• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 18, 2019

    Tech Support - If I have Whatsapp desktop / Facebook opened, and then I turn on VPN, why am I not kicked out of the account even though my location has changed?

    Tech Support - If I have Whatsapp desktop / Facebook opened, and then I turn on VPN, why am I not kicked out of the account even though my location has changed?


    If I have Whatsapp desktop / Facebook opened, and then I turn on VPN, why am I not kicked out of the account even though my location has changed?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 06:21 PM PST

    If someone tried logging into my account from another country, websites will generally send me a notification saying "someone from Taiwan is trying to access your account". I imagine when I continue using Facebook after turning VPN on, my location will change to other place in the world. So why am I not getting kicked out?

    If the reason is because I am already online, does it mean Facebook (and other services in general) knows my location before and after I turned on VPN, which defeats the purpose of using VPN in the first place?

    I am using Facebook for simplicity, but it applies to all web services in general, regardless whether they have privacy scandal or not.

    submitted by /u/naj690
    [link] [comments]

    Can light sensors be used as a crude camera?

    Posted: 18 Dec 2019 02:09 AM PST

    Hi there!

    In this creepypasta a hacker is able to use light sensors on smart devices such as microwaves to form a crude camera. Here's an excerpt.

    "I tried the various devices around the house that the neighbor had connected to his system. Most were named with random numbers and letters, but I did find that household devices had many more sensors than we gave them credit for. A microwave in the kitchen had some sort of crude light sensor, and the system sent me its data as an incredibly blurry video feed. A big blob of darkness moved in place in front of a bright rectangle of light, and I realized I was looking at my neighbor on his laptop from a different angle. In fact, many devices in the house had crude light sensors or audio pickups, and I could hear the shower running upstairs on one while listening to the son's show on another."

    Could a hacker use light sensors to create a crude camera?

    A fun fact if you have a Nest device and think you have privacy. Nest account logins are sold on the internet in bulk by hackers. You might be being watched right now. . .

    submitted by /u/OrangeStarship
    [link] [comments]

    I made a bad decision and now I'm getting log-in attempts for random old accounts.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 11:45 AM PST

    I signed up for Disney+ when it first came out and like an idiot I used an old password. My account was posted somewhere on the dark web and I get multiple log in attempts every day, even after I deleted my subscription and closed the account. In the past few weeks I keep getting log in notifications for accounts I haven't used in years, that I didn't think to change the password for. They are random accounts (Uber, EA, CashApp, Xfinity) and I closed or changed the password for every account but I don't know the best plan of action to make sure my information isn't phished.

    I have frozen all of my credit, just to be safe, and notified my banks to look out for unusual activity. My main email and important bank info are safe under a password authentication service. Literally anyone who has dealt with cyber security please let me know what to do. I am so lost at this point and it's stressing me out every time an account is logged into. If this isn't the right place to post this please point me in the correct direction. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Insomniac_khat
    [link] [comments]

    What's your experience switching from galaxy to iphone?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 11:27 PM PST

    I've had a Samsung Galaxy s8 for years, but I need a new phone. I have been debating the iphone 11 pro because of the great camera (I'm a fan of smartphone photography, so camera is a big deal to me) but I'm also leaning towards the galaxy s10+ since it seems like an overall good phone and I am hesitant to switch operating systems. What's your experience and opinion?

    submitted by /u/hamiltonoftheopera
    [link] [comments]

    Which micro USB should I buy to maximize useable lifetime per dollar?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 11:26 PM PST

    It seems micro USB cables wear out somewhat quickly.

    I don't know what exactly goes wrong, but they just start working intermittently, and then less and less.

    Which model should I buy to maximize useable lifetime per dollar?

    Edit: Monoprice seems good.

    Hm, dx.com seems good.

    I found one for 0.99 USD with free shipping.

    Looks like it's even cheaper than Monoprice.

    submitted by /u/benjaminikuta
    [link] [comments]

    How will top AIO intake affect my temps?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 11:16 PM PST

    For the holidays my girlfriend decided to buy me a corsair h150i for my pc, I have a question regarding how effective top intake cooling is as I haven't been able to find any videos or info comparing top intake vs front intake. My case is an NZXT H440 with the three frontal 120mm fans and one 140mm exhaust fast in the back. I know that there are many theories about how things work, but i'm curious to know if anyone has actually tested and posted results. I am aware that there may be more dust build up (not an issue, as i'm willing to do maintenance and care most about temps). The issue with trying to install a 360mm rad on the front is that i'd have to remove all of my hard drive bays. In theory i'd say that the frontal fans can push the top rad intake air to the exhaust in the back. I also don't want to hear the answer that "hot air naturally rises" or "just use it as an exhaust" because I am aware that it does not rise at a rate fast enough to counteract the flow of the fans, and i'm looking to use it as an intake. I'm looking for purely charts or info, or personal experience. I won't be installing it for another week so I thought i'd take the time to gather up some responses. Hoping that someone has a little info :) thanks !

    submitted by /u/alldooomed
    [link] [comments]

    Do Google homes/Alexa really spy? I have paranoid parents. If not, can someone please send me some legit looking sources?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 10:56 PM PST

    Connecting Two Monitors To A Laptop With One Hdmi Port

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 06:01 PM PST

    So as the title says i have a laptop with only 1 hdmi port and i was wondering how i would go about connecting two monitors to it, either using a hdmi splitter (unclear whether i would have two separate screens or two of the same screens) or a usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter, giving me another hdmi port to use

    submitted by /u/Freeeazy1
    [link] [comments]

    Extending 5Ghz WIFI Via Old Cisco Valet Router...

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 06:48 PM PST

    Just wondering if it is a good idea or not to use an old router physically plugged into my current router to extend the range of the 5Ghz WiFi...

    Maybe a bettet way to ask this is: will doing that decrease or halve the speeds? I'd heard that before... but I may be confusing hard-wired vs an access point... not sure if I'm explaining m'self properly but perhaps someone will understand...

    Basically... my current range is JUST short... and I can't really move the actual ISP provided modem... it doesn't reach... but I DO have an old router... and cat5...

    Thoughts?

    🤔

    submitted by /u/class5vapor
    [link] [comments]

    How do I connect my iPhone X to my printer? It won’t show up on air print.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 06:25 PM PST

    I have an EPSON (ET- 4550), PrecisionCORE

    submitted by /u/GuppyLefear
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap, basic device for notetaking, rough sketching, reading, organisation with WiFi syncing.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 01:16 PM PST

    I'm looking (and struggling to find) a reasonably priced, fairly feature-less device (likely a tablet) that has the following features:

    1. Ability to make rough sketches & notes that will then sync to my other devices through WiFi (something like OneNote would be awesome). This doesn't have to be a real-time sync and can occur manually at specific points in time. N.b. A stylus may be useful but could be aftermarket product. Sketching would be very rough engineering ideas I tend to have, rather than artistic sketching.
    2. Ability to download articles, papers, books etc onto device. (Perferably via WiFi, otherwise via laptop)
    3. Ability to annotate and interact with the above downloaded documents offline
    4. Optional: Ability to have task management / Google calendar app. Or even some offline alternative that is capable of syncing at certain points.
    5. Optional: Audiobook support
    6. Optional: EBook support

    I don't require anything fancy / £ beyond what is mentioned e.g. No megafast processor or high speed roaming connectivity. I actually ditched my smartphone a few months ago, so would almost prefer not to have amazing browsing capability (but I'm sure I can restrict this if necessary).

    All help appreciated!

    submitted by /u/massey95
    [link] [comments]

    Videos randomly pause/unpause, volumes increase/decreases, airplane mode toggles on and off in Windows 10.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 06:17 AM PST

    OS: Windows 10

    I have been facing this issue for quite some time now. My video randomly pauses/unpauses while watching on a web browser or on vlc player. This is the most common problem. Sometimes, it is also accompanied by a random increase or decrease in the volume and airplane mode turning on and off. I have noticed that removing certain updates (although can't say for sure that is a reason) seems to control and decrease such instances.

    This happens at a very random yet rapid rate(almost like flickering). This began about 2 months ago. I tried searching about this problem but no seems to have a problem as specific as mine. Somebody help! Let me know if anyone requires any additional info.

    submitted by /u/no_need_form
    [link] [comments]

    So I need some help

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 02:18 PM PST

    Does anyone know of some good safe video to link converters? I tried using zamzar but it hardly worked.

    submitted by /u/SwordMichigan
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking for a device.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 02:16 PM PST

    I am updating my home entertainment. I am wondering if a device exists that plays DVD, Bluray, and 4K and it has a an RCA output.

    submitted by /u/Nightwing5244
    [link] [comments]

    Xiaomi Redmi note 8 pro or Samsung galaxy A50

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 01:45 PM PST

    They are about the same price here and I'm mainly looking for a good camera - performance.

    submitted by /u/Sgt-Blyatnick
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to rip CD collection and play through Apple TV?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 10:06 AM PST

    My mom has a large assortment of Xmas CDs that she brings out every year, but she no longer wants to use her huge, clunky, multi-disc CD player. She has Apple TV so I thought I could just find all the albums on Apple Music or Spotify and play them that way, but she has enough rarities that I really just need a way for her to be able to access these files easily and press shuffle every December. Is there a way through Apple TV or even a separate, smaller device that this would be possible?

    Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/rockyraccoon226
    [link] [comments]

    Best option for wireless headphones?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 09:57 AM PST

    I'm looking to buy some wireless earphones, but I'm stuck with sooo many options. I know... what a horrible problem, but I'm trying to find a pair with a good balance of sound, battery life, and functionality(?). I should mention that I'm an avid runner, rock climber, and swimmer, so ideally something that pairs well with these activities. I'm not really not too concerned about price bc I see this as an investment. The jabra and bragi dash have stuck out to me, but every review I've seen seems to have something bad to say about all the headphones I've researched. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Pingle22
    [link] [comments]

    Would an 18W PD USB C charger work with a USB C -> A adapter?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 05:44 AM PST

    18W charger -> USB C -> USB A -> Lightning

    Any input would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Mar16celino
    [link] [comments]

    Desktop PC keeps freezing since I upgraded the CPU bad GPU.

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 04:28 AM PST

    This mostly started happening after I changed the GPU about a week after the CPU. The freezing is werid. No blue screens. The screen just freezes with the sound freezing up into an annoying beep sound that won't stop until you hard reset. Exactly like when a video console freezes. Does that mean anything?

    Also I noticed in task manager since adding the GPU apps like Chrome are listed as "Very high" in power usage. I don't remember seeing this before and am worried maybe a need a higher wattage PSU?

    submitted by /u/Master_Vicen
    [link] [comments]

    What's is the best device for taking note's?

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 07:58 AM PST

    I love the interface that's used by Khan academy. What would the best device for something that is just for taking note's and something like the math notes program that Kahn academy uses.

    Also please no apple products. I looking that syns easily with another devices.

    submitted by /u/Nexus_Valentine
    [link] [comments]

    Need help for school project regarding AI

    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 04:21 AM PST

    I'm currently studying Software Engineering and for a project we need to ask ourselves and other people the question "How can AI (artificial intelligence) be implemented into our school within the next 5 years?". We would appreciate possible solutions from both professionals as non-professionals on this subject. Excuses for my bad English.

    submitted by /u/funnynerf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment