• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 22, 2020

    Tech Support - What is the easiest pc-based face chat for talking with older people?

    Tech Support - What is the easiest pc-based face chat for talking with older people?


    What is the easiest pc-based face chat for talking with older people?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 04:18 AM PDT

    I'm looking for something grandparents can easily:

    • install (or without installation)
    • use: just for "face-calling" someone, nothing too extra
    • add their friends: family or older friends

    Basically: live chat for dummies.

    submitted by /u/beyondawesome
    [link] [comments]

    Skype Vs Google Voice number

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 03:21 AM PDT

    I need a new number for business but I won't actually be using it to call people, what's the better option?

    submitted by /u/soulsisters_21
    [link] [comments]

    (Free) alternative to iTunes for macOS?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    Anyone know of a good software alternative (preferably free) to iTunes for MacOS?

    Looking mainly to use for manually updating music on my iPod touch.

    submitted by /u/cspears3
    [link] [comments]

    Updating driver caused black-borders!

    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 01:21 AM PDT

    In the process of trying to keep my Nvidia GT 730 drivers up to date something went wrong and now the device manager keeps saying "error 43" no matter how many times i redownload new drivers. Idk what drivers i had beforehand so "rolling back" to those isn't really an option. GeForce Experience also isn't working right anymore: beforehand none of the features such as settings, notifications, etc were functioning and now trying to open the program starts the instillation process and gives me an ongoing black screen partway through.

    This Could be somehow a display or scaling issue but i cannot find anywhere on Windows 10 that lets me directly adjust what i need to. Google hasn't been my friend nor have the various youtube videos on the subject.

    submitted by /u/CountVonVague
    [link] [comments]

    TV video calling?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    So how about this coronavirus eh? My poor mother lives alone, and I worry all this distancing will get her down. As such, I thought buying her a device that allows her to video call her children/grandchildren via her TV at this time might alleviate some of that loneliness, only to find Skype had this magic years ago but no longer support it.

    I see Facebook have a solution - Portal TV - but I can't find an honest/believable review of its performance.

    My mother is no way tech savvy. She'd need something that is somewhat switch on and go (few clicks as possible, and as easy as it would be to hook up a laptop with an HDMI cable she won't be able to do this). She's okay with FaceTime, which works for now, but obviously handheld.

    Any one help a guy out here? Does anyone have any tech suggestions on how this could be possible ? Something that connects to Skype or Google Hangout easily? Any help would be awesome. Stay safe everyone.

    submitted by /u/bazmat
    [link] [comments]

    Which Video-Chat Service Uses Least Bandwidth (or whatever it is)?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Quarantine Question: I travel for work so any time I'm home I'm in permanent quarantine. I've not seen my family in weeks. I live in a remote area and the only internet I receive is 1 bar of LTE. It's enough to stream Youtube and Netflix but can't handle much more. Which video-chat service has the lowest demand on my signal, which drops to 3G after a brief LTE usage window. I want to try to video-chat with my family so we can start our streaming-movies at the same time and pretend we're all together.

    submitted by /u/wasitthepotatoes
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think that this pandemic will lead to a new wave of Automation/Innovation?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    So we were discussing this last night, my father is a Fitter/Machinist by trade, but he's been spending the last or so years doing increasing maintenance work on Automation systems, mainly the mechanical side in manufacturing. I was saying to him he's actually perfectly poised to transition into the potential future we now hold, even if his company can no longer continue to employ him.

    My thoughts on the matter are that we will start to see more and more automation and WFH.

    Some of the realms I see it as being bigger in include:

    • Self driving cars - waymo has been making great strides in self driving taxi's, and people have been generally receptive to the idea of self driving cars
      I mean, there are 13,500 taxis in New York City, that's 13,500 vulnerable people, double that if drivers are working 12 hour shifts and keeping the vehicle running 24 hours, that's 27,000 people that could be not only at risk, but also a vector for transmission in a pandemic. I'm an Australian, but I'm using New York as an example in this because the data was easier to find.
    • Manufacturing - CNC machining has been a thing for many years, however a lot of smaller businesses have been shy to get a hold of CNC machines, firstly due to cost, and secondly due to the spirit of keeping employees on staff. Unfortunately having more employees = more risk in an environment of threat like this, CNC machines can be not only operated remotely, but the loading and unloading of stock into them can also be automated. Plus machines don't get tired, manufacturing could be done 24 hours a day rather than in the 8-5 system most industry currently runs. Those that survive I think would look to measures to not have employees impacted by situations such as this, and if that means the truck driver rocks up at a dock to a warehouse, and there's a single person there overseeing robots loading his truck, even better. Hell, that truck could be automated with no driver.
    • Electric vehicles - I can see a bit more of an uptick in electric cars personally, something that you can charge at home, when you look at it, the current method, going to a service station, filling your car with fossil fuels, gives fuel pumps and petrol stations another vector for transmission. If people can fill up at home, easy done. Not sure on other countries, but a lot of Australian suburbs, especially new ones built in the last 20 years have multiple 415V access to houses, and funnily, after recently buying a house, surprisingly a lot of air conditioning units run 415v as 3 phase motors can be made more efficient with ducted air conditioning than their single phase 230v counterparts. An extra circuit for car charging isn't that hard to install.
    • Better screening technologies rolled out in Airports/Seaports - I mean, there are already companies that offer full body thermal imaging technology and some countries, such as Israel, already use full body imaging as a security screening measure. You have an elevated temperature? Guess what, no flying/cruising for you!

    I mean personally, I see this as a horrible thing, but with a lot of people working from home, no direct oversight, a lot more time to think for themselves, I can see a bit more innovation as people try and work around the limitations this is posing on our everyday life.

    What are other punters looking towards as an innovation/automation space to come out of this?

    submitted by /u/Rumbuck_274
    [link] [comments]

    ISP's Advertising connection is it MB/MBPS ?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Hopefully someone can help me out with this question!
    When ISP's advertise XX mbps. Does it mean Megabit PER second, or Megabyte PER second.

    I currently have a 100mbps plan for the past year and always get around 50-60megabitPS which transfers to around 7-10MB/S (ooakla speedtest & ISP speedtest) .

    I've called in multiple times and tech support clearly isn't tech savvy and usually transfers me to multiple stations where I just hang up.
    So to be clear am I getting ripped off or does it mean megaBIT not megaBYTE?

    Thanks for reading! Stay safe everyone corona is serious!

    https://imgur.com/a/48RctxF

    submitted by /u/Hueman121
    [link] [comments]

    What sound range is most damaging and wearing for audio speakers on computers and TV or even loudspeakers ?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    PSTN: When will they become obsolete?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 04:51 PM PDT

    Revisiting this question posted a decade ago, a lot has changed.

    The question is: When will we see PSTN completely replaced by VoIP, and when will international calls not cost an arm and a leg?

    submitted by /u/tyteen4a03
    [link] [comments]

    Led strips not light malfunction

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    I recently bought a magic home pro to plug into my led lights however when i turn down the brightness on the color red it changes it to white and i cannot find any solution anywhere

    submitted by /u/Allow3dMan
    [link] [comments]

    HDMI Out To HDMI In? (Read Desc. For More Info)

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    (I will be honest, I have no idea what kind of laptop I have) But If It Helps, I Have an HP Laptop, And I Have Only ONE HDMI Port Which Is An HDMI Out. Is There Some Cord I Can Buy, Or Another Way To Switch The HDMI Out to HDMI In? Or Is It Flat Out Impossible?

    submitted by /u/RowanRadcliff
    [link] [comments]

    RANDOM BLACK SCREEN ON LAPTOP HELP!

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    I'm currently having an issue where i could leave my laptop for an 1 hour or a few seconds and when i come back its black screen unresponsive power button light on and the disk light is not on and fan on spinning quietly. Random no idea what's causing it i have to hold the power button down to force shut it to retart it to get it to work. In event manager it saids something about kernel no idea what to do as i dont know if I'm causing the unexpected shut down by holding the power button or if thats the actual fault.

    submitted by /u/qazer011
    [link] [comments]

    How close/ far are we to Night video mode instead of just Night photo mode

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 02:22 PM PDT

    These Night modes are amazing on the newest phones. And we know that Night Vision( like in old camcorders) on smartphones is kinda impossible. How realistic and when we can expect these amazing night photo modes to become night video modes?

    submitted by /u/ArcAngel2k
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best mobile device network settings amidst covid19?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    Can I connect two routers to two different coax ports but be on the same network?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 12:51 PM PDT

    In my house, we have a a router that I cannot connect to my computer through Ethernet. I want to know if I can buy a second modem or router and have them be on the same network by connecting them both to two separate coax outlets and not have them connected to each other physically?

    submitted by /u/MuffinCrow
    [link] [comments]

    How do I add more storage to a Samsung Galaxy S9 using a Micro SD

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    Ok, so this is a really stupid question I'm sorry I just need to ask some things. Firstly, do I really just need to put in a Micro SD card? Will any Micro SD card work? Will it delete the things already on my phone? Do I need to have it in any specific formatting? Is there anything I should know before I do it?

    Thank you all for enduring the barrage of questions and I am sorry if they are all stupid.

    submitted by /u/_Darth_Nihilus_
    [link] [comments]

    Uniden Dect 6 base station - can other Dect 6 handsets connect with it?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    I have an existing Uniden Dect 6 system, a base station with a handset and two additional handsets. I now want to buy additional handsets. If I buy some other brand handset will it be able to connect to my existing base station?

    submitted by /u/JohnAS0420
    [link] [comments]

    Could something be causing wireless tech in my apt to have poor connections?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    I was wondering if it's normal or possible for something to be interfering with tech in my apartment. My Xbox controllers like to lose connection to my PC lately, as well as my wireless mouse and keyboard. And my girlfriend's switch controllers don't seem so work 100% right unless they are docked to the console.

    Does anybody have any advice? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ThePandaKingdom
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to record group video call stream's separately?

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 08:41 AM PDT

    I need a way to record a group skype/zoom/teams/facetime call but have all the incoming streams save as separate video files so I can edit them later

    At a minimum I would need to record my own stream plus 5 others.

    Everyone else on the call would just need to be able to see everyone else in the call as normal.

    Any help appreciated

    submitted by /u/sigummer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment