• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 20, 2020

    Tech Support - I'm super torn between using the Samsung eco-system, and the Apple eco-system. I can't decide which one to use.

    Tech Support - I'm super torn between using the Samsung eco-system, and the Apple eco-system. I can't decide which one to use.


    I'm super torn between using the Samsung eco-system, and the Apple eco-system. I can't decide which one to use.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    So I've always owned cheap Android phones... Moto G, Blu, Umidigi, and to be honest Blu and Umidigi kind of suck. I'm pretty tired of buying <$200 phones, and so I'm probably going to buy a ~$500 phone sometime soon.

    Here's my problem: I bought my very first Apple product -an iPad- about a year ago, mainly to use for writing. I knew the Apple Pencil was good tech, but I honestly kind of underestimated how much I would like my iPad overall. I like it so much, I kind of want to buy an iPad Pro now haha.

    Anyway, I'm in a weird spot where I use my iPad, a windows PC, and a shitty Umidigi phone every day. I use Google Drive and I email myself constantly to transfer files around between all of them. I'm tempted to use just one 'ecosystem' as Samsung calls it, and I'm thinking I'll switch all the way to Samsung, or all the way to Apple. I've never really used all the same brand, but I'd like to give it a shot and see the benefits. I mean iCloud isn't super useful to me beyond backups since I only have one Apple device haha. Basically, I'd replace my iPad with a Tab s7, replace my Umidigi with one of their S20 series phones, and then probably buy a Samsung Gear (right now I use a Garmin 35, and it's ok, but I'd like a real smart watch).

    OR, I could buy an iPhone SE or whatever generation is selling for ~$500 right now (I guess the 8 plus or a renewed XR or something), Apple Watch, iPad Pro someday, and maybe someday a Macbook.

    Anyway, my Umidigi phone is going out, and I need to replace it soon. So I need to decide if I should buy an iPhone or Galaxy. Then I'll just slowly shift into the respective eco system.

    Pros of Samsung- my whole family uses Samsung, so there will be compatibility and stuff that will be nice (No Apple Messenger or whatever). I do some coding, and Android actually kind of supports coding, whereas Apple Appstore doesn't. I think that you get more computing power for less money with Samsung versus Apple. Also, I game, and so I don't think I'd ever buy a Macbook, so it might be better to stick with Samsung. Samsung Tab s6/7 having Dex is also a huge pro.

    Pros of Apple- I'm assuming Apple Pencil is better than the S pen, and I write a lot. But if the S pen is pretty good for note taking and drafting and stuff, then this isn't such a hang up. I haven't used an Android tablet in years, so I'm not sure I'd like it. Whereas I know that I love my iPad.

    I'm a little bit poor, so I can't make this shift all at once- it will take a few years. I just need to know which direction I should actually go...

    submitted by /u/FingernailYanker
    [link] [comments]

    Why use a secure eraser app to permanently erase data when you can just fill your memory storage with random files and erase it yourself?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 04:01 AM PDT

    I heard when you delete files, they are not really deleted. They're still there but you cannot access them anymore. They get permanently deleted when a new file randomly overwrites them. This is how file shredders/secure erase apps work. They fill up empty storage with random 1s and 0s to permanently delete files. Wouldn't filling my storage with random files and erasing them do the same trick?

    submitted by /u/schrodingerscat15
    [link] [comments]

    What is a tech jargon everyone should know about but no one is talking about it?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 03:47 AM PDT

    I love learning about technology and I am curious about what Tech Jargon majority of the population is not averse with at the moment but they should be knowing it (be it to be ready for future). Can you help me out or give me a direction towards it?

    submitted by /u/n00b_in_everything
    [link] [comments]

    Unknown Process: Safe Cohalo

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 01:40 AM PDT

    I think I got it from a Trojan, even though I declined it the program installed it anyways

    https://www.autoclicker.org/ is where I got this and various other useless and potentially dangerous programs from.

    Neither McAfee 30-day test version nor Windows Defender recognised it.

    I can't remove it either, it always says: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in SafeCohalo."

    When I kill it using Task Manager, it just relaunches and I still can't delete it. Anyone got any Ideas on how to fix that? I also got a ton of other rubbish on here I think

    [EDIT:] I managed to delete it.

    Just go to Task Manager,

    right-click Safe Cohalo,

    go to properties,

    then permissions/security.

    In there, press the "Advanced" button, then try out random combinations of buttons until one of them empties the Table in the middle of the page.

    Now right-click "Safe Cohalo" in Task Manager and

    go to "Open File Location".

    Then minimise the File Explorer window for now.

    Next, you wanna go back to Task Manager and press "End Task" for Safe Cohalo. It now won't relaunch.

    Back in the File Explorer, right-click SafeCohalo.

    Then head to "Properties" > "Security" > "Advanced".

    There you wanna press the "Add" button below the now empty table.

    Then, press the First link on the very top of the window.

    Type "Everyone" into the 3rd Space (the only one you can write in I think).

    Then press Apply or so.

    Now you gotta tick the "Full Control" button so you'll be able to control the file again.

    Afterwards you just gotta press "Apply", "Okay", then okay again or so and delete the "SafeCohalo" application in the File Explorer.

    Be sure to also remove its Parent Folder, just in case that one contains rubbish as well.

    Idrk how I found this out I just clicked buttons and it worked somehow. Hope I can help somebody someday with this lmao

    submitted by /u/Explosive_Ananas
    [link] [comments]

    Security Cam/Doorbell Cam recommendations?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I am looking for a security camera recommendation for my Mother's home. I'd like to get a doorbell cam and a security cam for her backyard. She understands the need to do this but is hesitant "I don't want that stuff on the internet" etc. She is a reasonable person and uses a cell phone daily, so is no stranger to technology. I am sure I can sell her on a brand if there aren't any monthly fees and she see/control/have access to her date relatively easily.

    I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation? That tech is brand new to me... I am looking at a Wyze cam for the back yard. Their doorbell model isn't out yet I guess?

    Thanks a bunch for the advice!

    submitted by /u/misterdudebro
    [link] [comments]

    WHAT is "meta data" and is it on the old flash drives i gave away?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    Any way to host on Remote Desktop as a Windows 10 Home PC?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 05:03 PM PDT

    I have this old Microsoft tablet that has that Windows version that sucks ass (The one that can only use apps from the store) and I would like to give it a functionality using Remote Desktop, but I have the Home edition on my PC so I'm screwed. Would appreciate it if someone could tell me a way to do it.

    submitted by /u/ADRBT
    [link] [comments]

    My Scarlett Solo's Inputs Make Buzzing and Chirping Noises.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    When I'm recording or listening over direct monitor, I hear these buzzing and chirping noises. The problem only happens on this computer. I've tried using different surge protectors, cables and psu/battery backups, but nothing has working. These sounds happen on the other PC in my house, but not the unplug laptop which makes me think it is a grounding issue. The sounds are very similar to having your phone on a guitar pickup, but my phone is nowhere near. This all makes my think that the issue is coming from my PC and that it is cause by some sort of interference from the CPU or Hard Drive maybe. If you guys think you have a solution, let me know. Thank you!

    This is the sound. https://soundcloud.com/adrian_lentz/sound/s-AZb36uu3t5B

    It is most noticable when I turn the gain up and INST on for the second input.

    Picture of the Scarlett Solo, if you don't know what I mean:

    https://media.guitarcenter.com/is/image/MMGS7//Scarlett-Solo-USB-Audio-Interface-Gen-3/L56573000000000-00-1600x1600.jpg

    submitted by /u/sleeslpinslne
    [link] [comments]

    How can emails be authenticated?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    This is not an attempt to start a political discussion. It seems like it should have been fairly easy for the NYPost to verify the authenticity of the emails using the header information. Is this not the case? Why can we not get a confirmation on why these are authentic or not?

    submitted by /u/ZaxRod
    [link] [comments]

    How much battery bluetooth drains?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    So I plan on buying the smart watch and I am wondering how much would battery drain on both phone and watch if they are always paired?

    Did someone did some comparisons?

    submitted by /u/daxsm
    [link] [comments]

    Are m.2 ssd's faster than sata ssd's enough to make it worth the money?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    Moto g6 volume way too loud even on lowest

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    I've seen a lot of people complaining about this on the internet, and i could not find a single solution to this. Precise volume was one, but it doesnt work anymore because for some reason motorola decided yea fuck this one model and everyone that bought it everyone is gonna hear what they are trying to listen to, it's fucking bullshit

    submitted by /u/nine_thousands
    [link] [comments]

    Making my own wifi?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    Walkie talkies work and transmit information through air for no cost. Why can I not just take that tech and use it to make a wifi like network - is this not possible? Understand latency and ibandwidth issues but is there a way to have a server that transmits text data upon request to people within 1 mile at no cost like a walkie talkie? Is there better tech than walkie talkie and what would be issues setting this up e.g if I wanted to have server that can send text data upon request to people within a mile of me - would that be possible. What tools would I need for this and what would I need to learn?

    submitted by /u/theboi2020
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if charger stopped charging my phone but all others work?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 01:48 PM PDT

    Soo my favourite charger doesn't charge my phone anymore..

    I changed wire which was the same as the one this charger has and nothing really

    Yet when I turn on to charge my phone with my ps4 that is connect from the same wall socket,it works and charges my phone..

    What do I do?

    submitted by /u/Clusterwatch
    [link] [comments]

    Suggest me best workout app dumble

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    Please tell me a good free add supported workout app that I can progress with and choose excwcises like one day for shoulder other for leg other for chest and have a six day workout available and be able to progress to tougher excecise or change ezcercises as well

    submitted by /u/Stroov
    [link] [comments]

    Please help my old man figure out a good system for portable data storage and backup.

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    I apologize in advance for the long post. My 65yr old dad owns a small recycling business (~30 employees) and oversees all aspects of the company's daily operations; in other words, it is very difficult for him to delegate responsibility, and there are only two other employees who have any sort of management or administrative responsibilities. His livelihood is highly dependent on the technology he uses, and while he is obsessive about his work files, it generally comes down to barely-controlled chaos on a day-to-day basis.

    He has two laptops and an HP All-in-One desktop, all of which he uses daily. He is the type of person that is pathologically running late for everything, and his commute to work is unfortunately dictated by a ferry schedule. He will often be sitting at his home office or work office, realize he has 10 minutes to catch the ferry, think to himself "shit, I don't have time to save or back all these files up" and somehow decide that the most efficient option is for him to physically load up the desktop and/or both laptops into his vehicle. He does this on a daily basis despite having a condition in his leg that forces him to use a walking stick; he has ruined at least 3 computers because he stumbles and drops them in the process of carrying them to/from his car. Like I said, it's insanity, it makes no sense to anyone.

    I am posting on here in the hopes of getting some input on an alternate system for him to transport his files between computers/offices, without having to fear that he's going to lose his data. Did I mention that he is also notorious for losing things like car keys and cell phones?

    My hope is that when he sees he has 10 minutes to catch a ferry, he doesn't have to worry about hitting save on a dozen different spreadsheets and he can just unplug the hard drive and go. I have recommended that he get an external hard drive but I'm not sure what the best option would be for him, considering that he would most likely need to have some sort of automatic backup to cloud-based storage and that he would need to save files while working on multiple computers at once.

    Ideally, he would have a set-up that allows him to keep his desktop at work and his laptops at home (or vice versa), using a portable hard drive that a) could be carried between the two on his commute, b) would automatically be backed up to the cloud, and c) if possible, would automatically save files to the hard drive as he worked on them.

    Are there external hard drives that can have two devices plugged into them at once? Are there any suggestions for placing a tracking device on the hard drive, in case he lost it?

    Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you very much for your help!

    submitted by /u/plainmorninglo
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless Mouse USB

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    So, I bet the answer to this is 'no', but just in case: I can't find the USB dongle for my wireless mouse. I must have left it somewhere going around working on my laptop. I would hate to ditch this mouse as it still functions well, is pretty and was a present from my boyfriend (I think). Is there any chance that a separate USB plugin thing could be added?

    submitted by /u/KassXWolfXTigerXFox
    [link] [comments]

    I need spam on my email

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    soo there is a thing
    tomorrow i have classes and i need to send a report of analyzing spam messages
    do you have any websites to recive spam form??
    my email: [tracz@opoczta.pl](mailto:tracz@opoczta.pl)

    submitted by /u/PlzIneedSPAM
    [link] [comments]

    My mic works with my phone but not with my laptop

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I just bought this mic on amazone

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DISDIM-Microphone-Condenser-Recording-Smartphone/dp/B0719CHFLS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mic&qid=1603099776&sr=8-2

    It's a standard condenser mic.

    I tried it with my phone and it's work really well but with my laptop (an MSI from 2019 with windows 10 and realtek audio) it works but the volume is so low! I have to amplify twice in audacity to hear something!

    (And I tried other soft it is not just audacity)

    I look it up on internet and I didn't find anything to solve my pb

    This is what I tried :

    - Microphone boost in ampliphy property

    - Disable every access to microphone execpt audacity and discord

    - Disable the reduction of other sound in the communication tab of the sound settings

    If you have any other way to solve my pb I'll take it!

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Laoil
    [link] [comments]

    Up Until the Xbox Era, An Entire Video Game took up much far far faaaar less disk space than a single movie or TV episode and even smaller mediums like music were far larger in bytes size than most video games made before the PSX era. What is the reason?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    I am watching some old VCDs of Japanese live TV shows and movies I found in a flee markets. One film was around 700 MB which surprised me because its larger than the first Resident Evil game which was around 450 MB in space. This also reminds me when I watched The Fellowship of the Ring which was almost 10 GB on its original DVD release just the film disc alone while other games at the time of release like Halo took 1 Disc, the size of a typical non-special edition middle budget film like Scream and the newest release like KOTOR took 4 disc and a total of around 5 GB installed in my PC and Halo 2 DVD disc on PC says 7 GB space used. Which is still small compared to the average big budget box office hit released on DVD at the time like Kingdom of Heaven and The Passion of Christ.

    Hell comparing old comic book issues and music I purchased at itunes, a single issue of The Punisher in 1988 takes up 2 MB, more than 3X original The Legend of Zelda takes up when converted to digital data from the original cartridges. A single Itunes music track in MP3 format typically takes up 5 MB worth of space in downloading, the size of a typical moderate size SNES game.

    Even home family movies converted to disc from video casette often take up over a 100 MB for 45 mins while spending a jog at a park and thats not even the length of the typical home vid I have at home from the 80s and 90s.

    Its only starting in the 7th generation did individual video games begin to far surpass typical big budget DVD movies and TV show episodes, PS3 and Xbox 360 games surpassing the entirety of all the season DVD box sets combined for a single long-running TV show like Friends.

    So I am curious why other mediums were far larger in file size than gaming for a very long time? I am surprised how downloading a single episode of Twin Peaks on Netflix to your Ipod takes up over 250 mb which is larger than the original Tomb Raider was and is not that smaller in size than later PSX games like Spyro.

    Why did a DVD copy of the original home release of The Matrix hold much more space than the OG Xbox disc of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and many other games released in the PS2 era? Why even illegal DVD rips that you can download online or buy at a flee-market that degrade the original movie's quality still take up around 700 MB, larger than many early PS2 and most Dreamcast game?

    I mean I am amazed how much space my 100% legal purchases from Amazon prime is taking up on my phone's micro SD card for a single season! The Fresh Prince of Bel Air alone took up a quarter of my 256 micro SD card's space after I purchased the show on Amazon and I had to delete each episode as I watched through the show to make up space on my phone. The same amount of space which I later used to buy some retro Sega games legally on itunes on my phone after finishing up the show and deleted it.

    So I am curious.

    submitted by /u/CaptainRyuk
    [link] [comments]

    Whats the difference between these 2 portable monitors

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    submitted by /u/letmethinkabit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment