• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 18, 2020

    Tech Support - Online meet-up for community service hindered by corona isolation

    Tech Support - Online meet-up for community service hindered by corona isolation


    Online meet-up for community service hindered by corona isolation

    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Hopefully this is the correct subreddit, I was struggling to work out where to post.

    I work for a service that runs community groups for people with anxiety, depression and just a range of social and mental health issues.

    Obviously, this isn't a great time for such a service, and we have had to stop all groups due to the current virus guidance. We do however still have a lot of members who are now far more socially isolated than they were and we are looking for a way to continue to hold our groups but in a virtual space.

    Our members range in age between 19-65+, and so have a range of experience with technology. Some will be fine using the internet, others we hope could use their phone and call in.

    Is there any obvious choices in software or website services which could help us? We just want the ability to host a group, and have our members either log in digitally or call in, so we can give them the social interaction they need and we can ofc justify our service still being funded.

    Any kind of streaming hosting which we could invite into would also be good, so we could do like some art classes and things where the members can see the host?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Sht_Hawk
    [link] [comments]

    Caller ID Spoofing for business (WFH uses)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    Trying to get things set up to work from home. What would be a way to make a call from my cell phone, but have it show up as my work number on someone's caller ID? Seems like spoofing is legal as long as you aren't doing it for nefarious reasons, just not sure the best way to go about it.

    We'd have 4 or 5 different people working from home needing to do this. We do have 4 different business lines and can use any/all of them.

    submitted by /u/alanblah
    [link] [comments]

    Bluetooth Issue

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:05 PM PDT

    I have never had this happen before.

    So I was messing with some old Bluetooth speakers I had and connecting them to my PC and I decided that I needed a computer restart so I did restart it. After a few hours I decide that I want to listen to some music. After my headphones did not automatically pair, I go to check the settings and the entire switch that turns the Bluetooth on and off is gone. I check all of the devices my computer was previously paired to and it just says "Bluetooth is turned off" in grey. I can no longer connect anything to my computer via Bluetooth despite using it a few hours earlier. In device manager, underneath Bluetooth, the "Bluetooth USB Module" has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.

    I tried restarting the computer, I tried troubleshooting it in the device managers, and I uninstalled/downloaded new Bluetooth drivers and nothing seems to work. The entire switch is gone and the Bluetooth functionality of my PC has been stripped.

    My PC is an AMD/Ryzen Acer Nitro 5 with Windows 10.

    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

    submitted by /u/Baclant
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop performance issues

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    This is perhaps the strangest problem I've come across in my entire goddamn life.

    I have an Asus X571 laptop, and because of its i9 processor and discrete 1660 GPU it chews battery like the cookie monster. Subsequently I have to have the thing plugged in half the time if I want to do any kind of extended work session.

    For some reason unbeknown to me, whenever the laptop is plugged in, performance will drop considerably every few minutes for about 10 to 15 seconds. Refresh rate goes down, applications become incredibly unresponsive, even basic tasks like typing this post become extremely tedious. It's as if the CPU is throttling hard periodically every few minutes, but the only thing I can see that even slightly relates to that is the 3D usage of the internal graphics unit skyrocketing at the same time performance drops. Before any of you ask, yes I have changed my GeForce settings to always priorities the discreet GPU with no results.

    Please help, apart from this one tiny problem, the laptop was an absolute bargain and I really want to make it work efficiently. I don't really care about the battery life on account of the ridiculous hardware inside it, I just want to be able to use it productively.

    Edit: Straight up disabled Intel graphics in device manager and it seems to have fixed the problem

    submitted by /u/Mof4z
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any sort of program that can go through all snapchat texts in a conversation and save them as a document?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    My girlfriend and I have been texting for about eight months on snapchat, but there is no way to search for texts like there is on regular iMessage. Is there any sort of program I can use that can convert our conversation to a document of some sort?

    submitted by /u/SalohcinReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Question Concerning Hidden Files in Compressed Folders.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:46 PM PDT

    Hi there! Long-time lurker concerned and finally reaching out! I recently acquired a compressed folder with some FLAC files and 2 pics, and I was skeptical of its integrity so I scanned with Windows defender. The scan came back clean, but there were only 15 files in the folder and it scanned 16.

    I had my show hidden files and folders tab checked, but the number was still off. I made a bonehead move and extracted anyways, believing it would appear after extraction.... Nope. It felt extremely weird.

    Could there have been a possible virus hidden? Regardless I backed up some stuff and started clearing out my laptop to factory settings within a half hour of the occurence, but I would love a bit of insight; I am a bit skeeved out by the idea someone had access to my information and/or cam and mic.

    Thank you all for your time and knowledge!

    submitted by /u/Lollipoop_Hacksaw
    [link] [comments]

    Can RSA token availability run out?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    According to my manager our company can not work from home during the Coronavirus pandemic because the world is running out of RSA tokens and they are on back order. Is there any truth to this?

    submitted by /u/soccermom222666
    [link] [comments]

    Game ping increases while connected to charger

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I've been noticing that my ping is actually around 15-25ms higher than it's supposed to be when connected to my charger. I play on my Lenovo legion y740 and I've checked all my battery settings and it shows max performance for everything. I tried using ookla speed test and ping remains same while charging and not charging, so its only happening in game. Also another thing I noticed is that when I alt-tab out of the game and then go back into the game the ping is initially, for like 2-3 seconds, around 50-60 and then increases to 75-85. So I'm assuming that 50-60 is the ping I'm actually supposed to get but for some weird reason the ping increases when I'm charging and in-game. Can someone please help me fix this, I couldn't find anything online after searching this issue. The game im referring to is r6 siege

    submitted by /u/FalconLuver
    [link] [comments]

    My old webcam can't be used for my PC

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    I used to have a webcam 5 years ago, until my PC crashed

    Now i get a new and i taste my webcam, my PC detect it as a webcam but neither the camera app nor the OBS let it works. Even Chrome detects it but it doesn't work.

    My PC has Windows 10 and the webcam is able to record voice, but not record video.

    I had updated every driver and camera app.

    About the camera:

    • It's a KODAK Dual Webcam D101
    • PC called it "Vimicro USB 2.0 PC Camera (Venus)"
    submitted by /u/NiMeVeas
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good platform for an Internet-based meetup?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:17 AM PDT

    I was wondering what platform would be good to hold a social event that would normally be held in person, like a networking happy hour or a book club meeting. I'm looking specifically for something that would be live and supports voice.

    I've been hearing about conferencing platforms like Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Discord, and video game environments like Second Life. I'm not really sure about the advantages or disadvantages of each one or what other platforms may be out there.

    submitted by /u/BubbaMetzia
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, I have an NFC question.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    Hi, do you remember skylanders. Well, I have the portal models from the first, third, and forth game. Is it possible to convert any one of these portals into nfc readers I can use to make amiibo cards to use for my switch games.

    submitted by /u/Red_Shell127
    [link] [comments]

    Microphone does not pickup video/audio playing from the phone during an ongoing call

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:04 AM PDT

    If I am on a google duo/whatsapp video/audio call (haven't tried on regular cellular call) and I play some music/video on my phone, the person on the other end can't hear the music/video but can still hear my voice. Since I am on speaker (so the phone microphone is being used for the call), how does the phone filter out the other music/video playing from the phone?

    submitted by /u/r0hhan
    [link] [comments]

    Need VERY-easy-to-use way to video chat with my senior mom in assisted living

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:10 AM PDT

    (Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to address any potential questions) Background: My mom is in assisted living in NY, in the same town as my sister. She had a bad stroke 6 1/2 years ago, and has been getting worse especially recently. The assisted living place provides limited assistance, even though we pay for extra care, so until recently an outside aide has come in 4 hours a day to help her. Recently, this has been increased to 10 hours a day. She was on a waiting list to go to another facility for more care and was about to move, but that has been put on hold due to the coronavirus. We just lost an aide, so we are now scrambling to keep an eye on her, esp since the facility is no longer allowing visitors, even family. We are in need of a video device where we can talk to her, see what she's doing, she can see us, and most importantly is simple to use. (I put this in bold to summarize what my request is) Ideally, we would leave it on for hours while she is alone so we could make sure she is okay.

    My mom used to have an iPad and a computer, and they were too complicated for her, even a couple of years ago when she was more "with it." Because of this, I'm positive she wouldn't be able to handle a smart phone, especially bc it is smaller than an ipad and she had trouble with an iPad touchscreen years ago. In my search, I see a Nest Hub with Google Assistant, but that looks like it doesn't have a camera so we couldn't see her, unless there's something we can add to it for a camera. I see there's also the Facebook Portal, and there's probably something from Amazon.

    In her AL facility, there is wi-fi, but it's not very good. My sister tried to set up a camera (maybe 2 years ago?), but had a problem because the wi-fi wasn't enough to handle it (not sure of details, sorry). So, I think ideally we're looking for something where my mom can say "Call <daughtersname>" and it will call my sister via video (or me, or whoever). Or we can call her and easily connect. Or we can just leave it on because she has fallen in the past and not pushed the button on her necklace for help. We also would like multiple cameras, so that we can see her if she is in her bedroom, her bathroom or her sitting room. We may also need something to boost the wi-fi. I'm pretty sure my sister can get in there to set this up, but it should be somewhat simple. I think that's everything. Thank you for all suggestions! I'm assuming others are in our situation, so I hope this helps others as well.

    submitted by /u/ukelele_pancakes
    [link] [comments]

    Connect to another IP from home ?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    Hi, I basically have two home (A and B) with internet connection and I would like to post under home A's IP when i'm at Home B. Do you know how I could set up something like this and how much it would cost ? I guess I would need a VPN ? Thanks

    submitted by /u/KobalaD
    [link] [comments]

    Program to automatically generate reports customized to each unique client (similar to paginated reports)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    My use-case is this:

    We serve many clients, and each of our clients have their own customers.

    We want to create a report for each client that consists of 1 page for each customer that they have, and this page shows them that customer's purchase history over time, etc).

    E.g. one of our clients has 10 customers. We want to give them a 10-page report that shows them info unique to each of the customers under them, to better help them monitor and make conclusions from their customers' behaviours.

    submitted by /u/Lostwhispers05
    [link] [comments]

    Is the OLED55B9PUA 10-bit or 12-bit?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    I have this tv and I LOVE it. I just cant figure out if it is 12bit or not. I'm totally geeking out over this thing, so if anyone knows other interesting info about the TV and its capabilities I would love to hear about it!

    submitted by /u/Buzzdanume
    [link] [comments]

    Is it true that Windows is more susceptible to virus/malware attacks than Linux systems? If so, why is that the case?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    Windows has a much bigger team (somewhere around 150,00 I think) than Linux does. Wouldn't it make sense that Windows would be more polished than Linux?

    submitted by /u/Temujin953
    [link] [comments]

    iPad Air 2 USB adapter? Looking to access files from a USB on an older iPad.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    I've got what I believe to be an iPad Air 2 from roughly 2016. I don't use it often. A friend recently gifted me a thumb drive with a few hard-to-find books on it, and this iPad is the only way for me to access them.

    I'm looking for some sort of hardware that would allow me to transfer the books from the thumb drive to my iPad. Any and all help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/_jerkalert_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment