• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 29, 2020

    Tech Support - How relevant is an HDMI 2.1 port?

    Tech Support - How relevant is an HDMI 2.1 port?


    How relevant is an HDMI 2.1 port?

    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 04:12 AM PST

    Hey everyone! Me and my family are going to replace our 10 y.o. HD TV. We pretty much decided what we want: a 4k OLed 48in screen. The choice is between two Sony and Lg models. Exactly the same screen, the main differences are the price (although it doesn't matter as much in our choice) , with the Sony one being 200€ more expensive, the audio quality, with the Sony one being seemingly far superior, and the presence of an HDMI 2.1 port on the LG one. I game and I want to buy in a couple of months a ps5. I care about gaming quality, but personally I'd opt for the Sony one because of the audio quality, given that to compensate the LG from what I read we would need a high quality soundbar (rather costly). My question is: for a guy that plays mainly single player games, how relevant is the absence of the 2.1 port? If it is a big difference, as well in the year to come, I'd choose the LG tv. If the difference is only theoretical and in practice I would experience not the highest peak performance, but still peak performance, I'd rather choose the Sony one. By the way, thank you in advance for your time!

    submitted by /u/Excalibur30
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for an online program to send anonymous compliments. Does it exist? (please read text as it's a bit more complex than that)

    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 04:39 AM PST

    A group I'm involved with want to do a "compliment secret santa" thing. As I've set up a few online secret santas this year, I agreed to research ways we could do it, but I can't seem to find any program that would work for this.

    Basically, I have a large group of people (roughly about 200), each in smaller groups of about 10-30. I want everyone to receive an email with the name of someone random in their smaller group, and to be able to send a message to that person anonymously. As it's a secret santa, it's important everyone gets picked to send and receive a message and no-one gets left out or picked twice. A moderator would also need to be able to view these messages.

    It's been recommended to me that all names could be put into a secret santa generator in groups. Then everyone could just send their message with the name of the recipient to one of the people on the team running it. That person could check the message for any inappropriate content and remove any mention of the sender's name and email before forwarding it on to the recipient. That would probably work; I'm just wondering does anyone know any easier ways it could be done before I decide on that one. Hope this makes sense! Thanks very much!

    submitted by /u/Uniqueatomformation
    [link] [comments]

    Can't open pics or some of the microsoft store apps .

    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 04:22 AM PST

    Hi , i just bought a used laptop , and did a factory reset on it , the laptop works fine , all the apps installed after the factory reset works fine , the problem is that i can't open any pics or vids , it says "package failed updates, dependency or conflicts validation.

    I used the system repair tool to try and fix it and still nothing , i tried some powershell commands such as this one :

    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    and still nothing .

    Please help, i've got some projects to do and i need to open pictures .

    submitted by /u/boba0fett
    [link] [comments]

    Is Malwarebytes necessary on a new computer?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 12:36 PM PST

    I just bought my mom a new Surface Pro 7 for Christmas to replace her old Windows XP laptop. We've always had Malwarebytes on her laptop because there wasn't any stock security software on XP, but I've heard from several people that Windows Defender would make it redundant. We bought a lifetime license for it back in the day, so the price isn't really a concern. Is it a good idea to install it? Is it even necessary?

    submitted by /u/alexanderarius
    [link] [comments]

    Google Chrome auto update

    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 12:41 AM PST

    Is there a permanent way to disable Google Chrome auto update ? This I find as the most irritating feature of chrome. I tried everything from deleting the google update file to changing registry, but it all comes back to regular after a month or so. Is there any way I could stop this ?

    submitted by /u/prasiptasp
    [link] [comments]

    Crossfire, Older Video Card, Newer "Remake"

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 12:41 PM PST

    So I just finished ordering all the core parts for my new PC build. I bought a radeon rx 570 armor mk2 8g oc as the last upgrade for my aging system with plans of going X-fire when I build the new.. unfortunately, the card I paid $300 for in 2018 is now $600 everywhere I look... I thought technology prices went DOWN over time, but for some reason this card price has doubled.

    So now I'm faced with a conundrum... do I look for a used/cheap version of this card or do I buy something different? There is another card almost just like it but it isn't the same and my computer theme is red and black (like the graphics card I have now). It's not quite the same spec but almost identical (even called radeon rx 570). Or do I just get something new and use a single card until I can buy something better? So many options to choose besides the easy one I wanted.

    For reference, the build is an i7-9600K with 32gb 2666 ram on an MSI z390 gaming-plus motherboard. I'm only really interested in gaming at 1K/FHD at the moment because my new monitor is FHD 165hz. I'd like to get good FPS (165) on the newest games for at least a little while to enjoy my new build.

    There is also a Radeon RX 580, which I had earmarked for this build when I specced it, but I'm not sure if it would work with my 570 or if it's worth even doing considering both cards are "old".

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/profile_this
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the downside of just signing up for many cloud storage accounts and using their free limit?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 06:18 PM PST

    Free limit is 15 GBs, I only have about 500 GBs to store and I'm not expecting it to grow quickly, so it could be feasible. I'd have to login from time to time to make sure they don't delete them though, would automating this work or do they have some form of detection?

    submitted by /u/tesseracts
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting family with digital picture frames

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 12:22 PM PST

    My mom and I want to have multiple digital picture frames (like one at her house, one at mine, one at each of my siblings, maybe one at some work offices) connected to a single cloud of photos, that we can all add to and then the pic just ends up on rotation.

    submitted by /u/dmlemco
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make it appear that multiple unique people have clicked on a link?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 07:25 PM PST

    I currently have a "sponsorship" going on for a certain brand and they said that the amount of success depends on how many people click on my special link. How can I spoof this and make it seem like many different people have clicked on it?

    submitted by /u/apresti
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of switching from Verizon to T-Mobile for cheap new iPhone 12's. Is the switch worth it.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 03:11 PM PST

    I have to travel a lot, but need a new phone desperately. How is the coverage in smaller cities/less populated areas? Does it drop a lot? Anyone have positive/negative experiences with it? Or should I just suck it up and stick with Verizon and buy new iPhones myself?

    submitted by /u/Ready_Hovercraft_771
    [link] [comments]

    PDF textbook tracked???

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 01:53 PM PST

    I emailed a fairly exclusive textbook to my cousin, not thinking about the consequences but he told me when he opened it on chrome that it popped up with a message saying 'This textbook is licences to students of [my school]'.

    Is this an indication of tracking the pdf? If so, how much would the tracker see, would they be able to see that I emailed it to someone else??

    submitted by /u/Ill-Seaworthiness759
    [link] [comments]

    A relative gave me their iMac and I can hear that it's on but nothing shows?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 01:40 PM PST

    They told me it should work but it has been unused for months and leaving it plugged in and powered on for a couple hours should get it going? Can anyone confirm if this works? Or is there anything else I can try if this doesnt work?

    submitted by /u/blueeyesultimatepoop
    [link] [comments]

    Google Meet Extensions

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 10:41 AM PST

    hello!

    Is there any extension or program for google meet that will tell me who pinned me to there screen? I need this to see if a teacher has pinned me to their screen during a test to check if I am cheating, based on posture and body language.

    submitted by /u/Anynomous-232
    [link] [comments]

    Smart camera that can detect animals and alert me.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 08:50 AM PST

    I have many different animals come and go from my garden and I would like alerts when they come in so we can watch them. What is the best camera for this?

    submitted by /u/jt663
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I buy *only* a bracket for a car mount for my phone?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 08:31 AM PST

    I have this car mount and I enjoy it a lot! However, I use one part in my car and want to give my sister the other. Where can I but just the bracket as opposed to getting a whole other set of 4 parts?

    submitted by /u/birbnerb
    [link] [comments]

    Non-USB Connected Webcam for Live Streaming?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 07:45 AM PST

    My wife is a fitness instructor and wants to live stream herself via Zoom to her clients as our city instituted in-person restrictions again. I'd like to be able to wall mount a webcam that can be plugged into power but doesn't need any other connections as I need to be able to control the Zoom meeting from my laptop in another room. When I google "wireless webcams" I get a lot of results about security cameras, but I'm not sure if these will work with Zoom? We have strong Wifi in the house and my laptop is bluetooth capable.

    Can anyone recommend something that will work for no more than $100 USD as I am hoping this is a temporary situation?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/eberger3
    [link] [comments]

    Why do monitors tend to have lower contrasts to TVs?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 07:23 AM PST

    Monitors usually stay around 1000:1 contrast ratio regardless of the price, while lower end 4K TVs are at least above 3000:1. Why is this and why don't we see monitors with higher contrasts that 1000:1 more mainstreamed like TVs?

    submitted by /u/Confesar-
    [link] [comments]

    How does the SOC design of Apple's M1 compares to conventional CPU design?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 07:22 AM PST

    Hi, new here, I'm not sure how technical the questions here generally are, but I'm curious. I want to know how the design of the M1, integrating the RAM and graphics onto the single chip, compares to conventional designs from AMD and Intel, where they are separate.

    In particular, is there some incredible benefit from the integration that conventional design cannot match (more in terms of performance rather than say user upgradability), or is it more a pros ad cons question?

    Please bear in mind that I'm not an engineer, so using more laymen terms and explanations will be helpful.

    submitted by /u/Rice_Daddy
    [link] [comments]

    VPN in my main router.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 06:21 AM PST

    Hi everyone. I want to have all my devices in my home connected to a vpn network. So have have a few questions 1. Is it easy to setup a router with a vpn? Im not really a noob but after some google, not much helpfull results show up. 2. What is the best vpn? I've seen a lot of nordvpn but I don't know what really is the best vpn.

    That's about it. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/TILimnotrich
    [link] [comments]

    My digital thermometer shows two different temperature readings. What do they mean?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 05:12 AM PST

    I bought a digital thermometer. Here it is. It shows two different temperature readings: IN and OUT. What does each of them measure?

    submitted by /u/dodli
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment