• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 18, 2020

    Tech Support - My PC forces a restart every couple of hours. What's going on, and how can I stop it?

    Tech Support - My PC forces a restart every couple of hours. What's going on, and how can I stop it?


    My PC forces a restart every couple of hours. What's going on, and how can I stop it?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 03:45 AM PST

    Windows, running Windows 7. It's sort of old, maybe 9 years or so, but not used very often.

    The only time I can halt the auto restart is if a video is paused on a video player, but that won't last forever.

    Is there a fix for this? Maybe even a reformat? Or is it time to get a new PC?

    submitted by /u/qwertyqyle
    [link] [comments]

    Got a new phone, so many YouTube adds now. What happened?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:28 PM PST

    I went from a thinQ to a galaxy S10e

    Not sure if I had some sort of ad blocker or what but ads were pretty rare on YouTube before. But now it's like every video has multiple breaks for 1 of 2 ads. It's really annoying. Help?

    submitted by /u/lonely-day
    [link] [comments]

    Zipping files does barely anything, so why does it exist? Is there some use for it that I'm missing?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:43 AM PST

    Unless I'm mistaken, zipping files and folders with multiple files is supposed to reduce the overall file size to make it easier for transport to another medium right? I.e copy pasting to another storage device, or uploading to cloud storage right? Yet I just zipped a 430mb file and it reduced the size to 410mb and only reduced the upload time by like 2%.

    So if it's that ineffective. Why does it even exist?

    submitted by /u/ExMuslim662
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my iPhone record all shaky? I managed to record it.

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:23 PM PST

    0x000007b Error

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:37 PM PST

    Hello,

    I have been trying to get two games (Borderlands 2 and Borderlands Presequel) to run on my PC (Windows 10) for a long time now but I always get a 0xc000007b error. I feel like I've tried everything the internet has suggested (update windows, update .NET framwork, DirectX, Microsoft Visual C++, etc, run in admin mode, change compatability settings, update drivers, verify system corruption files, etc.) but nothing has worked. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, all my other games on my pc work fine, just not these two borderlands games. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

    submitted by /u/hyrte0010
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for AI companies that failed or went bankrupt, and companies that didn't pursue AI and failed because they didn't innovate

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:31 PM PST

    Any hints would be really be appreciated, but preferably well known companies. I'm looking for companies that specialize in AI and failed because they didn't implement the tech properly, companies that implemented the tech properly but still failed for whatever reason, and companies that failed because they didn't even attempt to implement AI.

    submitted by /u/VB1996
    [link] [comments]

    USB c hub that can power more than one bus-powered drives at the same time

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:10 PM PST

    I'm looking to upgrade the current USB C hub from Aukey. There are two problems with it that bothers me. 1 is that it doesn't have an ethernet port and the other is that if I connect more than 1 bus-powered external HDDs at the same time the performance begins to drop. This prompted me to look online for some answers and the one I found out is that the USB-A ports on the hub are underpowered and cannot handle 2 HDDs at once which brings me to my questions.

    1. How much power is needed to run a bus-powered USB 3.0 external HDD?
    2. How much power can a USB C/Thunderbolt 3 port on a MacBook Pro 2018 output?
    3. Would getting a USB C hub that is powered by 2 USB C ports satisfy the power requirements that I'm looking for?
    4. Can you recommend some hubs that have ethernet, HDMI, more than 1 USB A 3.0 port and can support 2 bus-powered external HDDs at the same time?
    submitted by /u/noxuotan
    [link] [comments]

    CCTV disabled by UV and lasers?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 09:51 PM PST

    I've had a ring door bell for a long time now, and I want to add the ring CCTV cameras but I've been reading that criminals can disable the cameras with lasers or UV long range lights.

    Would it be best to use some covert CCTV, could I add extra protection to stop them being affected by lasers, UV etc?

    I would like something almost indestructible for peace of mind.

    submitted by /u/----------_____
    [link] [comments]

    Overcharging Electronic Devices

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:51 PM PST

    I heard a rumor in my youth that it was better for your devices to never turn them off as it would diminish their life to turn them back on. However, I've also heard that charging these devices overnight can kill their longevity. What is the right answer? How do I guarantee the most longevity for my electronic devices?

    submitted by /u/TarapeneCarolina
    [link] [comments]

    Are they any smart home devices that don't spy on you?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:29 PM PST

    I don't hate the idea of smart home stuff, I just am weary after all the stuff that has come out against Alexa / Home!

    There has to be a privacy-focused company making these devices right? Any one got any recommendations? Thanks everyone :)

    submitted by /u/wheredoestaxgo
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a program that limits mic recording over a certain level or provides some sort of visual feedback any advice?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 05:33 PM PST

    My kids yell a lot on voice chat, there is no issue hearing them normally but they get overexcited with their friends. I'd like to give them some sort of feedback method so they were more aware of it, any ideas?

    submitted by /u/lurch65
    [link] [comments]

    Couple IT questions

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 04:06 PM PST

    • Maximum number of partitions on a hard drive that's configured with master boot record?
    • Understand the difference for hardware requirements for servers vs clients? How to specify path with spaces in it (command line) Default address lease time is?
    submitted by /u/dvseq4
    [link] [comments]

    What is the process that occurs when mapping keys in a peripheral USB devices like a mouse/keyboard?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:35 PM PST

    What I know from being an end user:

    1. I interact with the GUI to decide the command that I want in each key
    2. I save that configuration
    3. *MAGIC!*The device is now programmed

    I want to understand the technicalities of what happens in the background (the MAGIC part). Does the user interact with a GUI to choose the function of each key and then the software modifies the driver of the target device?

    What is necessary for this to replicated?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/FawkesTheOutlaw
    [link] [comments]

    Does using a magnetic charger nub discharge a device's battery faster?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:01 AM PST

    Essentially I'm wondering if these devices can make your iPhone, puffco, etc device drain the battery faster.

    I started using one for my puffco, leaving the nub in the device and only connecting power when needed. Does this little nub discharge the battery somehow? I'm not very tech-savvy, should I post this in a different subreddit?

    This is an example of the chargers in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RHVNFQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    submitted by /u/DankestTaco
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explaim how gps geolocation works on websites?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:34 AM PST

    So if I allow a website to acess my location, do they have a map pinpointing directly where I am? Or is it a general location with cordinates for ads?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Greeen31
    [link] [comments]

    Combined audio jack issues, inconsistency - Lenovo Thinkpad

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:04 AM PST

    To make long story short, here's the deal. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 laptop and it has a combined 3.5mm audio jack, meaning it has only one port for both the output and input. You can plug regular phone earbuds with microphone just fine and use both earphones and mic.

    Here's the problem. I have a cable that splits combined jack to separate mic and speaker connectors. Say I want to use regular earbuds for output audio only, and for input to use a different mic. This doesn't seem to work, or works very inconsistently, so sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes it would work if I were to plug in first earbuds, then mic, sometimes not even that works no matter in which order I plug it in.

    Another thing, on my old laptop that had separate connectors, I could open Control Panel - Sounds and have it recognize when I plug something in. I'd plug in a microphone and I would get a new item under Recording tab that would represent a microphone I just plugged in. Pretty logical, right?
    That doesn't happen on Thinkpad, nothing changes there no matter what I plug in, it just says Microphone and switches actual audio input as it pleases, seemingly random.

    In another words, I can't have headphones plugged in and have my laptop ignore them and play music through internal speakers. I don't have that option in settings or control panel.

    Is this a software issue, possibly wrong drivers (all my drivers are up to date) or a hardware restriction so I can't do anything about it?

    submitted by /u/ActiveBasis
    [link] [comments]

    Andy advice?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:50 AM PST

    Can anyone recommend any resources to help me become more computer savvy?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:51 AM PST

    Hey all. I'm looking for things to get introduced to the IT world in general. I currently work as a helicopter mechanic, and it's cool and all and a great career, but I just don't see myself doing it forever. I don't have an IT background, but I've developed an interest in getting into it. I'm considering a change in my career and have an upcoming opportunity to try my hand at an IT position. I will get training for it of course, but I'd like to learn a little more about what I would be getting into. I'm looking for anything, subreddits, books, YouTube videos, ect. Currently my only resource I really have is a brother and close friend who are working in the field. Also anyone's frame of reference, advice, day to day info is welcome!

    submitted by /u/Somesuds
    [link] [comments]

    Now that most phones are button-less, is it possible to put Android on and iPhone or iOS on and Android phone?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:31 AM PST

    HDMI Switch Box Over-saturation Problem

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:15 AM PST

    Recently, I purchased an HDMI switch box, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076XWNQP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and have noticed it blows out the colors on a few of my game consoles, particularly on my PS4 and Nintendo Switch. All of my consoles are set to limited range in display settings, yet the picture remains noticeably overly saturated as opposed to just plugging them directly to my TV. Any ideas? Thinking about returning that switcher if I can't resolve this issue, so any help or tips are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheFlippedSides
    [link] [comments]

    Can an battery case phone kill a wireless charger

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:13 AM PST

    I put my galaxy s7 with an battery case on a wireless charger and it didn't charge the phone. I guessed it wouldn't work. After that the station stopped working at all. It has an iwatch charger that still works. Plug and cable are okay.

    submitted by /u/Malkav1806
    [link] [comments]

    Does using plugging a laptop on a extension shared with an air-conditioning unit safe?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 05:36 AM PST

    Because the other wall plugs on my room doesn't work I have to use one, my laptop and ac share one extension cord. Will it cause damage on my laptop?

    currently using Acer Nitro 5.

    submitted by /u/AdiSaints
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment