• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 11, 2020

    Tech Support - Accidentally Clicked on a Dangerous Link

    Tech Support - Accidentally Clicked on a Dangerous Link


    Accidentally Clicked on a Dangerous Link

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 12:54 AM PST

    Hello! I was wondering if someone could help me understand whether I am in trouble or not. I got a text message saying that some package was on the way (but I never ordered anything). I clicked a URL it brought two times: once using my laptop, and another using my iPhone. When I tried to access the site on my laptop, the page did not seem to connect. However, when I clicked the URL using my iPhone, Google Chrome let me know that the page was dangerous and it asked me to proceed or to go back. I immediately closed the tab. I was later informed by a friend that often these links are used to steal information and possibly money.

    Am I in trouble? Did I screw up just by even clicking the link?

    I appreciate anyone's help! Have a good day!

    submitted by /u/brohowareyou
    [link] [comments]

    Remote desktop software choice

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 01:37 AM PST

    Recently, my dad passed away. He allowed both him and my mother to keep in touch with their children and grandchildren over Skype and Zoom. My mother is totally computer illiterate. There's no longer the usual family chat by means of a videocall. In order to keep her connected with her grandchildren, I want to buy a PC for my mum but I need to be able to be in full remote control of the computer to help her establishing the connection. Anyone has an idea what the best remote desktop software is? All my mother should do is swith the computer on and off. I want to avoid Teamviewer because of the restrictions and I'm looking for freeware.

    submitted by /u/lex_tok
    [link] [comments]

    How do school computers work?

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 04:09 AM PST

    I was wondering if anyone could explain (or even just give me some words to google) the setup involved in typical school computer labs. Where you have a number of PCs all on the same network and you can sit down at any one of them and log in to your account. Like, are the computers just acting as thin clients to a server tucked away in some closet out of sight, or are all your files stored on a specific machine that's in the room and you're basically just remoting into it when you log in? Or is it some kind of load-balancing setup that's even more complicated than that?

    Basically what I'm after is: 1. What are these kinds of arbitrary log-in setups even called?

    1. When you run a program, where is the actual work being done?

    2. How do file systems work in these setups?

    submitted by /u/DrDetectiveEsq
    [link] [comments]

    I want to present from my phone. Is this possible?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 10:08 PM PST

    So I was thinking if I had a USB-C to VGA/HDMI converter I could just rock up and present Google slides off my phone. Is this possible? The projectors have no wireless capacity.

    Does anyone know a "clicker" presentation tool that will connect to my phone via Bluetooth so I don't have to hold my phone?

    I want to avoid lugging a laptop around.

    submitted by /u/Poison1990
    [link] [comments]

    Weird battery problem on Lenovo laptop

    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 12:29 AM PST

    I have a Lenevo g50-70 with an upgraded 16 gigabytes of ram and a 500 gigabyte ssd. I play a few games on it but the problem is that the battery drains out when I play even when it's plugged in. Sometimes it drains really quickly and sometimes it take a few hours. I tried removing the battery and using the laptop while plugged in but it shuts off randomly. Sometimes resetting the power options to default helps and sometimes switching between best preformance and best battery modes help too. If anyone knows what is the cause of this or how to resolve it it would be great. Thanks

    submitted by /u/OmegaIsntavailable
    [link] [comments]

    What does "dependancies" mean in this context?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:14 AM PST

    I need to write a bachelor thesis about this the topic of connected driving,

    however i dont understand what this sentence means:

    What are dependencies between vehicles, infrastructure and communication variants)?

    What do they mean by dependencies? can someone clarify this sentence?

    submitted by /u/electronickek
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with my router (loud fan, I think)

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 11:27 PM PST

    Alright, so I have a few issues, so I'll try to be concise, but ask if you need to do more. I may end up just buying a new one but I want to explore all my options.

    First of all I was using a the Cox issued modem/router (Technicolor CGM4141) because Cox kinda forced it on me. It works well, so if I need to get an equivalent something along those lines would be good. I first had it installed and after a while I noticed a slight hum. It's constant and while it's super loud, it's drowned out by AC or the fridge. But unlike them it's constant, and it's not super quiet by any means, sometimes I still hear it with the TV on.

    It was annoying enough that I went in to a Cox store to replace it. I thought it was an issue with the particular one I had. Now, some people seem to have had issues, here and here, but the fact others claimed them to be quiet made me feel I was given one that was out the ordinary. But here's the thing, the new one I just got has the same problem.

    So I've realized the issue is likely either because it's overheating in my apartment or I'm just sensitive to the sound like the others who made the made the complaints and some people don't. Now, even though I'm in a hot climate, I doubt it's too hot. I've placed up on a shelf, down on the floor in various positions and it seems pretty constant. But please let me if there's anything left to try. I can't move it because they drilled a hole for the physical cable and somehow there are no coax outlets where I could move it.

    Now I could replace it again, it was very easy, they were very nice, and it didn't cost anything. So maybe the third time's the charm. But if it's an issue with the router model, not just the one I have, then I think I need a new one. Is there anything else I can try? If not suggestions are appreciated. I know cox has their recommendations but still curious to hear.

    One last thing to anyone who has experience with Cox, they stuck me with their new Contour Stream Player, which is fine. But when I connect it I don't just enter a password like most devices, it finds the router and connects automatically. If I get my own router can I still do that? If not, I suppose I can return all the equipment and get another roku or firestick or chromecast or any number of other streaming options. The Contour player isn't that great anyway and the only upside is adding live stuff I guess. Again, if you have any experiences let me know.

    submitted by /u/HAL__Over__9000
    [link] [comments]

    Can my iPhone flashlight damage my lcd?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 11:27 PM PST

    I was cleaning my screen and used my iPhone to light up the screen and see the dust on it. Can my lcd screen be damaged when shinning it like 20 seconds? I got a Sony 4K full Array

    submitted by /u/alejojmnz
    [link] [comments]

    Can my employer see my location?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 02:02 PM PST

    I connect to a VPN on a computer owned by my company. Can they see my location? They aren't letting me travel home for the holidays even though we are all working remotely. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/CrumblyCrawdad
    [link] [comments]

    Can i use a set peripherals for both desktop and laptop to one USB hub.

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:22 PM PST

    So i have a work laptop and PC. I want to use just one set of Bluetooth mouse, wired keyboard and webcam for both the devices. Can i use a USB hub to connect them together. Can i pull this of? If not is there any way i can do that?

    submitted by /u/Deltamystic
    [link] [comments]

    Bluetooth stopped working on Laptop?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 03:38 PM PST

    I have a macbook pro and recently my display broke so I brought my laptop in to be repaired. The screen is now working fine, but for some reason no matter what I do I cannot connect my AirPods (or any other bluetooth device) to my laptop. I have tried every online suggestion and nothing has worked. My airpods work perfectly fine for my phone, but then cannot connect to my laptop. Is there some sort of internal hardware that may have been damaged while my screen was being repaired? I cannot see any other reason why the bluetooth would just randomly stop working.

    submitted by /u/PUsmntLISIC
    [link] [comments]

    What 17" laptop would you recommend me that has a i7 chip, 32G of RAM, and SSD hard-drive?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 03:04 PM PST

    I was told not to buy a HP, because they're not good at thermal regulation. What PC would you recommend for me? I use my PC primarily for internet, YouTube, MS Excel, MS Word, and listen to some music.

    I'm against bloatware.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/tnk9241
    [link] [comments]

    will my laptop run 4k movies?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 01:16 PM PST

    my laptop specs are :

    ryzen 7 3750H 2.30GHz up to 4.0

    GTX 1660TI 6GB Max-Q

    16 RAM

    i know that my laptop's screen doesn't supports 4k but what IF i connected my laptop with my 4k tv? will it run 4k movies? thank u

    submitted by /u/bayokon
    [link] [comments]

    Is 2048x1080 2k?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 01:08 PM PST

    4k is and 4096x2160, so wouldn't that make 2k half of 4k?

    If so, then what is 1080p? 720p?

    submitted by /u/I_Arkaneos_I
    [link] [comments]

    I need to know what the thin shrink wrap that is used on batteries is called

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 11:41 AM PST

    I need the specific name so I can get some for small cell batteries to connect 3 in series.

    submitted by /u/Vladius2429
    [link] [comments]

    how common are meltdown and inspectre

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 09:33 AM PST

    so i have old i3 chip that i cant upgrade bc no supported bios update even tho socket supports an i7 one

    i disabled meltdown/inspectre patches that were known to slow down older cpus by ~30%

    i heard most browsers especially chromium patched these things anyways so how vulnerable am i

    imo applications being able to directly access all other application's computer resources seems like a good thing to me as long as you don't install a virus, for like doing shit w Cheat Engine etc, i like to be able to do anything w the machine i payed for, the only scary things I heard abt with those patches were things like certain javascript optimizations (mostly removed now) also being vulnerable

    submitted by /u/xTynini
    [link] [comments]

    Internet is acting weird

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 08:12 AM PST

    So the internet works on some devices perfectly fine but not all. My pc, phone and playstation cant seem to connect to the internet and when they do manage to, they don't have wifi available. I have turned off the router and turned it back on but that didn't help. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/shotgungrenade
    [link] [comments]

    How do HDDs and SSDs actually work?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:42 AM PST

    Hi there,

    I am studying for my CompTIA A+ as an IT apprentice, and this is my first foray into the world of IT.

    However, I still don't understand how the storage drives work. I understand that there is magnetic technology etc. But I don't understand how that becomes a file you can use.

    P.s If this is the wrong place to ask the question please forgive me as I am new to reddit. Tell me where would be more appropriate and I will ask it there.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/it-n00b-1
    [link] [comments]

    Multimonitor lapto setup

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:35 AM PST

    I have an hp elitebook 830 g5 with a thunderbolt port and an hdmi port. I also have two monitors available. Would I be able to use tb3 and hdmi for a dual monitor (excluding laptop monitor)?

    submitted by /u/sage_k_7
    [link] [comments]

    Can integrated memory be dual channel?

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 07:05 AM PST

    Simple question but i can't find any info online.

    submitted by /u/Jockerplus
    [link] [comments]

    Router location question

    Posted: 10 Nov 2020 05:30 AM PST

    Would it be a bad idea to place my router on top of my receiver (or should I locate it near/below the TV)? I clearly don't want to impact the router effectiveness but am having trouble figuring out where things should be best located for effectiveness. thanks in advance for any tips/help here

    submitted by /u/ABobby077
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment