• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 29, 2020

    Tech Support - Help my 95yo grandmother

    Tech Support - Help my 95yo grandmother


    Help my 95yo grandmother

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 06:34 PM PST

    Hi Reddit,

    I have a 95yo blind grandmother that needs quite a bit of care. She lives with my mother who has to work throughout the day to support them. I live away and work a 9-6, making my way over to help out whenever I can (c19 hasn't made this easy).

    Anyway, here's the problem. Due to myself and my mother working everyday, there are prolonged periods of time where my grandmother is left alone. This kills me inside as she always makes passing comments about how painfully bored she gets when she's alone. As she's blind and very fragile, she's pretty much bedridden. So while we're away, she is stuck in bed waiting for us for 6+ hours every day.

    I recently bought her a button clock. It's literally just a big button that speaks the time when pressed. This has helped her tremendously, it genuinely made her happier, and her response to it was "it's less lonely now that I have the button".

    I want to take this further to provide some actual entertainment, or at least give her mind something to think about.

    In an ideal world, I'd want a big button I can connect to a speaker. When the button is pressed, a preselected radio station plays. When the button is pressed again, radio is turned off.

    I've given it a search online and have stumbled upon Echo Buttons, which could potentially work when paired with an Echo, but they seem to have been discontinued? Also, I've seen a lot of complaints about them disconnecting a lot, and this would need to be a sturdy solution.

    Does anyone have any suggestions or experience of how something like this could be achieved?

    Any ideas are welcome.

    Thanks, Leo

    EDIT: Her best language is Lithuanian, so the original idea was to connect to a Lithuanian radio (talk show or something) for her to listen to. I thought this might be easy as I have a Sonos speaker that can play radio via TuneIn... Turns out they don't support Lithuanian radio anyway, so I'm back to the drawing board.

    submitted by /u/LeoKrau
    [link] [comments]

    What is the role of Data Analytics nowadays?

    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 01:44 AM PST

    Without doubts, data analytics implementation plays an important role for businesses to plan and make strategic decisions. In this difficult era we live in, it is more vital than ever to speed up data insights with the assistance of advanced technologies like #ArtificialIntelligence and #MachineLearning and drive digital transformation.

    Here, I read useful examples of how data analytics implementation improves various business areas from Supply Chain Distribution to Marketing.

    Take a look and share any thoughts with me. 💬

    submitted by /u/Com_user
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way I can password protect files/folders on a USB stick, and have it still be protected on different computers?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 05:20 PM PST

    question about "performance" and "turbo" mode on laptop

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 05:08 PM PST

    I have an asus strix G731GT and i use the armory crate app. theres an option to boost the performance of the laptop in the app with preset modes. what i was wondering, is it necessary to change it to turbo when playing high performance games? or is the laptop going to do it automatically to suite?

    thanks and sorry if its worded badly

    submitted by /u/NegativeSalmon
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple page search at once (CTRL + F)

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 10:13 AM PST

    Hi, Is there a solution (app or key combination) to search for a word in multiple tabs at once in the Chrome browser?

    submitted by /u/Goedemiddag
    [link] [comments]

    Potential security issue I noticed with Chrome/Ubuntu/M1-Finance

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 07:43 PM PST

    I run Chrome 87.0.4280.88 on a Linux Ubuntu 20.04.1 on a T3600 desktop. I also use M1 Finance Broker with two factor enabled via Google Authentication. This afternoon, I was signed into M1 inside Chrome when the computer froze. My audio was stuttering on the same note, everything was frozen. I held down the button and the machine powered off. About 6 hours later, I turned the computer on, logged in, and opened Chrome, where it presented me with the option to 'restore pages' which I did. The M1 page, along with others, was reopened and seemed to be logged in. I assumed it was a stale page and clicking on anything inside the window would force me to log back in however, I found that I was completely logged in. My session was held through a crash and 6 hour outage. Some other notes; I use Last Pass which is installed as an app via Chrome but it certainly does not auto log in. I also have my son's google account added to my Chrome and had a separate chrome window open under his account. My question is, what is the mechanism which allows a session, which is subject to timeout and MFA, to be restored after 6 hours and through a system crash?

    submitted by /u/JoeMarine1
    [link] [comments]

    Help updating BIOS

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 06:24 PM PST

    I have an GIGABYTE B450M DS3H, my BIOS is at F2. Do I need to do every single update or can I jump to the latest one?

    submitted by /u/Tronyx12
    [link] [comments]

    Babylonian or Egyptian style technology, RTX launch?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 09:07 AM PST

    MSI posted an image on Instagram called The Ultimate Shockwave. Looks like a teaser for new product launch again on the CES. Any Ideas about this Egyptian or Babylonian style? Just another ordinary visual or new tech features on laptops?

    submitted by /u/KickheadTuck
    [link] [comments]

    Does miniled flicker like OLED at low brightness ?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:46 AM PST

    Does miniled have flicker issues (eg on mobile phones) at low brightness like OLED? I understand from this https://thewiredshopper.com/miniled-vs-microled/ that miniled has a backlight, whereas microled does not and is more like OLED. So maybe microled would flicker, and miniled would not?

    submitted by /u/MarvinDroid
    [link] [comments]

    How do I download a website as a app on Samsung?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:32 PM PST

    Choosing between WiFi vs Cat 7 + Gigabit Ethernet Switch

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 01:13 PM PST

    Currently I use EE Smart Hub which gives around 70 Mbps average download speed. My Pansonic 65DX902B TV and SkyQ box and connected to it via WiFi and notice a slight lag in loading of things like Netflix, Amazon videos and Sky Q home screen. Anyway, I have now added Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K to the TV to stream media from my NAS (Jellyfin server) which will be connected via LAN to the router. I will be streaming 4K videos and would like to avoid the same buffering/lag.

    I can't route three Ethernet cables to the TV+SkyQ+AmazonStick so I was thinking using a 10m Cat7 cable (flat style so it can easily go under the carpet) to a Gigabit Ethernet Switch (near the TV ) and then using 1m Cat 7 cables from the switch.

    Can you please suggest if doing this new setup be better or worse worse than using WiFi.

    Many thanks

    submitted by /u/t4ure4n
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me buy a quality telescope

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 12:32 PM PST

    I need to be able to program it to lock on to certain celestial bodies and track them. I need it to have some kind of adapter to allow me to use it for astrophotography. I am willing to spend $2,500 to $5,000. Please let me know what you think, beautiful hive mind.

    submitted by /u/BBQbabytastesgood
    [link] [comments]

    Can you lock photos so they can only be accessed on certain allowed computers and phones?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:53 AM PST

    Changing Vertical Menu Bar to Horizontal

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 11:01 AM PST

    (no computer) best method for trimming/storing audio from Tascam dr-05x onto Galaxy S10+(Android)?

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 06:32 AM PST

    using micro SD card, no internal storage

    submitted by /u/courtesy_flush_plz
    [link] [comments]

    Question about using adapters

    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 04:49 AM PST

    If I have something like these:

    StarTech-com-USB-DisplayPort-Adapter

    Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Charging-Compatible

    Does it still work if I plug it to a power source, then connect a macbook to it using a usb-c to usb-c cable, and a monitor to it with a displayport cable?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/crk2005222
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment