• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 7, 2020

    Tech Support - How much negative information can you uncover about someone just by knowing their email address?

    Tech Support - How much negative information can you uncover about someone just by knowing their email address?


    How much negative information can you uncover about someone just by knowing their email address?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:51 PM PST

    Like if you gave me your email address and i wanted to build a comprehensive profile of you, possibly judge you by your history on the internet, maybe even based on what websites you've signed up to, would it be possible?

    submitted by /u/OnSnowWhiteWings
    [link] [comments]

    Random Video Player

    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 12:47 AM PST

    I think my google skills are lacking. I have the whole M*A*S*H series and like 100 movies on dvd I would like to put on my computer to play randomly <copy the dvd's onto my computer>. Is there a program out there already that would allow me to set these to shuffle? I would like to purchase other t.v. series if I can find a good program that does this for me.

    submitted by /u/FrozenStock
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the best way to store away my Xbox 360 console?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 11:59 AM PST

    After a decade, I am finally putting away my Xbox 360 console. I don't want to sell it and I want to keep it stored away. I was thinking of putting it in a transparent container surronded with clothes. Would this harm it in any way? It will most likely be there for years. Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/SapphireAlbatross8
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] just being Specific. Power MacBook Pro 2015 ( magsafe 2) with External power bank (USB-C)

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 11:24 PM PST

    I was just wondering than since USB-C (PD) can deliver unto 100W, can we power MacBook Pro Early 2015 which has a Magsafe 2 adapter, with USB-C (PD)? ultimately using external power banks to power my Mac?

    submitted by /u/ImAqeel
    [link] [comments]

    RS232 Balun for Button Passthrough

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:34 PM PST

    I have a project I am working on and I cant seem to find an answer to a question I have, maybe because I cant find the right words to describe what I want to do in the google machine..

    I am using an HDMI Balun (https://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=EXT-HDBT70C) to connect my home server that is in my basement to a monitor in my office, it has an RS232 port on it and want to utilize that as a passthrough to connect a physical button on the monitor side to the power button pins on the motherboard. I want to be able to push the button on one end to power off the server or power on the server if needed, as of right now since I cant figure out a way to simply use the Tx and Rx as just wire runs (I have tried and they do not simply act as connectors from the Tx to Rx pins) so if I cant find a solution here I may just run a Cat6 line and directly connect the button to the board.

    submitted by /u/nlibby987
    [link] [comments]

    currently searching for topics to write my master thesis about

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 07:27 AM PST

    Hey Tech-Redditors,

    I am searching for topics to write my master thesis exposé and wanted to ask for some of your ideas. Maybe you have read some recent paper about a topic I could like, cool research methods or something new but relevant, maybe even research questions or hypothesises? There are many interesting topics, but I'd like to choose something personal motivating and make it a fun scientific ride, so I will give you some of my questions and thoughts.

    To my background: I am studying information systems with special interest in human computer interaction. I loved the approach of embodied ai, Intelligence coming from an agent interacting with its environment - simple sensors and functions evolving to reach a goal. That's why I love smart rooms and augmented ai. Different lights and sounds following time and mood, wireless connection of everything or holograms to talk to out of state family... The mouse and touchpad are such outdated interaction devices, yet so dominant... Which interaction tool is suited for which purpose? How can we use speech control without people feeling observed? How do we gain trust in technology? It's terrifying to get ads by algorithms for topics we just had our first thoughts about! Hearing about manipulation and data leaks means IT-security is not keeping up. We need to find simple ways to interact with technology without harming us. Social media - why is there no good alternative to facebook yet? How can these dopamine notifications not be banned after such an increase in isolation and social media addiction? Cooperating and communicating over the web is a gift, but it's not adapted on healthy human behaviour.

    My intrinsic motivation is to push technologic development in a positive way. Meaning technology should make our life better, not make us slaves of what we created. But what does a better life mean and for whom am I talking? I am not really into coding anymore and, well, also not machine learning - don't want to spent time tuning models during my thesis. And I think we don't need complex algorithms to improve basic life: feedbackloops create our preference bubbles and hold us prisoner of our past. They are powerful, but so intransparent. In this sense, I could see myself in ethical topics of ai - discrimination and human bias in algorithms or the creation of digital twins for medical purposes for example.

    Currently I have a seminar in which I research DeepFake Detection, and another one focusing in everyday perception of future technology effects. Both are really interesting, but first one is too ML heavy for my knowledge level and second showed me how broad this topic goes: User want control, current systems are intransparent, driverless cars and boston dynamics scary, smartphone addiction, bionic transplants wow, virtual reality etc.

    It would be nice to find a topic in which i could create qualitative interviews or quantative questionaries and not develop something myself.. I think that would be a level on top.

    As I said, there is so much going on in our technological world, and it's so fast.. even as an IS-Student I cannot keep track of all new movements. The more paper and article I read, the less I feel to have the overview of what could be most relevant. But hey, we are a communiy and here I give you the chance to give some random guy input on the www!

    Keep seeding my friends and a happy 2020!

    TL;DR IS student with focus on hci searching for research topic, smart technologies, ethics ai, positive impact on life

    submitted by /u/lookatmydonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Smart Plugs Will Not Connect To Wifi With Password

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:18 PM PST

    I have two smart plugs that I'm having trouble connecting to my wifi network. After going through a lot of trial and error, I've found that the smart plugs only connect to my 2.4G network when there is no password on the network. I tried to find ways to lower the security when I password protect the network, but I can't figure it out. I have an Arris modem and have been going to the admin network configuration page to adjust the settings. Does anyone know why my smart plugs are only connecting when I have no password on the network? I am ensuring that I'm typing in the password correctly when setting up the plugs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    Some more info: there are only three password settings in the WiFi settings: WPA2-PSK (AES), WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES), and Open. The smart plugs say to make sure security setting is on WPA2-PSK and the authentication is on AES.

    submitted by /u/Asktoseemylowhangers
    [link] [comments]

    Purposely ruin my voip call quality?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 03:41 PM PST

    Perhaps to the point its rendered useless through packet loss, humming, buzzing.. Whatever. Any ideas?

    This is on my home Network so have access to my router.

    Don't ask why.. -_-

    submitted by /u/halfpastdru
    [link] [comments]

    copying a keyfob onto a wearable finger ring

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 11:47 AM PST

    Hi All,

    My apartment complex uses electronic locks on everything. I was given a keyfob to open the various locks. The keyfob is made by Salto.

    I was wondering if there's some way to copy the keyfob onto a ring i could wear on my finger? It would be a lot more convenient to do that for when I'm carrying stuff. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/264418801462

    Salto apparently makes silicone wrist bracelets- that would be my 2nd choice. Worst case, i could buy a regular silicone ring and a bracelet and cut the chip out of the bracelet - assuming the chip is small enough to insert into a finger ring.

    submitted by /u/merkk
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an USB-C - POE-Charger-Thingy

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 01:40 PM PST

    Hey there, please excuse the weird title and also if this is the wrong subreddit for this question. I'm looking for an adapter which I can hookup to my PoE Switch, which is adapting to USB-C to provide power to my phone (available for the Raspi 4) but also server network via USB instead of splitting it up. Is there something like that already in existence?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ThisIsTenou
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming computer question

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 04:29 AM PST

    A guy built this gaming computer that he would sell to me for $450. Not looking for high end specs but definitely something serviceable. Is this worth it? Thanks!

    New Custom built Gaming Computer with new and lightly used parts. Specs include: Intel i5-4590 3.3GHZ Quad Core Processor. Asus B85 Plus Motherboard. 16GB DDR3 1600mhz Memory. MSI GTX 1060 6GB Dual Fan OC Graphics Card. 480GB Adata SU635 Solid State Drive. Rosewill 850 Watt Platinum Quark High Efficiency Modular Power Supply. DVD/CD Burner and Player. Rosewill Nautilus ATX Case. Windows 10 Home 64 Bit.

    submitted by /u/AdamWisc
    [link] [comments]

    Can I build an electromagnetic transducer in the form of a toroid inductor that functions like a guitar pickup?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 12:53 PM PST

    Guitar pickups are built like bobbin inductors, but could I build one using a toroid magnet coiled in enameled wire that senses the movement of a string(s) that runs through its center?

    submitted by /u/conmen123
    [link] [comments]

    Does Windows 7 aero increase fps on games or decreases fps on games?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 12:17 PM PST

    TV show tracker app

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 11:59 AM PST

    I'm in the UK and I'm looking for an app that will tell me the next time an episode or series is about to start, does anyone know of one?

    The few I've tried seem to give times for when they air in the US.

    submitted by /u/redjames87
    [link] [comments]

    Should I trade super strong desktop for weaker laptop for mobility?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 10:04 AM PST

    So over thee last 5 years I built a super strong desktop for games, but have lost interest in (most) games. Now the most demanding applications i would need a computer to run are Krita and Beat Saber.

    I have put up a trade offer around locally in search of getting a strong laptop as a trade for this desktop, and have gotten an offer of a weaker but still strong alienware 17 r3 laptop.

    The desktop I would lose in this trade is a i7-8700k, 980 ti + 144hz monitor. This is a signifigant downgrade, but if I just really care for mobility and those two applications, would the trade be worth while?

    submitted by /u/Thesongbird1
    [link] [comments]

    I am 33 years old and I interested in a learning programming language?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 09:46 AM PST

    I am 33 years old and I interested in a learning programming language What field that you recommend to me to find a job in developer fastly Data science or web developer or iOS and android developer?

    submitted by /u/pyrhonzm
    [link] [comments]

    Devices charge from 2.0 USB port but not from 3.0 USB port?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 05:22 AM PST

    Why do my devices get power from a USB 2.0 hub connected to the 3.0 USB port on my laptop (powered off) but get no power when directly connected to the 3.0 port?

    The hub is actually a USB splitter, it doesn't get power from the wall.

    submitted by /u/Jemtao
    [link] [comments]

    Free email to use with own email domain

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 04:20 AM PST

    Any suggestions for a free email service where I can use my own domain over the top?

    I currently use MS Exchange and works great but looking to reduce costs. Happy with Outlook.com email but looks like you can't use your own domain.

    Many thanks,

    submitted by /u/razzfiles
    [link] [comments]

    I recently got a 65' 4K/HDR TV and got the Netflix package that supports 4K and HDR. When checking the network speeds, I noticed inconsistencies between various TV shows that are stated to be HDR and 4K compatible.

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:45 AM PST

    Hi Everyone,

    My internet speed is very slow. I am working on getting a better router and going for a wired connection when I get the chance. This poor internet speed is due to living in a rural area and having a satellite connection rather than high speed broadband. For general browsing it works perfect and it even manages HD streaming (1080p) on Netflix.

    However, in the meantime, I recently got a 65' 4K/HDR TV and got the Netflix package that supports 4K and HDR. When checking the network speeds, I noticed inconsistencies between various TV shows that are stated to be HDR and 4K compatible.

    For Example, I was streaming "You" and it averaged 7mbps and got me to 1080p with ease. However, "Our Planet" averaged 13mbps with ease. More to that point, "Don't F**k with Cats" averaged 17mbps. The TV position never changed, the router position never changed; the distance between the two was always the same. I also kept a wireless connection for all three. All are HDR compatible and I watched all as HDR.

    Moreover, "Greenleaf" which is 4K UHD averaged 6.5mbps and Blade 2045 7.65mbps.

    Is there a reason some shows are getting better mbps on average than some? Nothing changed each time and my data usage is well under control and nowhwere near the limit. Also, minimal to zero other devices were using the internet at this time.

    Hope someone can explain how this can be. Also would a new router and/or wired connection help? The router I have came with my internet package 3 years ago and pricing it in retail stores it is a fairly cheap model compared to some of the others- I am writing from Ireland so if you are giving Router names that are good and reliable make them easily available in Ireland

    Thanks so much

    submitted by /u/KeithKiely
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way we could timestamp an online article?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:26 AM PST

    I'm looking for ways or sites where I could publish an article without having anyone (even me) the ability to edit or delete the article.

    submitted by /u/wwelsh00
    [link] [comments]

    KVM Switch

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:20 AM PST

    I have been looking at getting a KVM switch so when I work from home I can hook my work laptop up to my 2 monitors, keyboard and mouse.

    My laptop is a HP Elitebook that only has 1 HDMI port. I use a docking station at the office but need it to stay there and want to avoid buying one for home unless I have to for the KVM switch.

    With so many different KVM options I am not sure what exactly I will need to set this up. Again everything I plan on connecting is:

    2 Monitors Home PC Work Laptop 1 Keyboard 1 Mouse

    submitted by /u/mfine49
    [link] [comments]

    What is the official name of the power cable for the PlayStation 2?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:00 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment