• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 16, 2020

    Tech Support - How do I get faster wi-fi speed on 5GHz than 2.4GHz despite my wired speed only being 200Mbps?

    Tech Support - How do I get faster wi-fi speed on 5GHz than 2.4GHz despite my wired speed only being 200Mbps?


    How do I get faster wi-fi speed on 5GHz than 2.4GHz despite my wired speed only being 200Mbps?

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 01:56 AM PST

    I was curious as to why I get faster speeds on 5GHz than 2.4GHz despite being, I want to say, roughly 50 feet from the router and having maybe three walls or so between me and the router.

    My router's the Archer C9, which does have great coverage, range and reliability (I don't mean to shill the router at all, just providing the model in case specs might help), and it offers beamforming, so this could override the theoretical benefits that 2.4GHz could have in terms of wall penetration, but after doing speed tests, I'm getting 70Mbps on 5GHz and roughly 12Mbps on 2.4GHz.

    I don't know if 50 feet and 3 walls are significant obstructions for a wifi signal, but I was definitely surprised that there was such a big speed difference since 200Mbps doesn't come close to maxing out the theoretical max throughput of each frequency of the dual-band router.

    submitted by /u/acynicalasian
    [link] [comments]

    The staff at a mental health treatment facility disabled my camera when I was admitted. Can anyone explain this to me?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:01 PM PST

    Hey! When I was like 16 I was in a mental health treatment facility for just like 2 weeks. When I was admitted, they said I'd be allowed to have my phone to listen to music (I don't remember if they had a rule about using the Internet/texting but the area of the facility had really crappy cell service so that was kind of irrelevant anyway) but the one condition was I had to hand over my cell phone to the staff before I was admitted so they could disable my camera. After I got it back, I remember going into my settings to figure out how the heck they did this and if there was even a way to undo it myself, just because I was curious. I literally couldn't find anything. Despite numerous google searches I've come up empty handed and it's kind of just dumbfounded me for years.

    Additionally: the year this took place was 2017 (not sure what iOS that would be) and I had an iPhone 7 Plus Edit: they said the reason the camera needed to be disabled was because it could cause a HIPAA/patient privacy violation

    submitted by /u/thecalliecocat
    [link] [comments]

    Can I save the unutilized internet data and use it later even after expiry of the data validity?

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 04:00 AM PST

    For example, I get 1500gb from my Wi-Fi company for a month. And let's say I have used 1000 GB and the rest of 500gb expires today.. And I wish to extract it (idk how) from the router and save it somewhere and use it later.. Is it possible without the data cumulative option from my Wi-Fi company?

    submitted by /u/Rossatron1995
    [link] [comments]

    How to password protect MiFi Jetpack? How to keep employees from burning up our data plan?

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 02:44 AM PST

    Employees are burning up data our "unlimited" data plan and unable to send reports (depending on traffic / signal).

    I have two remote sites equipped with mobile offices. Each has a laptop and a Verizon Jetpack. These are used to update day-shift / night-shift reports every 12 hours.

    I would like to lock the jetpack so that only the laptop can access it's service. Further, I would like the laptop to only be able to access gMail, Dropbox, and a handful of other sites. Alternatively, I would like to eliminate the laptop's capacity to stream content.

    Employees are tethering to our hotspots with their own devices and using up the data plan. They are also using the company laptop (presumably; I haven't checked browser history) to stream movies and such.

    [Our occupation involves a great deal of standby; I don't mind at all that they watch movies. I mind that they burn up our data and cannot send in their reports halfway through the billing cycle; for watching movies, they can bring a hard drive pre-loaded with all the movies they like and even watch them on the company machine, for all I care.]

    I am sure I could "just google" all this. But I am busy and would prefer a wetware-curated download, ideally from someone who has tested this in both silicon and meat-space. Gracias, fellow kids.

    Side Note: Correct answers will be given naming rights to my Second Born child. [I already gave away first born's naming rights in r/excel.]

    TL;DR:

    Problem 1 — Password Protect Jetpack so that only admins can access its service.

    Problem 2 — Block certain domains on the company laptop so that the laptop cannot be used to burn up the data plan.

    submitted by /u/CallEmAsISeeEm1986
    [link] [comments]

    Any major differences between macbook air late 2018 model and the 2019 model?

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 12:35 AM PST

    I'm a student and i've decided to take the plunge and buy a macbook air. I can get a refurbished macbook air late 2018 model for £787.99 or a refurbished 2019 model for £929.99. Whicj one should i choose?

    submitted by /u/WaitImTonyHawk
    [link] [comments]

    IRL speed of USB-C vs Thunderbolt 3 on 5400RPM drive

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:25 PM PST

    Hey, i'm just about to buy a LaCie 5TB Mobile Drive USB 3.1 Type-C Portable Hard Drive. There is a UBS-C version or for $50 AUD more it comes with thunderbolt 3.0

    I'm wondering if the thunderbolt 3.0 would make any speed difference IRL? because the HD itself has a 5400RPM which would limit the speed anyway?

    Can someone with a bit more technical clarity than me confirm this?

    I'm going for more affordable backup/storage space, rather than speed with this particular drive. Otherwise i'd be on SSD obviously.

    I havent bought an external HD in years, so not sure if there's been some kind of miraculous new gen advance that means the RPM is not as limiting to speed as it appears? because i find it weird we're in 2020 and the option in this catagery of portable HD seem to be either slow 5400RPm or SSD, when 7200RPM has been available forever and could surely be the default speed for spinning drives?

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/ccccrushhhh
    [link] [comments]

    How good/powerful is AMD Ryzen 7 3700U compared to Intel i5/i7 processors?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:53 AM PST

    I'm looking for a new laptop and juggling between a few models. Right now I bumped into a potential one with the aforementioned processor, but I have no clue as to how good it is. I tried to look up a few comparisons between i7 and R7 but I just don't understand half of the stats that they are comparing. So if someone could give an idea of just how powerful/good a processor like that would be, I'd be grateful. I'll put some stats below.

    AMD Ryzen 7 3700U

    Clockspeed 2.3GHz

    Turbo speed 4.0 GHz

    Number of cores 4 (2 logical cores per physical) (don't know what that means)

    TDP Down:12 W

    TDP Up: 35 W

    Typical TDP:15 W

    (don't know what is TDP)

    Average CPU Mark: 7981

    submitted by /u/skinner17
    [link] [comments]

    Interview Request: What is Advanced Modern C++?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:55 AM PST

    I have received an interview request for an aerospace company and this is the job description:

    Software Engineer

    Advanced skills in modern C++ and Embedded Linux development

    Including collaborative development with the use of unit testing & OO practices

    Experience in Python (or scripting languages)

    Experience in an avionics/aerospace domain environment. Including requirements & design in DO-178

    We're looking for more full stack development because we're right in the middle of coding & integration on lower DAL projects

    Not really sure what they mean by advanced modern c++. Do they just mean be able to actually use the features in modern c++?

    submitted by /u/MikeLovesEagles
    [link] [comments]

    What is "Shared GPU Memory"?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:34 PM PST

    I have a Ryzen 3900x system with a GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), and 32GB of system memory.

    In Task Manager, when I look at the Performance tab, I can see GPU 0 (the GTX 1080) with 8GB of dedicated memory.

    However, below that, I have 16GB of Shared GPU memory shown. I don't have a second GPU installed, and the Ryzen 3900x doesn't have an IGPU, so I'm confused as to what this 16GB of memory is? Is it from main memory?

    submitted by /u/RenoMD
    [link] [comments]

    Using an rfid card with a reprogrammmable uid with a rfid lock

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:23 PM PST

    I have this rfid reader/lock

    And I want to use these rfid cards and a raspberry pi with an mfrc522 reader/writer to change the uid so that a player can open the door. It's part of a game so nothing nefarious.

    I believe the ad2000 stores uids for access but I will be unable to verify for a few days and internet searches are vague, so I want to order those rfid cards if they can be used to spoof the uid of the programmed access card.

    My alternate approach is to place another mfrc522 card inside a gutted version of the current reader, but that seems like a fair bit more work and would destroy the buzzer and light feedback that the current device provides. Not to mention buying and maintaining another raspberry pi.

    Is it possible to write to the uid sector with these cards so that the reader thinks they are authentic? Will the cards fail after a relatively small number of read/write cycles (~1000)?

    Edit: if this isn't a good subreddit for these types of questions please let me know! I couldn't find one that seemed better suited

    submitted by /u/Chu_BOT
    [link] [comments]

    Question about hotspots

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:13 PM PST

    I was curious if someone can help me with this probably stupid question.

    Anyways I was using my work laptop for watching a movie during some free time during a company trip. I connected to my buddies phones hotspot because it was better than the hotel WiFi . Turns out he browsing some NSFW content on the reddit app on his phone while I was on my laptop. Is the data separated in some way or could my company see something like that? I'm probably overthinking it.

    submitted by /u/roboroni
    [link] [comments]

    Are tv power cords universal?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:58 PM PST

    Meaning can I buy one cord and use it for another tv if I decide to buy another tv in the future

    submitted by /u/EzGwap
    [link] [comments]

    Do all USB A ports have their own bus with their own bandwidth, or do they all share bandwidth?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:06 PM PST

    Basically my new machine will have 4 USB A ports and I plan on using an extender hub, I want to know if they'll all share bandwidth or if each port brings its own controller

    submitted by /u/ConfusedRainbow
    [link] [comments]

    Need help finding modern TV for old game consoles.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:47 PM PST

    I've got some older game consoles lying around (Gamecube, PS2, N64, and WiiU. Maybe more in the future) and I'm considering getting a TV to hook them into so they're not just sitting in a box and wasting away, but a lot of modern TV's now seem to have a lot of input lag to them that really screws with how some of the games work. (For instance, the timing on Paper Mario TTYD, or aiming with a Wiimote while playing Metroid Prime.)

    However, when I turn to google and try to find low input lag TV's 90% of the TV's I find seem to not be for sale anymore, which is really bothering me.

    Thus, I would like to pose a question: Does anyone know of any ultra-low input lag TV's that are still being made and sold new? Preferably ones with at least one set of composite video inputs?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/Halowarmonger
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with google drive

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:38 AM PST

    I have a samsung with over 4000 files (pics and videos) on it and i want to transfer them on a hard drive . I decided that putting them on google drive would be the easiest way to do it, but i can't make it work . when i'm on the google drive app on my samsung, i have different folders with my files on it . But when i'm on my computer, on the same google account, i have my folders and they are empty. Is there anything i'm doing wrong ? why are my files not on my computer?

    submitted by /u/edgyoilyhuman
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi Monitor for Text Only

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:31 AM PST

    I hope this is a good place to ask the question as I can't find information or posts about exactly what I'm looking for.

    What I want: a simple, text only screen that I can attach to the front of my fridge. I'd like to send text to (grocery lists, to dos, etc...) from an app. Preferably something that I can add items to while I am out of the house. Hopefully something with a rechargeable battery with a long life.

    Has anyone come across a product like this? I have found diy solutions like putting magnets on a tablet but I'd rather find something more specific to my use.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/Ibsrs
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from Windows to Mac

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:36 AM PST

    My work laptop was due for an upgrade and my employer gave me an option ... Windows or Mac. I've been a lifetime Windows user but the consensus among coworkers was that this decision was a no-brainer ... Mac ... and so I did. The transition hasn't been horrible but I can't help but feel like I'm not using the Mac to its fullest capabilities. I feel like I'm using it as a longtime Windows user who doesn't really know what he's doing would. Does anyone have advice? Are there any sites/videos/resources for helping someone transition from the Windows world to Mac?

    submitted by /u/SausageKingOfKansas
    [link] [comments]

    Does my PC save data on what networks ive been connected to?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:42 AM PST

    I am just wondering if my PC saves some kind of logs of what networks it has been connected to. And if it does can how can i clear/reset this?

    submitted by /u/m0ntez
    [link] [comments]

    Is there really a free,reliable way to find a person by just using their picture ?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:23 AM PST

    Google image reverse search barely cuts it,unless it is for a celebrity. There are some paid websites i tried that do not do the job. What other methods are good for this task ?

    submitted by /u/weirdo_1996
    [link] [comments]

    Windows Server 2016 Direct Access

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:16 AM PST

    So, here's my issue. I'm attempting to set up Direct Access on Windows Server, and something keeps stopping me, and I'm not sure what. In the Enable DirectAccess Wizard Apply, every time I try to finish, a series of errors show up.

    In order they say... -A DNS entry for my IP address cannot be added, must be done manually (whatever manually means). -DNS entries for DNS and web probes have the same issue above -And when I get to "Updating Network Connectivity", it says "No such host is known"

    What do these errors mean exactly, and how would I go about solving them? Apologies if my descriptions aren't very good, I'm not a really tech savvy person.

    submitted by /u/ALLPX
    [link] [comments]

    Will I need to get an Amp? Help

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:32 AM PST

    I am thinking about getting the HyperX Cloud Alpha's which have a sensitivity of 98Db and an impedance of 65. I have the Dell Inspiron 5675 and was using the Realtek ALC3266 chipset on it. Will this be enough to drive these headphones or will I need to get an Amp?

    submitted by /u/Flxmes27
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to see content from a Facebook group if the group has now been deleted? Like a way back machine for Facebook?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:30 AM PST

    Pretty much describes it all in the title. It's a public group that is now deleted. Wondering if there's a way to go back and see the group members and posts, etc.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/jerkingonthethrone
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment