phone. The calls only show up on the old phone if she doesn't answer after the first 3 rings. How can I get this to stop?

    Edit: it's supposed to say resetted in the title. Idk the right word and am aware that it is not a real word

    submitted by /u/AgitatedBrick6
    [link] [comments]

    What's wrong with these cheap eBay webcams?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    So like everyone else in the world, I'm suddenly searching for a decent webcam to WFH. In normal times, I would just get a Logitech c920 - but I can't find one for less than 4x the normal price.

    Then I see these, still in stock. No-name, 1080p, 30fps. Anyone have any experience with these cheap-o webcams? Would I just be throwing money away?

    submitted by /u/DogBarman
    [link] [comments]

    Best cheap tablet for editing?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    My little sister wants a tablet where she can use kinemaster and Gacha Life edits. She doesn't want nothing fancy just something that works. She got a galaxy tab 3 but it won't even download it. Are budget isn't very big. Preferably under 100 but possibly up to 150

    submitted by /u/eriblarey
    [link] [comments]

    So i just upgraded my ancient laptop for the first time yesterday and cleaned the dustband everything and stuff and everything seems to be going fine. Now there is a ground or an electric shock thats coming from the usb ports and stuff its not strong but enough o be noticeable how do i fix this

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    AVG Antivirus Question

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    So, I usually use AVG to scan my phone to make sure everything is alright. And usually it only ever shows '1 Risk' when I scan, that being the Web Shield, which i just ignore.

    But today, I went to a website trying to find a figure I saw years ago, and the website basically blared that I had notifications off so it couldn't work. So I quickly backed out of that web page and immediately downloaded AVG.

    However, this time when I scanned my phone, it quickly flashed '2 Risks'. However the second risk vanished when the app started scanning the rest of my apps. And now, whenever I scan it only shows the Web Shield risk.

    It does the same thing when I completely uninstall and re-install the app. Showing 2 then going to one.

    Is something wrong with the app, or is there something on my phone?

    submitted by /u/LadySeraphii
    [link] [comments]

    Blue Yeti Broken USB Port

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    I accidentally pulled on the cable of my Yeti and ended up breaking the cord and the actual port of the mic. I do not have a warranty and I am wondering what I should do.

    submitted by /u/Furno52470
    [link] [comments]

    I keep failing my software related classes and don't know what to major in

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    I love computers but I keep failing my Computer science classes such as Networking and programming. I want to work at Google, but at this point I think i'm just gonna be a failure in the tech industry. I've taught myself how to repair devices such as iPhones and consoles, I can build PC's, etc., but I just don't know what to do with my life in order to be successful. Should I pursue hardware engineering?

    submitted by /u/ArabicSugarr
    [link] [comments]

    Can tap water be used to clean laptop screen?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    I usually use tap water with a microfiber cloth, but is it better to use distilled water?

    submitted by /u/Ieatglues
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to wipe my old HDD before making it a external hard drive?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    As the title says, I'm going to replace my laptops current HDD and swap it out for an SSD and was planning on using the now old HDD as an external hard drive for my PS4. Do I wipe the old HDD, or can I just plug it into my PS4 as an external hard drive? (using an enclosure or SATA to USB cable).

    submitted by /u/Infinitrixxx
    [link] [comments]

    TV Trouble!!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I have a sony tv model KDL-40r475b, and it was working just fine, but 3 days ago something happened, no idea what because i didn´t even touch it, but now when ever I try to turn it on, it turn on for like a second, it show the sony logo and the it shuts down immediatly. I have no idea what to do, if anyone has any clue of why this could be happening, i would be very grateful for your help!

    submitted by /u/ings001
    [link] [comments]

    [ELI5] question on the difference between Plex and using straight VLC

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Hi folks,

    i know the question in the title isn't the clearest around, but bear with me please.

    I'm totally new to the world of NAS, Media servers and every flavour of it, i always used my pc for browsing and light gaming, but now i'm hoarding lots of files and movies.

    I built a simple raspberry OMV nas and dumped everything on 2 Toshiba external disks (not a nice setup but still, better than firing up my pc all the time.)

    For couple of months i used to just browse the file's various directory with Cx File explorer on android or just browsed it via windows network shared folders.

    If i wanted to watch a movie, i opened it in VLC and just watched, never had issues.

    Later i wanted to try using Plex (but switched to Jellyfin right away), just for learning (dockers, web gui etc...).

    Is there a difference between the 2 methods?

    Is Plex just a fancier and user friendly way, or has something more to it? (not talking about chapters, subtitles or the various options it offers), i mean is there a difference on the hardware level?

    I read often about transcoding and difficulties on the raspberry.I never noticed stutterings or problem (just rare crashes) using VLC after browsing the directory of my choice, but hat to tweak under 720p the resolution while using Jellyfin, and see generally more buffering.

    Has VLC a minor resource impact? why bother paying for a Plex subscription?

    (only for a home network use, no remote connections)

    submitted by /u/holdmyhand_pls
    [link] [comments]

    Help me find a matching bracket / ring for an Intel water cooler? (Yes made by Intel)

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    Hi redditors - I have had this all in one CPU water cooler sitting on a shelf for a while and would really like to use it for an 1151 processor. I have the main part - the water cooler radiator / fan plus the CPU cover, but not the ring & bracket that holds it in place. It locks / unlocks by rotating it. Any info on where I can get it would be appreciate it.

    More info:

    1. The article on this or a very similar cooler has some close up photos: Intel Displays Self-Branded Water Cooling Solution for Sandy Bridge-E.

    2. This Asus all in one water cooler appears to have a similar mechanism for locking it in place. So hopefully this is some kind of standard and they make kits.

    3. This BXTS13X is the product I have or something neatly identical - not much info here obviously. I've dealt with Intel before and asking them anything about older products is a waste of time.

    4. This is the best thing I found - these mounting instructions from Intel. It shows a matching ring, bracket, and screws.

    submitted by /u/IanArcad
    [link] [comments]

    Is Jitsi Meet safe?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    My wife recently installed Jitsi Meet to face time with her grandma, she used it, seemed normal, then used Skype to call a different friend. Her call with her friend was 2 hours long and after she stopped the call her phone gave her a notification that Jitsi Meet had been recording for 13 minutes. She uninstalled the app and then got a phone call from a random number. She answered it and the person on the other end end opened with, "HEEEY CANADA!" she immediately hung up. This doesn't sit well with me, what could have happened?

    submitted by /u/sixesand7s
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for ideas for a homebrew rom cartridge solution

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    I'm building a computer that boots from USB, and I want it to have a system whereby I can swap out the USB flash drive quickly and easily. I don't want to have to reach around the back of the machine and fumble around.

    The obvious choice is to have a USB port somewhere easily accessible such as the front or the side, but this would be unsightly and vulnerable.

    Instead, what I would like to do is have some sort of cartridge system, like you might find on a game console or similar.

    My initial idea was to remove the electronics from Playstation 1 memory cards and repurpose them by soldering the guts of a flash drive to some of the pins and similarly modifying the reader.

    Unfortunately I discovered that, while third party cards are still being made, readers are not, and I would have to destroy a Playstation to get the necessary card slots/sockets. I am not willing to do this, so I need to think of something else.

    Other game consoles have cartridges that could be repurposed and have modern adapters available, but the cartridges are usually either too big (NES, SNES) or too small (GB, GBA, NDS)

    Then I thought of using Compact Flash cards with an adapter, but that has its own set of problems.

    I'm now thinking that I could use 2.5" SSDs with a hot-swap bay. That would probably be pretty good, but the SSDs are a little on the (physically) large side, and I'm not too keen on the various latching systems.

    TL;DR I basically need an electronic ROM cartridge system that is readily available, preferably cheap, and can be repurposed to house the guts of a usb flash drive.

    Now you (hopefully) understand what I'm trying to do, any ideas?

    submitted by /u/ThePenultimateNinja
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I have two WiFi connections in my house?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    My house has {WiFi-name} and {WiFi-name} AP. I cant connect to the AP internet since it has a different password. I know its not my neighbours since my nearest neighbour is a kilometre away. What is this AP connection? Would it be better than my god awful rural WiFi?

    submitted by /u/squirtleturtle79
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I buy an original l-type macbook charger online apart from the official Apple website?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 01:45 PM PDT

    Good morning folks, the title says it all: Where can I buy an original l-type macbook charger online apart from the official Apple website?

    submitted by /u/KAKADESERVESMORE
    [link] [comments]

    I need help for a project

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 01:35 PM PDT

    Hi people of reddit

    I and some friends of mine are building our own version of the pipboy from the fallout franchise. We want not to make some sorta of replica but a functioning portable computer with all the gadgets to survive in a post apocalittic world (geiger counter,radio,maps etc) but we have a problem. We don't know which battery/sistem of alimentation should we use. Can you help me? Thanks a lot, we are using arduino btw

    For those who don't know what a pip boy is: is basically the sci-fi version of a smartwatch made for the post apocalipse with a atom-punk designe

    (Anyway the rules on r/technology and r/techsupport are really straight about asking for raccomandation but here I looked for any rules about it and i have found nothing so I hope that here is legit. If it is not I'm really sorry and I'll delet the post as fast as I can)

    submitted by /u/Franz_VanGhraff
    [link] [comments]

    I bought a feit smart light bulb and it won't work with my Google home mini.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 08:41 AM PDT

    I have linked my feit account with my Google home app and the light bulb shows up but I can't turn it off or on from the app or with voice commands. I can use the feit app to turn it off and on but I want to use the voice commands. That's the only reason I got it. Has anybody else has this problem?

    submitted by /u/NotWhoYouThink777
    [link] [comments]

    Wich windows nt version does windows 10 use?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Conference Rooms

    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    This is more of a generalized question. I'm looking for recommendations for a good way to advertise monitors or TVs on a local network so they could be accessed from someone's laptop being brought into a conference room. We think we already have the audio down & I think most smart TVs will usually advertise themselves on a network but I'm looking for other simple suggestions that people may have used to mitigate this. Basically the user would come into the conference room, search for connected displays on the network in Windows or Mac & connect to it.

    I've tested this at home with my TV & it comes up on the 'Connect to a wireless display' setting in Windows when I look for it but I'm not sure every TV would allow me to rename it & I'd like to do that so that people would know what one they're connecting to.

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/dorkyninja
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment