• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 26, 2020

    Tech Support - Looking for advice from Apple users and users that are concerned with privacy

    Tech Support - Looking for advice from Apple users and users that are concerned with privacy


    Looking for advice from Apple users and users that are concerned with privacy

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:28 AM PST

    Hi! Please be nice. I'm new and I know a lot of my questions probably seem stupid, but I really want to learn. I'm a young person that is trying to learn more about privacy and technology while also managing my anxiety. For pretty much my entire life I've grown up with Apple devices and with the internet. I would make random email accounts all of the time with my friends and do random stuff on the internet. I was a kid and not worried about my footprint and privacy. I made videos and posted them online, had every social media account imaginable, and explored the internet in embarrasing ways. I wish I could go back and delete it all, but I no longer remember any passwords and stuff like that can't be "erased." I have nothing to hide and I've done nothing illegal, my search history is filled with things from Buzzfeed articles to fanfiction to typical legal NSFW stuff.

    Now I am trying to find the best way to use Apple products while minimizing my anxiety about past embarrasing stuff to start a new way to browse the internet and hopefully to erase any past data associated with my name and Apple products and start new. When it comes to other internet accounts, in the past I deleted one of my old gmail accounts, deleted my old Apple ID, and thought I "started over." I did this again a year later, erasing my iPhone and creating a new Apple ID. Most recently, I deleted my main Gmail account and replaced it with ProtonMail. I'm in school and have a school given email that allows me to log onto school portals, and that is signed up for stuff like Quizlet, Chegg, etc, and maybe a few shopping sites.

    I also have an iCloud email for my Apple ID, and I have a Mac and an iPhone. I have an iCloud, ProtonMail account, and a school email associated with Outlook. I really want to start over and start clean (as much as I can) but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. I can't do anything with my school email while I'm in school, and my goal is to just have my ProtonMail and my school email, and start clean on my phone, have my past data erased. I want to stop using social media and just use my iPhone for texting and calls and 1-2 apps. I'm looking into using my iPhone without my Apple ID, and I was thinking I could erase my phone, open the erased phone and start the phone using an iCloud backup from my Apple ID. I would go to iCloud and download my contacts, photos, and a few apps from that backup (Spotify, GroupMe, FireFox, etc.) to the phone, turn off iCloud, log out of my Apple ID, and then delete my Apple ID from a computer. Starting then I would use FireFox on my phone, use only Spotify, GroupMe, Life360 (I have a seizure disorder and unfortunately need an app like that so my emergency contacts can know where I am), and that is about it. In order to download apps I need an Apple ID, which is why I would use my ID to download the apps, but I don't want the data associated with my ID to remain, so I would then log out and delete. I would also download contacts and pictures from the cloud onto my phone. However, I'm worried this would compromise my "new" phone. What do you all think?

    submitted by /u/No_Judgment4259
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about my ISP, routers, and WiFi

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:35 AM PST

    I have some questions about my ISP and my router. How much information about browsing history do most ISP keep, and how long would they keep it? Are other members of my family able to see my browsing history? My family is currently using Google Fiber, how much data does the company keep about specific browsing history? If you change ISP, what happens to past data and past browsing history? If we had a different ISP a few years ago, would they still have our browsing history and data and would it hypothetically be able to be accessed? I also have a question about multiple people using a WiFi. We have WiFi in our home and multiple people live here with multiple devices. I know that when you erase specific devices you erase the browsing data and data on that device, but I would assume it is still on the internet or able to be accessed by the service provider. Can Google Fiber see specifically who is searching or which device is searching, or is it all just part of the same Wifi? If someone comes to our house and looks something up using our WiFi, would it show as a "guest" to the WiFi or would those searches show up as being "our" households? How long would our search history be accessible by not us but by the service provider? Thank you for your help, sorry for all of the questions.

    submitted by /u/No_Judgment4259
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to make a site think im a different user?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 07:03 PM PST

    So basically i need a way to make a website think im an entirely different user to take advantage of a free sample/trial once per user and so far clearing cookies and a user agent switcher have not worked, im not very knowledgeable with computers i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas as even switching browsers does not work

    submitted by /u/BoxOf_Rocks
    [link] [comments]

    wifi/computer problems

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 01:08 AM PST

    hi there , i wanted to find out if anyone would have an answer to this as im stumped. my mums computer hasnt been able to connect to her home wifi for awhile now thought it must have been the computer because the phones, laptops, playstations are all connected fine. she got a new computer and tried to connected said it was connected but no internet access which is what the old computer was saying but i took both computers home to my place and they are connecting to my wifi fine. So what would be causing them not to connect at her place when everything else is connecting?

    submitted by /u/Chance_Egg5326
    [link] [comments]

    (Delete if not allowed here) How much is a boxed iPhone 3GS worth?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 10:52 PM PST

    It's not sealed but the phone and box itself are in perfect condition and contain all contents. I think I've come across a deal (only $30)

    submitted by /u/Commando9966
    [link] [comments]

    Which true wireless earbuds are easiest to connect from different devices?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 03:03 AM PST

    I have Macbook pro and Google Pixel 2XL.

    Having Xiaomi airdots, switching between devices is kinda boring. If airdots are connected to Mac and I want to switch to Pixel, I have to :

    - Switch Bluetooth off on Mac

    - Turn on bluetooth on Pixel

    - Go to bluetooth settings on Pixel and choose Airdots

    If I had Apple Airpods and iPhone instead of Pixel, things would get more comfortable.
    Is there an alternative that would work similarly on Mac and Android?

    Decided not to get an iPhone because I can't download stuff from browser

    submitted by /u/ChibzZz42
    [link] [comments]

    Balance headphones.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 09:56 PM PST

    I'm trying to balance a pair of wireless headphones on Windows 10, but it doesn't allow me to. I go to, speaker properties, then the levels tab, but the option to click on balance doesn't show. every tutorial I've seen shows this option in order to balance your headphones but it doesn't show for me.

    submitted by /u/cococoocoo
    [link] [comments]

    How does handwriting.io work?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:18 AM PST

    I came across this awesome app 😎 handwriting.io.

    It converts text to handwriting. ✍🏾

    Every instance of the letter you type is different. 😮

    I wonder how the developers made this cool app. 🤔

    You can test it for yourself 👉🏾 here

    Can you 😇 please tell me how does this app work and convert text to handwriting?

    submitted by /u/fitadityagym
    [link] [comments]

    309 mbps and only getting 13 MBps at top on steam

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 01:45 PM PST

    Hi, my pc is connected to Ethernet and getting good downalod results on speedtest by Okla (309mbps). But when i try to download a game in steam, it's only downloading 13MPbs at max. I don't have an SSD so i'm using a 4TB HDD, but steam doesn't use the full reading speed, only around 12 MBps. Is there something i can do except buying an SSD to make the download faster?

    submitted by /u/KinqOslo
    [link] [comments]

    Can external-SSD be used in lieu of extra internal RAM

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 01:24 PM PST

    According to this article that I read, How to Use an External Hard Drive As RAM (techwalla.com) , it is possible to use an HDD. Upon doing some research (read as : Redditing it),I found that HDD is better than nothing but it can't match the overall speed of your computers RAM. Given that SSDs are faster than HDDs, would swapping an HDD for an SSD yield better results? Or would the difference be negligible because of the fact that the extra memory is still external? I just bought an ASUS Zenbook from Best Buy, which at the on-sale price point of $600 had to many other good specs to pass up but the RAM isn't upgradeable, it's locked at 8GB. That's why I ask.

    submitted by /u/IfYouSeeMeSendNoodz
    [link] [comments]

    Self Driving Bike feedback greatly appreciated

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 06:17 PM PST

    Okay I know that a self driving bike might be a terrible idea but hear me out this can be used to commute to work in a city of just for people who cannot afford a car, the technology is there its just that nobody produced it yet here are the features and specs, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Features:

    Self driving

    Gps

    Cellular

    Fpv

    Weather

    Apple car play and android auto

    Headlight and backlight

    Fingerprint

    40min charge

    5 usb ports

    Turn signals

    3 outlets

    Wheel lock

    6 cameras

    Motion sensor

    Heated seat

    Fridge/storage

    Seat with backrest/ bolstering and massage

    Security camera

    Regen braking

    Lane keep assist

    Emergency braking

    Sign and stop light recognition

    Full suspension

    Calories burned

    Elevation

    Cadence

    Power

    Hands Free calls

    Anti lock brakes

    Traction control

    speakers

    mirrors

    Heated handle bars

    Thumb throttle and throttle on arm rest

    Automatic transmission

    Specs:

    8 inch display

    5g

    40min fast charge

    40lbs-

    8 cameras 21mp "for fpv and self driving"

    X2 500w speakers

    Ota updates

    asynchronous motor

    300 miles plus

    Ceramic brakes pads

    Abs

    Traction Control

    72v

    Oled display

    Top speed 22mph+

    20 speed transmission

    Like stated above any feedback is appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/gearhead_2
    [link] [comments]

    Can I replace the ram on my MacBook from 2013?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 05:08 PM PST

    It's pretty slow. I'm going back to school and I don't have the money to buy a new one.

    I heard I can replace the ram and that will help it function better?

    I don't know anything about computers, please bear with me.

    submitted by /u/okletmethink
    [link] [comments]

    Help exporting images from memorialized facebook

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 04:17 PM PST

    My finacee passed away a few months ago and her facebook was memorialized. What I didnt know is that this completely locks other users from most of all features. I am trying to export/download all the pictures and videos stored on her facebook. There is thousands of files and I can't download them all at once and I dont want to individually hit "save" on each and every file. I've tried image downloading software that didnt work, I tried selected multiple photos and dragging and dropping them in a folder, my desktop or another app and I cant find a good way to do this. I would even pay to have all this stuff exported in decent quality files.

    submitted by /u/NewJaxcity12
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think kids "should" know about technology before age 12?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 12:05 PM PST

    I teach kids in grades K-5 and I'm looking for some outside perspective on what is important for young people to know how to do these days. I don't have a curriculum mandated by my school system, so I basically teach whatever I want. I've been teaching them about downloading, uploading, keyboard shortcuts, how to create slide shows/memes, a lil block based coding, and how to be safe online. Any ideas, suggestions, or resources are welcome!

    a

    submitted by /u/futuretrunks97
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to expand home wifi without losing speed

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 12:11 PM PST

    My current setup involves one 30m cable running from my main router to an older router downstairs but the speeds downstairs are terrible. My brother couldn't buffer a single facebook video on 360p downstairs.

    The options I have now are:

    1. Run another cable from my main to his laptop (probably the cheapest method)

    2. Buy a mesh wifi system (will probably need 4 of them)

    3. Connect a switch from my main router and create an access point using my old router from that switch.

    I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to routers and networking, am I still going to have slow speeds with the last two options?

    Any other better alternatives would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want my brother to miss his lectures because of this.

    submitted by /u/zrahman07
    [link] [comments]

    Will the new MackBook Pro M1 be able to do scientific computation as well as the Intel architecture does?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 05:37 AM PST

    I am a physics undergrad at the University of Oslo, and we have a major focus om computational science, using numerical tools to solve physics problems. My current MacBook Pro is 7 years old, and I am looking to replace it, and the M1 is tempting. I am however concerned about how well the M1 architecture is suited for programming, especially heavy C++/Python computation for scientific application. Any tips out there?

    submitted by /u/sakki98
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment