• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 1, 2020

    Tech Support - What is to stop tech giants from hacking foreign governments or other groups that have attempted to attack them?

    Tech Support - What is to stop tech giants from hacking foreign governments or other groups that have attempted to attack them?


    What is to stop tech giants from hacking foreign governments or other groups that have attempted to attack them?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:15 PM PST

    Example is the group thought to be from North Korea who have run a spearfishing campaign by sending emails from user@rnicrosoft.com.

    Microsoft took them to court. But doesn't Microsoft have unique knowledge of their platform they could use to devastate the group?

    submitted by /u/Cjustinstockton
    [link] [comments]

    Will my brother's internet browsing put other devices using the wifi at risk or should I just disable our router for his visit?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 03:22 AM PST

    During college, my brother and I lived together briefly for the first time as adults. One week he was without his computer (I don't remember why) and asked if he could use mine while I was at work. Sure, why not? Well, the very expensive, persistent, and embarrassing malware and viruses (honestly, I don't know the difference, I'm going by what I was told) were why not. I was too embarrassed to broach the issue and was able to get my own apartment a few months later, so it was never discussed between us and has just become a thing I'll occasionally stew over.

    However, now that we're adults and live in separate states and there are talks of visits, I'm worried again. He'll be visiting in March, and this has been causing me some anxiety. Especially since cellphones with internet are now more of a thing than they were then.

    We're an Apple household (mostly) and he uses PCs and Android devices exclusively; detests Apple, actually, so there's little chance of him wanting to use or connecting to any of our devices. And one would hope that, as an adult with a decent paying job, he's using more reputable sites for these...purposes. But I still worry: if he accesses one of the sites that so infected my computer those many years ago, will it be able to skip across our shared wifi and infect our devices? Will we start getting advertisements for the things he looks at?

    I'm worried enough about this that I've actually considered telling him we only use the internet at work and then hiding all of our connected devices (Roku, the router, etc) before he gets here. I know this probably sounds like I'm overreacting and being silly; I don't care that he visits these sites, after all. I guess I'm just scarred from having the student at the helpdesk bring me back my laptop and, while not being able to meet my eye, tell me I need to bring it to a professional to fix. That was bad enough as a broke college statement. I think, now, I'd rather throw everything out and start new.

    submitted by /u/mikitymoo623
    [link] [comments]

    About power outlet and electrical adpater

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 01:38 AM PST

    I'm currently living in France and in 2 weeks I'm going to Canada for work for about 3 years. As you surely know the power outlets in Canada is different from the European ones and I have 2 solutions for the electrical devices I'm bringing with me (computer, Switch, and my phone). I can either buy new electrical cables compatible with the North American power outlets, or I can keep my European cable and instead buy 3 electrical adapters. The thing is that I'm worried that electrical adapters aren't meant for prolonged uses (like for a computer that will use a lot of energy) and I don't know if it's dangerous to leave my computer plug for too long. What do you think ?

    submitted by /u/PigMasked
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a classical 87-key(keypad less) quiet wireless keyboard?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 11:25 AM PST

    87-key keyboards I can find are mechanical(they are loud as I understand) wired(because they are usually for gaming) or they have that notebook-like type of layout when all the keys including arrows and F1-F12 smooshed together without an extra space so it's very hard to touch type on them. I'm a software engineer not a gamer, so I need it to be quiet so I can work without disturbing other people. I touch type so I don't need keypad, also I'm looking for a classical layout it's much easier to touch type on that one.

    submitted by /u/MaxNevermind
    [link] [comments]

    Fire Stick won't turn on when TV is turned on

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 03:21 PM PST

    Why won't my TV turn on the 4K Fire Stick? When I turn on my TV (Vizio D24h-G9) (Max Res.720) I have to use my original remote and change the input settings to HDMI 2 and then back to HDMI 1 for it to turn on the Fire Stick. I have the TV settings to HDMI 1 but it still doesn't turn on or recognize the Stick. I have tried powering the stick through the USB on the TV and that doesn't work. I have tried and changed just about every significant setting on the TV and the Stick and nothing works. Once the stick comes on, the stick remote works for all functions and the streaming is flawless. It's only when I first turn on the TV that the stick doesn't turn on. Is it because I have a LOW RES TV with a 4K stick?

    submitted by /u/tgflag
    [link] [comments]

    Put a Mbit/s limit on my Fritz!Box Router

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 10:27 AM PST

    Hello guys,

    hopefully I'm in the right place. I've been searching for long now and I can't find anything that makes me limit how many Mbit/s people can maximally "use". I have a secondary connection for guests but it doesn't say there is a limit people will have if connected there. My router is a Fritz!Box 6490 Cable, these are the results on speedtest.net : https://www.speedtest.net/result/8903923922

    There are 16 devices connected daily (aunt and her family will stay here for some weeks) and I can't even go on Internet because it needs soooo much time.

    Basically what I need is to limit "how much Internet speed" they can use to avoid extreme lag.

    Any help will be really appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Fabio2300
    [link] [comments]

    How to know if it's usb 3.2 gen 1, gen 2 or gen 2x2

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 04:55 AM PST

    How do i know the difference? Maybe between gen1 and gen2 the manufacturer prints the specifications, but how can you tell if you have gen 2x2, does the two lanes of 2x2 means two cables?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/agcuevas
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment