• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 18, 2020

    Tech Support - Puppy ate the new laptop charger. I'm a noob. Any last hope?

    Tech Support - Puppy ate the new laptop charger. I'm a noob. Any last hope?


    Puppy ate the new laptop charger. I'm a noob. Any last hope?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 03:17 AM PST

    To convert SW decoder to HW

    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 04:19 AM PST

    So, I am using MX player since a long time now and I have never had this problem. Some of the videos I have downloaded say that they do not support HW or HW+ decoder. The problem in SW is that the video lags and it frustrates me so much.

    I tried to find a solution about this on Google but could not get any fruitful results. I really hope that this issue is resolvable. I would appreciate any software that does the trick.

    PS - I would also like to know more about decoders and how SW and HW/HW+ decoders are different.

    submitted by /u/AvidReader_08
    [link] [comments]

    Which Bit depths is used for HD and 4K programme material for distribution., Why do we need more Bit depth capability for UHDTV?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 04:14 AM PST

    How can I attend MS teams meeting on virtual remote desktop?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 07:18 PM PST

    I have to attend MS team meeting every day along with crowd. In meeting, presends lectures without any feedback from us. I can't log out or disconnect.

    I live in a village in third world country with electric cut outs.

    Is there a way to rent a pc online, join meeting and let it run in back ground.

    Thanking you in advance.

    submitted by /u/GoodWill_returns
    [link] [comments]

    Help with my unlocked Apple TV 2

    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 06:07 AM PST

    I have an Apple TV 2 that was jailbroken years ago, running Navi-X on XMDB. I have barely turned it on in 8 years or so, but ordered a new remote that arrived.

    I wanted to use Navi-X again to stream free movies and TV as it is wicked good. But I think that Navi-X had to be shut in 2017.

    I'm wondering if I can now make any use of this unlocked Apple TV 2 and if anyone has advice .. maybe install PopcornTime or .. not sure? I want to use it!

    Any advice? Much appreciated! Or, anywhere else to cross post this?

    submitted by /u/havocgreef
    [link] [comments]

    I Need internet! Just moved to a rural location

    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 12:42 AM PST

    Hey all, I'm looking for a solution. We just moved to a rural location, and we need Internet. The only Internet provider offers Internet at upload speeds of 6 mbps, at $95 a month. It seems like such a rip off, and we probably wouldn't be able to stream anything. There's a T-Mobile tower nearby, I have T-Mobile and I get about 3 bars. I can stream SD fairly well. I thought about using my cell phone as a hotspot, but I worry about going over the 50GB threshold, once I hit that my service slows way down, although I do have "unlimited" service. The reason why I don't want my service to slow down is because I do various gig economy work full time, instacart, Uber etc, and I need good service for the apps to work well. I've considered just purchasing a cheap phone and creating a new account with T-Mobile and using it as a hotspot. What you guys think? Do you know of any other solutions?

    submitted by /u/Zion-ist
    [link] [comments]

    Does version 2 of hdmi mean HDMI 2.1?

    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 12:09 AM PST

    Looking to buy a ps5. Good tv on sale for black Friday. It says HDMI verion 2.

    Does this mean 2.1?

    https://www.eldorado.ru/cat/detail/ultra-hd-4k-led-televizor-samsung-ue50tu7170u/

    TV in question. Yes, it's in Russian.

    submitted by /u/IAMA_Nomad
    [link] [comments]

    The company I work for has a software that checks for activity on the window used to connect to the company computer remotely.

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 11:20 AM PST

    Is there anything that would make it look like I'm always active on that window? It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that since I'm working from home I'd rather work on my home computer which is way faster.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/nogaps
    [link] [comments]

    Merkury Smart Bulbs/Geeni app issues?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:14 PM PST

    Hello! My local Walmart was running some sort of fire sale on Merkury Smart Bulbs for $5 a pop so I bought two yesterday and managed to connect both of them to the Geeni app without issue. Today I purchased 5 more (bc $5 each why not) and not only am I unable to connect the new ones, but I was only able to reconnect one of the two prior ones after disconnecting them. I have followed the user manual both provided in the box and Geeni's online problem solver, but still can't get any to connect. Anything I'm missing or someone experienced the same issue?

    submitted by /u/engorged_phallus
    [link] [comments]

    Timex Ironman functions in the Casio F-91 wristwatch?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:13 PM PST

    The Timex Ironman watch has near-perfect software, whereas the famous Casio F-91 has terrible software (e.g., switching between 12hr/24hr on the main screen with one button press).

    Is there a technological barrier to Casio using Timex-like software?

    submitted by /u/Truth_Dry
    [link] [comments]

    Wiz Smart Bulb Security – Should I Be Concerned?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 06:04 PM PST

    Hi there all, this may be a stupid question, but here it goes anyway.
    I bought a Philips Smart LED Strip (connected with Wiz). I installed the Wiz App as instructed, and followed the set up, which included entering my WiFi name and password. When the lights and app paired, the last step was to go into "WiFi" in settings and select a new "network" that appeared as "WizXXXX" (X's being numbers). The lights connected. Nowhere in this process was I asked to make an account, password, enter an email, or enter a verification code.

    I sat down afterward and thought about how totally not secure it seemed. Lo and behold, when I searched the topic I found tons of articles about how WiFi networks could be exploited through these lights. It freaked me out. I unpaired the lights, deleted the app, and went into the "WiFi" settings to see if that Wiz network was still there, but it was gone and I was connected to my regular network.
    ___

    My dumb question is if this is sufficient to scrub everything? I don't know what else I could do, but now I'm thinking my network name and password are just floating around in the Wiz servers or something. Should I consider changing my network password?

    And as a follow up, what's the best way to securely connect these things, if any? Is it enough to just use a VLAN for smart devices moving forward, or should other measures be taken?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SilkyAnteater
    [link] [comments]

    Rugged External Hard Drive Recommendation

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 05:41 PM PST

    Hello,

    Trying to learn from my mistakes here and be more responsible with backing up my files for work.

    I want to get a rugged external hard drive with the best reliability possible for about $100 or less and can be as small as 1TB (I can't imagine eclipsing any storage space beyond that)

    Ideally, I would like it to be protected from common accidents that could harm a hard drive (i.e, water, hard drops, overheating, and heck, could even sustain an adult accidentally stepping on it). Also, if it has seamless auto backup capability that could be scheduled, that would be a nice bonus. Basically, I do not want to have to sweat out ever losing precious data unless I lose the darn thing myself (maybe it should have a GPS tracker too? haha...ok maybe that is a bit unrealistic)

    Right now I am taking a hard look at the Lacie Rugged Mini, but I am slowing myself down here because truth is that I am far from an expert when it comes to external hard drive technology.

    Definitely do not want want cheapness to undermine my peace of mind here, so feel free to even suggest a higher priced item if it is really worth the value.

    Your suggestions are appreciated, and hopefully anyone with the same needs as myself (in which working from home makes uploading a backup to a central server pretty much unbearable) can also benefit from this post.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/goeb04
    [link] [comments]

    Buying refurbished chromebooks - concerns

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 01:47 PM PST

    Hi, I'm just throwing this question out here in case anyone has any experience or answers about this. I'm looking into buying refurbished chromebooks for my school. One thing that concerns me is the ChromeOS Auto-Update Expiration Date. How much of a big deal is it if a refurbished chromebook has expired its updates? Some of the models I'm looking at have expired updates since 2018 or 2019. For my school, we just need to have Google Chrome working, along with a couple of apps: IXL (either through Chrome browser or the app on Playstore) and probably Zoom for future remote learnings. Would having an out-of-date chrome OS affect our ability to use these things?

    submitted by /u/tigerbalmtonks
    [link] [comments]

    When surveillance was becoming widely used, was there a backlash and concern of privacy, the same we are upset about Facebook, etc?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:20 PM PST

    I guess my question is, will we get used to contemporary implementations of surveillance posited as "good for the public" (as opposed to as, a security measure?)

    Where is the line drawn where it impedes privacy or can be used against citizens?

    submitted by /u/oopsiedaisy_
    [link] [comments]

    What blue light filtering glasses have the least tint?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:20 PM PST

    What is the best place to sell old laptops?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 02:59 PM PST

    How long does it take for a 9V 1A charger, to charge a 2000mAh radio?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 02:23 PM PST

    I have problems with this old radio, and I'm not sure how long should I wait before I unplug the charger. The icon should stop glowing when it's charged, but it still glows after 2 hours. So I wanted to ask how long would it take for a device like it to charge? Should it be already charged or should I give it some more time?

    submitted by /u/jawander
    [link] [comments]

    Can I control Fire Stick on different network?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 08:27 AM PST

    So my dad is a big Green Bay Packers fan, I have NFL Sunday Ticket set up for him through his fire stick, as we live in a different viewing market. My dad is 88 years old… Every Sunday, I have to go over and flip the TV to that input, open up the app and start the game for him. Then I do the whole thing in reverse when the game is over. Although sometimes I stay and watch the game with him when I can. Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a way to remotely perform this process or at least the part from fire stick. He can do the part where he flips the TV input over to fire stick. I found an app, but it looks like you have to be on the same Wi-Fi network in order for it to control the screen. Ideally, I'd love to be able to do it from home while I'm working on other things. Thanks for any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/suprbert
    [link] [comments]

    LMS and Virtual Classroom etc... definition help

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 09:31 AM PST

    Hey guys, my diploma work covers the usage of IT stuff during the covid-19.

    I have to use every definition correctly, but there is no proper source. What is the difference between LMS and Virtual Classroom? Some people says Google Classroom is an LMS, some says its's just a virtual classroom OR JUST A COLLABORATION AND INFORMATION SHARING PLATFORM... WTF???

    Thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/RivoN0Mad
    [link] [comments]

    Registering accounts with forwarding emails

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 08:18 AM PST

    Can you make accounts on websites using a forwarding email address to counter data leaks?

    Say I don't want to keep changing my personal email address everytime my account is part of a company leak. is it possible to use custom domain forwarding addresses to register, that forward to my actual email address and then if those get leaked I can just make a new one? So kinda similar to temporary payment cards. Or would the email verification stage not work as the address you receive the email at is different to the registered one?

    submitted by /u/TheJoninCactuar
    [link] [comments]

    Lag switch on Zoom?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 07:28 AM PST

    I remember a couple of years back on this multiplayer video game called "For Honor" that some people used lag switches that block data from going out but let data come in. This led to cheaters using lag switches to seem stuck and unattackable to other players while going behind them or out of their line to attack for an advantage and flipped it back again to let data out so that they can attack the enemy player from somewhere safe. Can lag switches be also used for Zoom so that I can block my video feed from sending data so that the video feed only shows a stuck image of me staying still and paying attention whilst I go do other important stuff while only letting the data in so that I can listen to the zoom call ? My purpose is that I need to look like I'm sitting down facing the webcam attending the meeting while I get up and do other stuff. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/FlatwormKey1400
    [link] [comments]

    Any difference between APC UPSs?

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:59 AM PST

    APC UPS 10-Outlet ($160) (6-battery / 4 surge) (SKU: 6165878)

    APC UPS 6-Outlet ($40) (4-battery / 2 surge) (SKU: 5554800)

    Does the LCD display make that big of a difference to increase the price that much? I'd assume the correlating outlets function the exact same on each device. For the same cost, I could get four 6-six outlets. The SKU's were taken from Best Buy's website.

    I'm planning on using it/them on a game cabinet with tv, several game systems, and AVR. Another eventually for a PC build, electronic standing desk, and synth (and maybe 3D printer). It'd be more feasible to get multiple 6-outlets, but I figured I'd make sure they're just as viable first. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/mylegalusername
    [link] [comments]

    Quick full screen coloured flash every hour or so when HDR turned on

    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 04:40 AM PST

    I've been getting these quick-millisecond full screen flashes where the whole screen flashes in a certain colour. The colour changes randomly, mostly it's green, sometimes purple or yellow. I have a new Windows 10 PC with an RTX 2070 super hooked up to a 50" Samsung 4k. I tried swapping an HDMI cable to a new HDMI 2.1 "Gator Cable" that supports 8k 120Hz just incase, but to no avail. The only way I got it to stop was to turn off HDR, haven't seen one all day.

    How can I find out what's causing the problem? I thought about recording the desktop and then watching the recording on my phone to see if it's the PC or the TV but it could be hours till I see one, and 4k HDR recording is pretty taxing...

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/default36
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment