• Breaking News

    Friday, October 16, 2020

    Tech Support - Help -- Should I be concerned the repair shop did something to my laptop??

    Tech Support - Help -- Should I be concerned the repair shop did something to my laptop??


    Help -- Should I be concerned the repair shop did something to my laptop??

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:56 PM PDT

    Hello! I hope someone with more tech knowledge can help me determine if I should be concerned or not. I hate that I don't know much about computers, and I'm therefore feeling helpless and paranoid. I hope someone here can offer answers??

    My 2011 macbook pro fell and cracked the screen and smashed up the hinge. I brought it into a local repair shop that seems to specialize in Apple products. The shop employee said they can replace the entire screen, and that I didn't need to give them my password for the laptop or anything because the laptop doesn't need even be on for a screen repair. For my own peace of mind, I recorded my laptops storage info. It was 143.47GB/498.88GB when I brought the laptop in to the shop on 10/4/20. I picked the laptop up on 10/11/20 with it's new screen. When I picked it up, the employee told me my laptop is running slow and if I ever want to bring it back they can make it faster for $200 putting a different SSD inside. I said I'd think about it.

    I took the laptop home and noticed it running significantly slower than when I brought it in. I didn't do anything to the laptop, simply turned it on and tried opening the internet. Since it ran slower than I'd ever seen, my 1st instinct was to check the storage. It was at 145.4/498.88. Weird. So I looked at my applications to see if anything change. I see that my Google Chrome has a "modified date" of 10/8/20 (while the laptop was in the shop).... I find this baffling because 1.) I'd turned the laptop off before bringing it in, and 2.) The repair store employee told me the laptop wouldn't ever need to be on for the screen to be replaced.

    I'm left wondering how my Chrome got modified while it was at the repair shop but turned off??

    I'm also wondering if this "Modification" is the cause of my laptop currently running slower than it was when I brought it to the shop??

    And lastly, combined with the employee's unprompted suggestion of, "You can bring it in to be faster because it's running slow," does this mean something else was done to my laptop without my knowledge to slow it down?

    Should I be concerned? Am I being paranoid? Any the help is appreciated so I can sleep easier!

    submitted by /u/CatsEyeX
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think of ‘the social dilemma’ on Netflix?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    I can't reactivate my Twitter account

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    I had a Twitter account that I deactivated a week ago. I try to reactivate my account but it doesn't work. I don't remember my account username and password. My account don't have an email address, it's only have a phone number. So, I pressed "forgot password" and I typed my phone number and searched it. But twitter said "we couldn't find your account with that information". What should I do?

    submitted by /u/thoplo123
    [link] [comments]

    External monitor (LC Power 34) with Macbook Air (13", Mitte 2013)

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I bought a new monitor for my macbook with a possible resolution of 3440 x 1440 Pixel but i can only scale it to 1770 x 720px on my Macbook - Does anyone of you know how i can change this and get the full resolution?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    submitted by /u/maikhauk
    [link] [comments]

    Can the owner of a internet router or call an internet provider to see what apps someone is viewing and what they are viewing even if use of vpn?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    Will the shape of battery change in the future?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    Will the shape of battery such as AA or AAA change in the future or will it remain the same shape because it's something that every one accepted universally? If the shape doesn't change but the capacity does, will it affect old techs negatively such as toys or flashlights?

    submitted by /u/SoulFactoriesX
    [link] [comments]

    What speed SD card should I aim for on smartphone?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    Hey! I am currently using a galaxy s9+ and will probably upgrade in a year or so. What speed class should I aim for in terms of an SD card? I do take a lot of photos and the occasional video (usually short stuff like my dog being a derp). I ask because the U3 on amazon 128GB is basically the same price as the 256GB C10.

    submitted by /u/brokendrive
    [link] [comments]

    Can't understand application fix involving permissions and the right-click (context?) Menus.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:00 AM PDT

    So I finally managed to get to the end of point 3 but point 4 and where I'm supposed to be clicking or finding the option "Show Content" completely eludes me. Any help would be amazingly appreciated!

    1. Call the context menu, you can right-click and select the "Properties" menu item, then find the sub-item "Sharing and access rights" (at the very bottom).

    2. Find in the list of your current user, if it is not in the list, add it by pressing the button on the screen "+".

    3. Set your user the right to "Read and Write" and make it the owner by clicking on the user and selecting the "Make Owner" item.

    4. Re-invoke the context menu and click on the "Show content" menu item and do the items 1,2,3 with the "Contents" folder and additionally apply changes for the attached files.

    submitted by /u/Cool_Cicada6876
    [link] [comments]

    Machine learning has contributed to the development of a much more in-depth understanding of the human genome as well as practical speech recognition, improved web search results, and self-driving cars.

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:26 AM PDT

    Machine learning has contributed to the development of a much more in-depth understanding of the human genome as well as practical speech recognition, improved web search results, and
    self-driving cars. T or false?

    submitted by /u/Dapper_Delay3276
    [link] [comments]

    Are the Huawei mate 10 and Huawei mate 10 lite the same?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:32 PM PDT

    I know that there's a clear difference between the Huawei mate 10 lite and pro but is the Huawei mate 10 just a different name for the mate 10 lite?

    submitted by /u/drumlaa
    [link] [comments]

    How do I identify the right charging cable for my laptop?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    Hey folks,

    I want to buy a replacement charging cable for my Powerspec 1520 laptop. I'm not sure which cords are compatible or how to tell if they're compatible. Could someone help me out? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/knockout2495
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for making my own magsafe case for iPhone 11?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    As you might know, the new magsafe charger is Qi-compatible with the iPhone 11 Pro Max, but the alignment won't happen since this older phone doesn't have the magnets. Say I were to buy the the magsafe charger. Does anyone have any ideas (besides waiting for a 3rd party case for iPhone 11s) to get those magsafe magnets into a case sized correctly for my size phone? I was thinking of buying a magsafe case and then somehow transferring the magnets into an iPhone 11 case — any ideas on how I could go about this or any better suggestions?

    submitted by /u/baerboy89
    [link] [comments]

    Hard drive question

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    Reliability of drives + Cloning drive

    Cloning drive

    What's everything we need to get to clone a hdd?

    What are all the specific items we need?

    Reliability of drives

    This seems to be drives used as backups, not drive used on computers

    1% average annual failure rate seems very high. 1 out of 100 is a lot

    • Is there any causes why average annual failure rate is so high?
    • Are they using these backups in any specific ways that makes it so high?
    • There are many normal users that haven't had a drive fail even once

    Reliability of drives used for backup seems to be a topic where there are no clear answers

    • Seems overall consenus is is hdd > ssd
    • Some users on web say both are unreliable

    When getting a drive to backup os

    1. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-external-hard-drives/#if-you-spend-most-of-your-time-at-one-desk-desktop-hard-drive
    2. Which is more reliable + safe: hdd or sdd? Why?

    Seems to be lots of conflicting info on this topic

    Anyone an expert on this topic and know what's the most helpful specific source/page on this topic?

    Is this the simplest + sufficiently effective way to test reliability of drive?

    See https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183

    Please source comments for accuracy

    submitted by /u/happypuppy100
    [link] [comments]

    User privacy and open source

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    Today everyone most probably knows that all tech giants like apple, google, amazon, facebook etc etc have terabytes of user data that they can use however they want. I've been wondering if going opensource can make these services transparent so users could know if google sells your search history to fbi or whatever.
    I understand that on their own they'll never do it I'm just wondering.

    submitted by /u/trueubermensch
    [link] [comments]

    cpu undetected/no display after clearing cmos?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    i cleared the cmos on my msi b550 gaming edge wifi because of some earlier problems which have now been fixed, but fixing them created the issue of an undetected cpu as indicated by the ez debug led on my mobo. i've heard people say that my current issue might be because the reset made my cpu/mobo the default graphics option, despite neither component having onboard graphics. on my r5 3600, there are no bent pins or pins stuck in the socket, so i'm fearful that i might've fried my cpu? any fixes?

    submitted by /u/pm-me-your-pets-plz
    [link] [comments]

    Car Stereo OS ��

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    I've made terrible decisions in the past buying new cars - based a lot on the technology contained within. I wonder though if it is possible to change the OS in a deck to add and/or upgrade functionality? Is there hardware to allow for this? I mean isn't improving the technology in the car something we can improve ourselves to a small extent? Any advice or resources would be fantastic as I'm genuinely curious

    submitted by /u/ReverenceCrypt
    [link] [comments]

    What year was this device made?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    Anyone know when the Channel Master 6304 was made and produced? Also if anyone knows anything about it I'd love to hear it. Just bought one and know nothing about it, nor could I find the year it was made.

    submitted by /u/naokomiyano
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally signed into Google account on work computer (info inside)

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    I am currently looking for a new job and my Gmail account inbox contains a lot of emails from other companies. Somehow I accidentally logged into my Google account on my work computer (I noticed when I went to YouTube). Is there anyway they could have seen my Gmail? I immediately signed out of the account, and I will add that Gmail is a blocked site on my laptop. I know this is a bit silly (I worry about my Current Company seeing me looking for other work), just want to make sure IT couldn't have somehow saw my Gmail account by me accidentally logging into My google account.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/RichTannins
    [link] [comments]

    I need an HDMI Splitter for video and Audio

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    Ok, so here's the deal. I have a projector with HDMI input. It has a built-in [crappy] speaker.
    It also has 3.5mm Audio Output... which is currently going to a soundbar.
    I have an Nvidia Shield TV [Android Streaming Device] plugged into the HDMI port on that projector.

    The Soundbar has an HDMI input... , but since the Shield TV only has one output [HDMI Audio and video], I can't make use of HDMI audio on the soundbar [and have the benefit of being able to power on the soundbar when the projector or Shield TV powers on].

    I also have an XboxOne, and a Raspberry PI 3 I'd like to connect to the the projector, and Soundbar.

    I know there are tons of devices on Amazon [and I'm looking specifically to use Amazon credits for this purchase] that will allow you to toggle an HDMI TV/Display between multiple devices.

    My question is, what's a good one, and is it possible to not only toggle whether the Xbox, Android TV, or RPI3 are using the Projector... but also be able to pass HDMI audio from whichever Streaming Device is using the projector... to the Soundbar [over HDMI rather than having to continue using the 3.5mm output jack on the projector?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/MichaelBoltOns
    [link] [comments]

    Approx. every hour, my PC rescans all of my USB ports, causing everything plugged in to disconnect and reconnect.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    What are the possible causes and fixes?

    submitted by /u/Paladin_IPG
    [link] [comments]

    Youtube video performance Chrome vs. Safari observations

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:56 AM PDT

    So I have unexplained differences in performance between Chrome and Safari on my laptop while playing YouTube videos. If anyone cares to speculate about the causes for these differences I'm all ears but I'll just give the data.

    System: MacBook A1278 (Mid-2012)
    Processor: Sandy Bridge i5 3210M (2 cores, 4 threads, 2.5Ghz Base, 3.2Ghz Boost, 3MB Shared Cache)
    Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics: Intel Integrated Graphics 4000

    Chrome Youtube Performance:
    Chrome cannot play 1080p YouTube video without throttling and significant playback interruptions. CPU temp hover between 90-100C with fans at 6200rpm (max). While playing 720p Youtube videos, temp is 80-90C with fan speeds between 4000-6200rpm with no interruptions in playback.

    Safari Youtube Performance:
    Safari can play 1080p Youtube videos for a long time without stuttering with CPU temp between 70-80 with fans steady around 4000rpm rarely spiking over 5000rpm.

    Conclusion:
    Although I enjoy Chrome I think I'll have to settle for Safari for as long as I'm using this laptop, which I hope can be a few more years. Also if any of you have a wrestling top 3 list you'd like me to critique I'm more than happy to give my 2¢ on it.

    submitted by /u/jWozniakBlkjks4ever
    [link] [comments]

    Consult about a software installation in a printer

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    I know this may seem odd, but it's for a uni project in which I act as the company. I am very clueless with technology so apologies in advance if this sounds dumb.

    How long does it take to install a software (that would then be used through a phone app) into a printer?

    This would be done by a hired professional of the area. So, if anyone knows: how much would that cost?

    Thanks in advance to anyone reading this and have a great day

    submitted by /u/atomicbirate
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment