• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 12, 2020

    Tech Support - How and how much do they know?

    Tech Support - How and how much do they know?


    How and how much do they know?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 05:00 PM PST

    Hi all. A while ago I downloaded a video game via torrent (not doing it again). Long story short, I got mails from the owners of the game basically telling me to delete the video game or otherwise someone will cut my access to the Internet. I deleted the game, but I forgot to delete the rar-file of the game. I kept getting these mails and I decided to call them to ask why I'm still getting these mails. The guy told me that I have to delete the rar-file of the game, and he could precisely tell in which folder on my computer that file was located . The video game was Age of Empires II (I actually bought it now).

    My question is how do they know this? Do they have access to all of my files on the computer? Or can they just tell where that torrent file is, even though it's not technically owned by them? I was really surprised that he could tell at which folder on my computer that rar-file I downloaded from the torrent website was.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Slimus_Shadus
    [link] [comments]

    Better overall RAM Performance - 16GB 2400mhz or 24GB 2133mhz

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 04:10 AM PST

    I recently purchased 16GB ram with 2400mhz so I could upgrade my laptop which had an 8 GB with only 2133mhz. Now my system is maxed at 24GB ram with 2133mhz. but if I remove the 8GB ram it leaves my system with a 16GB 2400mhz system.

    So my question is which would give me a better performance - the 16GB 2400mhz system or a 24GB 2133mhz system.

    Please give some suggestions guy...

    submitted by /u/thefredyjacob
    [link] [comments]

    How can I set a daily WiFi cap?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 11:50 PM PST

    I have a monthly data cap of 200GB and would like to set a daily cap of around 6GB so that the limit doesn't get exceeded at the end of month. My router has DDWRT installed. Is there a way to set a daily limit on DDWRT?

    submitted by /u/marshallow
    [link] [comments]

    Projector issue

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 02:02 PM PST

    I have a Mitsubishi HC4000 and occasionally this happens while using it, any recommendations on how to fix this or what is causing this?

    https://imgur.com/a/acSctyC

    If anyone has a suggestion for a different sub to post this to I will do that

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Hiimpat
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a website where I can find, for example, a purple version of a pink hex color?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 11:55 PM PST

    I know of some hex color websites but they are mostly for different hex colors that compliment each other, OR are SIMILAR, BUT are in the same color family. What I am looking for specifically is a website where you can plug in a certain hex color and be presented with the purple, blue, etc version of it, if it is, say, pink. Or if it is in the blue family, you can ask for the green, purple, etc version of that exact blue hex, or if it's a beige or yellow hex, you can find the grey version of that particular beige or yellow hex

    submitted by /u/redditsagrandoltime
    [link] [comments]

    No service till making call

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:14 PM PST

    Issue: My cellphone displays no service (and my texts don't send) but when I make a call it shows full bars and the call goes through. But I can't receive any calls. Also all of my texts will send and I will receive any incoming texts as I'm on a call. To be clear, I can make calls and I my indicator shows full bars, but then it goes back to no service after. This has been going on for about a week and it doesn't work in multiple locations.

    Phone: Galaxy S10 Carrier: Family Mobile (t mobile network)

    Attempted fixes: -restart -hard restart -airplane mode cycling -reset network settings -reinsert SIM card -Manually (and auto) Select a Carrier -Check for Void or Corrupt ESN -restart phone in safemode -update software -clear cache -contact Samsung -toggle wifi calling -turn off WiFi and Bluetooth

    My logic is it is a phone software issue that doesnt have to do with a third party app due to my tests above not modifying it. Let me know if I'm off with this. I'm going to the Samsung store tomorrow for an appointment but any help would really be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TitillatingTrilobite
    [link] [comments]

    I corrupted my USB Stick!!!!

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:00 PM PST

    I have a Usb that got messed up when I was copying something. It makes the windows noise when I plug it into my Computer [Windows10]. In 'This PC' it shows the drive but is partially transparent. When I left click on it it says " Please insert disk into usb port". Then when I right click and press format it says "No drive in drive _ Please insert disk" . It Also shows up in device manager with the usb factory name. How can I fix this? (there is no data I need on the usb so no need for a data recovery)

    submitted by /u/Bart_Joe69
    [link] [comments]

    Sinclair 128k zx spectrum+2 help

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 01:28 PM PST

    I have this old Sinclair game console/ computer, which looks in great condition however I don't have a power cable for it, does anyone know where to get one online or is it even worth getting one. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

    submitted by /u/IRISHKN1GHT
    [link] [comments]

    “Thats an error” message from google

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:46 PM PST

    For the past few months i keep getting this message everytime i click on a link (see next post for screenshot)

    Why?

    submitted by /u/loodish1
    [link] [comments]

    Is my phone hacked?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:40 PM PST

    My phone has been acting weird for the past few weeks. One thing I noticed is that my ip adress says connected to dsl. Why is my phone connected to a digital subscriber line (dsl) rather than cellular data?

    submitted by /u/hobbittman
    [link] [comments]

    What's my best option to play laptop video files on smart TV

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:39 PM PST

    2GB file.

    1. Laptop to TV with HDMI . Don't have any way to pause footage (wire not long enough / no wireless keyboard). Also maybe screensavers.
    2. Xbox One - Create a home network - doesn't work half the time.
    3. Cast to TV via Windows Movie Player (Laggy, and errors)
    4. Chromecast - probably not possible.
    5. Plug in USB into smart tv (not sure if TV Has this capability but about to check!)
    6. Your expertise.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/bikies
    [link] [comments]

    Horrible school internet

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:40 PM PST

    I go to a maritime academy in the US. Their purpose is to train us to work complexes machines and understand some really intense content in regards to engineering and shipping. A sophomore engineering student can have upwards of 5hrs of homework a night, most of which being online. However, the internet at the academy is beyond horrible. In my dorm, we get less than 1 mbps download, and about half of that for upload. It makes doing anything on the internet impossible at best. Everyone that I know of has gone to the housing staff and IT support for help, and they have said for over a year now that they are fixing it, but nothing has changed. Is there anything that can be done to force their compliance and give us access to the internet? Or, is there some way the voices of the students can be heard louder by those who have ignored them?

    Edit: for some context, for me to upload this post here, it took about three minutes for the text box to load, and over ten for the post to be added

    submitted by /u/Dhepburn634
    [link] [comments]

    File sizes of drivers

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 07:58 PM PST

    I was wondering why the file sizes of a driver for a specific piece of hardware vary greatly depending on their age. It would logically make sense that the file sizes would stay similar in size or get larger as features are added.

    I must be misunderstanding something. Take my motherboard and the audio drivers for example. Go to here to take a look (https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/).

    Ex: For my motherboard the audio drivers from 2017/06/15 is 466.17 MBytes and then for 2019/07/09 the file size is 51.93 MBytes.

    By reading the info I can tell that the contents are slightly different and the new driver doesn't have a version number on it, why is this? Also, if I install the newest version for all of the drivers, will this mean that I have the "best" drivers.

    submitted by /u/IHateWhenYouRunOutOf
    [link] [comments]

    Transparent LCD panel that only displays black?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:10 PM PST

    Does such a product exist? I tried dismantling an old LCD panel but the polarizers block too much light. The closest thing I can find are light apertures that flip the polarizers to block light coming through, which is basically what I need but something I could send a video signal to. Having trouble googling such a product.

    submitted by /u/Lemm0ns
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading ROG laptop

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 03:32 PM PST

    I have an Asus G74Sx ROG 17.3 inch laptop

    My mother board is starting to go out. Are the newer motherboards compatible with this older style laptop? I purchased it about 10 years ago.

    Also I was looking to upgrade my Graphics card and RAM. Any suggestions?

    My computer has server me well for 10 years, but it is now on the lower end of game requirements.

    Current specs:

    Intel Core i7 2630QM 2GHz

    8GB of RAM

    Nvidia GeForce GTX 560m 2GB

    submitted by /u/TaglarTorc
    [link] [comments]

    When is a Hub better than a Switch

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 06:29 PM PST

    im really new at networking and as far as i understood switches are far more better than swiches . So why and when would you ever use a hub over a swich ? (monetary reasons not included)

    submitted by /u/debrewmasta
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to use the Jamaican mobile internet network when I am on Guadeloupe?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:51 AM PST

    So my phone network operator wants me to pay 60€ because they claim that I used the Jamaican mobile internet roaming while I was on Guadeloupe. Is this even possible? I mean, Jamaica is so far away from Guadeloupe!

    And they also didn't send me a notification that I am now using a new network, which is normally standard when I visit another country and my phone switches to another net. Are they trying to scam me or do the have legal ground and I should hate my phone now because it switched the net without me noticing?

    Edit: I'm from Germany and we can use the mobile internet from nearly every other EU country without paying extra fees. I even checked beforehand on my phone network operator's website if Guadeloupe really counts as France so don't have to pay extra. So Jamaica was never on my mind....

    submitted by /u/theMiezmiez
    [link] [comments]

    best way to stream from HDD to TV with no computer

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 10:31 AM PST

    I don't have a computer. I'm trying to find the easiest way to stream movies/tv shows I've downloaded, but I need to download them to a HDD as my phone has limited space, obviously. I was considering an otg cable and streaming to my Chromecast but my phones battery won't handle that. so I was wondering if there is an external 1TB HDD I can download things to from my phone, and either stream to my tv or connect right to it? is that my best option?

    submitted by /u/chy50n
    [link] [comments]

    Would a single Raspberry Pi 4 be powerful enough to replace the IT of an 1980s bank or insurance company?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 07:15 AM PST

    (If another subreddit is a better place for this kind of questions then please tell me. Thanks)

    Let's say that because of some time travel shenanigans a mid sized bank or insurance company in the mid 80s lost their computer rooms full of unix machines but ended up with a single Raspberry Pi 4 (with some fast sd cards and maybe an external ssd) and a team of very good engineers who know both the Pi and the old system that was lost.

    Would the Pi4 theoretical be powerful enought to replace the whole company IT, or if not then what part would be the limiting factor (cpu, io, memory...)?

    submitted by /u/rmweiss
    [link] [comments]

    No signal on monitor when pc is plugged in

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 12:25 PM PST

    I just built a pc and the lights are Turing on and the fans are too but it just says no signal on my monitor I have tried removing my graphics card and turn it on same thing happened tried moving ram to a different slot same thing removed the cables connected to the motherboard and reconnected them did the same thing I used the HDMI cable on a different tv with my Apple TV and it worked and I connected my ps4 to my monitor and it turned on with a picture on it of the login screen so I don't know what is wrong

    submitted by /u/CreepyGamlng123
    [link] [comments]

    Which device combos or hybrids would you like to have?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 11:39 AM PST

    Selling a Dead Mac

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:21 AM PST

    Around 6 months ago, my sister purchased a Mac used from ebay. Sadly, the Mac straight up died and we couldn't figure anything out to fix it.

    So, I plan on selling it for parts on eBay or something, but all of her information is still on the computer. I thought about taking the SSD out and putting in my Mac in order to reset it, but I'm not sure if that would work.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Alphaem_00
    [link] [comments]

    VPN Recommendations?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:06 AM PST

    A decent free (Android) VPN anyone? I'm poor so I can't pay my phone (call/text/data) bill this month, that's aight since most places in town have public wifi and wifi calling apps exist. Public wifi isn't always safe though, which is why I'm asking. r/VPNs doesn't allow this question which is why I'm here btw.

    submitted by /u/1001011110
    [link] [comments]

    Does Sedo MLS premium not support namecheap?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:51 AM PST

    I can't browse their site with my iPhone to know.

    submitted by /u/WhatTheUpIsUp
    [link] [comments]

    Distant remote control of smart TV

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:23 AM PST

    I have what I think is a good tech question that may help others who have aging parents. My father lives in a care facility 1500 miles away from me and no longer has the physical ability to control his smart TV. He is connected to cable and wireless internet and has an Alexa and a Roku. I'm hoping that there's a way to combine the technology to allow me to tune something in for him from where I live. I can control his Alexa device from my phone or online to play music and podcasts (Spotify, NPR, etc). Ideally, I'd like to be able to fully control all the smart features on his TV so I could play Netflix and other online apps, but I'd settle for just being able to tune in a channel for him. FireTV maybe? Any ideas would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jbmtnman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment