• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 22, 2020

    Tech Support - How long do you think it will be before smart home devices can understand conversation instead of just commands?

    Tech Support - How long do you think it will be before smart home devices can understand conversation instead of just commands?


    How long do you think it will be before smart home devices can understand conversation instead of just commands?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 06:26 PM PST

    Right now our smart devices respond to very basic commands and questions. "What's the weather like?" "Turn the lights on" etc.

    What I'm wondering is how far away are we from the science fiction type smart homes? Where you can say much more complex and multilayered things?

    "When will the weather clear up?" "Turn on all the lights except the hallway lights and the front porch light"

    I feel like I don't have really good examples of what I mean by conversations. Think the robot from interstellar (but only in conversation) or maybe iron mans home AI.

    Is this years away or are we a lot closer than we think?

    submitted by /u/Kettellkorn
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best sites for free, ultra high-res satellite imagery (besides Google Earth)?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 02:10 AM PST

    Could someone please suggest a good note-taking app for Android, for use with a physical keyboard?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:44 AM PST

    Needs to have - 3-tier categorisation (Notebook>Section>Page) - Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-B for bold)

    Have tried both OneNote and Evernote

    submitted by /u/OculoDoc
    [link] [comments]

    My computer is starting to suck am I on the right track diagnosing it

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 03:20 PM PST

    Recently when powering on my pc the rig powers up but the 2 monitors dont. Sometimes I need to power on the pc 2-3 ftimes before the monitors come on which is a pita. So Im thinking first its the PSU but it pc wouldn't necessarily power up if there was an issue with the PSU, Its not the monitors since they work flawlessly the only culprit is the GPU which is SAPPHIRE RX590 the Blue one. Im very close to buying a new GPU to test out my theory and wanted to know what others thought about this.

    submitted by /u/frogmicky
    [link] [comments]

    It's about earphones.

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:52 PM PST

    So i was listening to some 4d audios and i know they sound like the sounds are circling around your head but with my new earphones it seems like it just plays on both... Can anyone explain how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/throwkoffee
    [link] [comments]

    Vpn with cloudflare Dns 1.1.1.1?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:50 PM PST

    Okay so I read somewhere that VPN Dns can leak information and you should change your IP's DNS. So I did, I Changed mine to 1.1.1.1 via android settings. Here's what I found: Without connected to DNS but connected to VPN revealed location I was connecting (hence vpn was working, I am connected to UK from Switzerland). On ipleak.net It came up with three British IP addresses, hence no DNS leak. Then I changed my DNS server to Cloudflares while keeping my VPN Turned on. Interestingly, on ipleak.net I still came up with a British IP, but with a different one this time. On expressvpn's own site, it said that my DNS is leaking, but the address is still British and provider is cloudflare. So what's going on? Is Cloudflare overriding the current VPN Dns? In both cases, my real IP based in Switzerland didn't came up. Is cloudflare running a free VPN service?

    submitted by /u/Hellfire2311
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions: tablet for digital art

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 04:05 PM PST

    Hello all.

    My daughter (young teen) is a creative and artistic soul. She's asked for an iPad for her next birthday to use for digital art.

    She's specified iPad as that's what a friend has, but if you have alternate suggestions I'd love to hear them too. The primary use case for the tablet is digital art, so I'm not too concerned about additional functionality. We also already have a stylus and board thing that plugs into a laptop, so I'm not looking for that.

    I am decidedly not in the market for a latest top of the range iPad, but I'd like your views on what might work well.

    Budget: £100-£150 UK sterling (some limited flexibility on this)

    Needs: A tablet that works well, ideally an iPad. Compatible with a stylus. Whatever OS/platform, suitable digital art apps are important (free or paid for)

    Not Needs It can be (and will likely be) second hand or refurbished. Battery life isn't too important as it can be plugged in most of the time if needed.

    I just want something that will meet her needs, isn't too old and laggy. I've googled and there are lots of things out there in my price range, I just don't know which are good.

    What would you recommend folks?

    PS - this is my first time posting to this community, I hope I've not done anything incorrect or improper. I do hope you can offer some advice.

    submitted by /u/pdarigan
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a small electric motor that produces a high pitched whine (similar to a dental drill)

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 12:42 PM PST

    There has to be another type of gadget out there that behaves similar? Right?

    submitted by /u/DuckiestBoat959
    [link] [comments]

    What metrics determine how good a video card is?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 07:16 PM PST

    Storage is measured in GB, and CPUs are measured in Ghz, but how do I measure Graphics cards? I know they process too.

    I would like to buy an affordable, better one for an older pc but have no basis for deciding.

    submitted by /u/churchofclaus
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft Azure and Dynamics 365. How are they similar and different?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 03:30 PM PST

    How are they similar and how are they different? I've been looking at some readings about them, but I can't really pinpoint the similarities and the differences between the two. I know they are both cloud based and that Dynamics 365 can be hosted on Azure. But, what does that mean exactly? And why use one over the other?

    submitted by /u/OinkyP
    [link] [comments]

    Best bluetooth earphones for iOS?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 07:06 PM PST

    At hindsight, Airpods Pro might be the best option. However Apple is known to have a high price with subpar value. They seem to crank up the price just because they can, though I'm not sure if this is right. Are there perhaps any better alternatives to the Airpods Pro that are either the same price or perhaps cheaper?

    submitted by /u/masterofuwus
    [link] [comments]

    Can I remove the data from an iPhone that I can’t unlock?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 01:31 PM PST

    So basically I have this iPhone 8 with a screen that is shot, it moves in its own and keeps entering a passcode and making the phone disabled so i have a new phone and wanna transfer all my data do you guys know how I can go about doing this?

    submitted by /u/slyboi55
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade HDD to a SSD and still retain all data and functionality.

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 04:58 PM PST

    I'm wondering if there's a way to flawlessly transfer and upgrade an already existing (dated) PC hard drive to a newer SSD yet still maintain all data and usability as if nothing was changed on the PC except a storage evolution.

    What is a recommended SSD? I currently have a 2TB HDD.

    Can I install a new SSD and simply copy everything over from one drive to the other? (I'm guessing no)

    PC Details:

    HP x64 bit

    8GB Ram

    Intel Core i7 2600 CPU 3.40GHz

    submitted by /u/MindSplit
    [link] [comments]

    Could you upload the entire Library of Babel onto an online plagiarism checker ?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 02:49 PM PST

    If you do so will it see everything as plagiarism.

    submitted by /u/Drax343
    [link] [comments]

    SanDisk 1TB model differences?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:57 AM PST

    Buying a 1TB SD however i'm having a very hard time finding a direct answer about the difference between two models. There is the SDSQXBZ-1T00-ANCMA model and the SDSQXA1-1T00-GN6MA model. I believe based on what i'm reading that the GN6MA is the older extreme version and only has up to 60 read speed? Where the ANCMA extreme plus does go up to 160 speed but I can't find any solid confirmation on this. It's about a 100 dollar difference between the two. Does anyone know? It's getting harder to keep up with this stuff if you take a break from reading up on technology.

    submitted by /u/1stimefun
    [link] [comments]

    Are my internet speeds normal for my plan?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 02:26 PM PST

    Hello, I have Verizon FiOS Gigabit [940/880 Mbps]. But my speed tests don't come close to that. I made a script that runs a speed test every hour and logs and charts the results you can see here

    My router (Nighthawk R7000) has gigabit ports my switch (NETGEAR GSS108E) is gigabit and my network card also has a gigabit port. all cables are CAT5E I don't understand why my speeds are not closer to gigabit can you help? would different cables (CAT 6) help?

    Do any of you have Verizon Fios Gigabit what speeds to you actually receive?

    submitted by /u/nerdiestnerdballer
    [link] [comments]

    Vpn with choose specific server

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 02:22 PM PST

    Hello! please recommend android vpn app where is large pool of servers and I can manually choose a specific one.

    submitted by /u/beribi7613
    [link] [comments]

    How is it possible that my phone can display full bars LTE when I can’t even load safari or anything with minimal internet usage

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:30 AM PST

    How to pay for shopify plan in India via paypal?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 10:08 AM PST

    I have made paypal account added my debut card and credit card in. Now, you cannot add balance in paypal in India according to RBI guidelines. So, you have pay pay via debit card or credit card when making payments. I am trying to pay for my shopify account and payment is not going through, it says payment failed. please help me, what can i do?

    submitted by /u/SupremeLoda
    [link] [comments]

    Dual monitor

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 12:53 PM PST

    Gpu: msi GeForce RTX 2070 Super My computer isn't detecting my second monitor. I currently have them both for hdmi and with an hdmi splitter. Can't figure out why it's not detecting the second.

    submitted by /u/doodoo4321
    [link] [comments]

    Really need help figuring this out. [Open Network / WEP on iPhone or Mac as HotSpot]

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 09:00 AM PST

    Hey all, Im encountering a problem with my network, or more preferably I need to turn my iPhone X into a open network hotspot. This sounds simple in theory, but I've come to learn anything to do with apple is either restrictive or just not an option. Since when I turn my iPhone X into a hotspot no configuration options are present and it also requires a password (mandatory) so I can't even have an open network hotspot. Now I know trying to access these features or ideals is not good practice as I am fully aware that having an open network or a WEP security enabled network comes with risks, however I need to achieve this to access old data from a DNS. I've even tried to create a WEP network on my mac but to no avail, any ideas on how with a mac or iphone that there are ways a WEP secured Network or an open network on either device can be achieved ?

    the reason I need to achieve this, is the old Nintendo DS lites / 3Ds can only access a WEP or Open network, but I do NOT want to put my actual home network at risk, so I tried making my mac or iphone a temporary hotspot for this reason. So I can theoretically enable online services within the old games which now have defunct online services. (the DNS I would communicate with through the WEP or Open network has the online functionality enabled).

    Heres is a visual example of someone accessing a Nintendo DS game (first part is fine uses (WPA2), its when it gets to an older game that needs an open network or WEP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbsY_illQms in the video he seems to achieve this by using a Galaxy S8 I believe, but I do not own that device and have an iPhone X and a Mac book pro 2018, my route is WPA2, but there must be some way with all this latest tech to turn apart of it into WEP or an open network without running the risk of it interfering with my WPA2 Home Router / secure network.

    submitted by /u/SerifGrey
    [link] [comments]

    In serverless, what fits within what?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 05:36 AM PST

    Hi /r/AskTechnology,

    I'm learning about serverless at the moment for a client. Please bear in mind that I'm not technically trained, although I am "geeky" and play around with tech quite a bit.

    From what I've figured out so far, or at least think that I have:

    - Container images contain an application, such as a web server. But they "look" like a VM image, as in it's one file.

    - Docker images contain the container image as well as the runtime needed for it to actually work and compute.

    - Kubernetes are the orchestrator that drives the automation. They push the stuff about onto nodes, which can be dedicated servers or VPSs.

    So here's what I don't get:

    - What fits within what: as in from a simple file/folder hierarchy perspective. Does a "Kubernete" contain the pod that drives the automation plus the docker and container images? Or is there something into which all the components are wrapped?

    - Why is serverless better: Obviously there are things like EC2 which (again, AFAIK) allow users to scale cloud servers automatically. What's the idea behind Kubernetes that makes it so smart? Ie, why is it better for applications to not be tied to a specific server / data region but rather to kind of float around as needed? Do Kubernetes cycle between nodes? Or is that not even the idea?

    This stuff is complicated and I'm confused. But any answers would be helpful!

    submitted by /u/drjlm3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment