• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 18, 2020

    Tech Support - Speedtest websites show massively higher results than my plan

    Tech Support - Speedtest websites show massively higher results than my plan


    Speedtest websites show massively higher results than my plan

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    I currently pay for a 10Mbps (megabits) plan from my ISP.

    When I use speedtest websites such as Speedtest.net, Fast.com, etc, I am getting results of like 50 - 100 Mbps, and also my torrent download speeds are like 80 Mbps.

    How is this possible?

    Another question, the port being used by my torrent program isn't actually open in my router, and testing that port shows it isn't "open", but I still receive incredible torrent speeds?

    submitted by /u/aktillum
    [link] [comments]

    hard drive or ssd?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 04:36 AM PDT

    Good afternoon, So... the reason why I'm here is a simple question, with an hard to take decision.

    Is it really worth upgrading to an SSD?

    I'm asking that because i know some reasons that block me from doing the upgrade:

    1) ssd has a limit of write/erase, which means it can shut down and don't work anymore.

    2) the risk of that not working anymore, means losing all data without recovery unless you have a recent backup.

    3) hard drives have a lot of software that help you check if they are failing and IF they are failing, you have time to backup the stuff that is still possible to save.

    4) the speed is an important reason for ssd, but with intel optane and other flash memories, you literally can quadruplicate the speed of an hard drive (tested and works really fine).

    5) ssd still cost a lot.

    SO... can someone just give me the reasons PRO on SSD?

    thank you guys!

    submitted by /u/Nikepowa
    [link] [comments]

    Will the Wacom Pro Pen 2 work on my Lenovo Yoga c940?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 02:26 AM PDT

    I know the Pro Pen 2 is a better pen, I'm just not sure if the Yoga c940 supports it. If it doesn't, what is the best pen for drawing on the Yoga c940?

    submitted by /u/silenceiskillingme
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Surface Go a good tablet replacement for a laptop?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:15 AM PDT

    Wifi Surveillance and Data Mining

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    My landlord installed and activated a system of ten Ruckus R500 Wifi routers (access points) around the apartment complex where I live. Can it be used for Surveillance and Data Mining that is sold. I know Wifi can work like Radar. Is the Ruckus R500 technically capable of this and how does it work. Also recommend articles, books and websites for further information on this topic. Thanks

    submitted by /u/HKS8888
    [link] [comments]

    Why isn't there a Username/Password standard?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    I'm not really sure what I'm asking, I guess I just want to rant about how much I get annoyed with how login systems work. I suppose I'm asking whether the future will be better somehow.

    Why isn't there a standard for password creation in the first place? Number of special characters etc. I always used to find Keychain got caught out by sites that wouldn't accept hyphens as a character, and there was no way of amending the password on the device.

    I have a third-party password manager now, but I don't find that it solves everything. On a couple of occasions I've clicked 'update password' when the notification comes up, and it's saves '#Name' as the password. This is really annoying if I'm copy-pasting the password, I leave it a few weeks assuming everthing's ok, and when I get logged out, I can't recover the password again, and have to reset.

    Why isn't there a simple way a computer know which fields are for password/usernames? My password manager has a feature to train it to understand the input fields in applications, but that too is useless most of the time, and saves the wrong thing (I can't say I've used it enough to know if it really is 'most of the time').

    I feel that this should be made more user friendly, otherwise it just encourages people to chose insecure passwords.

    Do you think this will be improved anytime soon?

    submitted by /u/alfiestoppani
    [link] [comments]

    Need help connecting all of my rgb components together

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Long story short I decided to build my first high end computer a few weeks ago and everything went smooth until the rgb cables part. I think i inserted one of the cables in a wrong orientation on my motherboard and fried my brand new motherboard. Ive since ordered a new one (went with lga1200 this time) and i9 10900k cpu. Everything is put back together except the rgb cables from the fans and case (fan power cables are connected) and im terrified of frying my mother board again and so asking for your help to walk me through it. ( this is just rgb cables as I have the power cables from the fans all hooked up and working correctly)

    System: aorus z490 master, i9 10900k cpu, gtx 680 gpu (lol I know), 16gb 4000 gskill ram, thermaltake toughpower rgb 850 psu

    I have 5 rgb fans, 1 rgb water cooler, an rgb controller built into the case, a 12-way rgb hub splitter, and another rgb controller that simply connects to a 4 pin male for remote control use. Im hoping i can integrate all of this together with the ultimate goal of having ALL rgb components be controlled by both the front pabel rgb controller, AND the remote control as well. If this isn't possible, id like for at least either of the two to fully controllable, preferably remote controller over case controller.

    (Worth noting I have 2 4-pin rgb headers and 2 3-pin rgb headers available on my mobo as nothing rgb related is hooked up yet)

    If youre up to the challenge heres some pictures of everything with a lot more detail. Thank you in advance :)

    https://imgur.com/gallery/p4eX8Ud

    submitted by /u/rustaholic88
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding specific adapter for ssd NVMe

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    I disassembled my msi laptop and took out the ssd so that i can transfer my files onto another device. the problem is i cant seem to find an adapter with the right fit. All the adapters i see for the NVMe are either like a case thats way too small or just not functional for my ssd since the 2 black blocks are so chunky. If anyone can suggest a good adapter that would be so helpful! Thanks in advance.

    https://imgur.com/HG9GTXx

    https://imgur.com/dKe6o7s

    submitted by /u/icantfixthishalp1
    [link] [comments]

    How Shared IP lowers the Bnadwidth?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, While browsing, I've noticed a odd thing about internet Bandwidth. The national ISP of my country, provides 1mbps @ ~7$ & I'm not sure about the Bandwidth capping.

    But my local ISP provides me 16 mbps(off-peak) @ ~5$.

    How do they actually do this???

    As Starlink is being a reality, I was thinking, if I could get one & share it with my neighbourhood for low cost.

    submitted by /u/rahat1269
    [link] [comments]

    Help looking for a communication device

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    I am trying to find something similar to a walkie-talkie, but in the form of a self-contained headset. So far my search for this has gone nowhere, so I am hoping that someone here may be able to help locate such a device or at the very least narrow my search down a bit.

    submitted by /u/EariosRandomness1
    [link] [comments]

    Weird microphone noise

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    I bought a small cheap microphone a few weeks ago, with a aux jack that splits off to a female headphone jack, and a microphone. It was working fine up until a few days ago when it started producing a loud static sound. It does so in both microphone jacks, but doesn't do it on my phone. I thought it was a problem with my computer? But it is a BRAND NEW self build. Maybe a software issue? But transcends applications. Not sure... suggestions?

    submitted by /u/TheDollarStoreDildo
    [link] [comments]

    Missing drivers

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    I hope this is the right sub. I am trying to get back to Windows 10 from Linux mint in my Lenovo but every time after i choose what language i want it says that i am missing some drivers. I've looked online and tried everything, what should i do? I don't know which drivers i need

    submitted by /u/volicloppo
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapest true 10bit TV?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    I find it hard to find a true 10 bit panel, since most are in the 8+2. Any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/galaxyboi10
    [link] [comments]

    Wiping a hard drive?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    I want to basically get a "fresh start" with my computer. My hard drive and my SSD have just become extremely cluttered and they are almost full now. Half of the things I have on my computer I don't even use anymore. Instead of going through and figuring out what I need/don't need could I just move some essential stuff I want to keep onto a thumb drive or something and wipe my drives? Would I need to reinstall windows? What do you think is the best way to do it?

    submitted by /u/TheOneAndOnlyGizzy
    [link] [comments]

    Is the iPhone app 'Focus Lock' trustworthy?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    I need an app that will prevent me from using other apps for a certain time. So I stumbled upon this app called Focus Lock. I installed it, but in order for it to work it says that I need to install a 'profile' on my phone of some sort. When I try to install this profile my phone sends a 'warning' that says that when I install this profile the provider of the app can control my phone at a distance, collect personal information, delete data, etc.

    Despite this warning, the app seems legit. Can I trust this app and can I safely install that profile, or no?

    submitted by /u/Claus16
    [link] [comments]

    Microphone level automatically adjust on Windows Start-Up

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    Everytime I start my Windows 10 PC my microphone level is set automatically. The same thing happens when I start the program Audacity.

    The volume isn't changed in the windows settings but on the microphone itself. I have to increase the volume by using the buttons on the mic.

    I am using the Tonor-Q9 USB MIC.

    I already updated all drivers.

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/HazyOnline
    [link] [comments]

    Processors used to be 286, 386, 486... what version of x86 are up to now?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:36 AM PDT

    I've heard that that Intel abandoned the numbering after 486 because they couldn't trademark a number, so the first Pentiums I guess were 586? But is there anything relevant to those numbers - do they signify actual generational changes and if we where are we up to now?

    Fun history - my first PC was a 286. My first good and useful PC was a 486 DX4-100Mhz which could even play low bitrate MP3s so long as you didn't do anything else at the same time.

    submitted by /u/Fuzzy-Serve
    [link] [comments]

    Why does ColorSlurp need to record the contents of my screen?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:53 AM PDT

    My USB flash drive now has 30GB of storage from 100GB

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    I have a USB flash drive that i bought from AliExpress, it's $15 for 100GB, recently, i tried to copy 80GB into it, and as expected it failed midway (in around 20GB copying, speed went down to 0 until i cancelled), it's in FAT32 format. So i tried another method, by copying some files at a time, encountered some error saying that the file in the destination is corrupted, but i tried copying it again and no problem. By the time i copied the last batch, i left my pc running for the night copying the files while i went to bed. The next morning, i woke up to my surprise now that my flash drive is not only empty, but has its size reduced to 30GB as well. There are a lot of possibilities, but what would be the most likely cause for this?

    submitted by /u/Genvictus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment