• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 14, 2020

    Tech Support - How to digitize 8mm video cassette tapes

    Tech Support - How to digitize 8mm video cassette tapes


    How to digitize 8mm video cassette tapes

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:53 PM PDT

    Hello!!

    My dad dumped these on me to figure out 🙃 I have a bunch of old family videos on 8mm HG Maxwell 120 min video cassette tapes and I'd very much like to digitize them and share them with my family for Christmas. I found a place that will do it for me but it's like 30$ + a tape ... and I have my entire childhood to digitize

    I can play it on my TV with the AV (yellow red white cord) but idk how to record it and I tried recording the TV with my camera but it looks terrible!!

    Someone told me about a capture card I can get for my computer but they weren't sure if it would work

    submitted by /u/ninasa1122
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to find some information on old Microsoft fonts

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    tl;dr Can anyone get me a screenshot of the alphabet using the font Wingdings 1 Version 2.00?

    I wanted to use the Wingdings 1 font from Microsoft Office for a thumbs up, a capital C. The thumb tip seemed really pointy to me so I started looking at the rest of the characters and all the fingers looked a lot more pointy than I remembered. I did some quick research on the versions of this font and found this:

    Vista 5.00 XP 2.55 2000 2.55 Win98 2nd Edition 2.55 Win98 2.50 Win95 2.00 Win3.1 1.00

    Now I'm wondering when they made this change or if the fingers always had that little point, but my monitor resolution in the 90s was just so poor that I couldn't tell either way. I've done some digging and couldn't find a database of older versions of fonts so I suppose the only way is to use an older version of Windows!

    Can anyone get me a screenshot of the alphabet using the old Wingdings font? Possibly if you already have a virtual machine for Windows 95 or maybe you just have an old rig running Windows 98 or something.

    I know it's a strange request but it would be very much appreciated.

     abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ !@#$%^&*() ,./<>?:";' 
    submitted by /u/farting_
    [link] [comments]

    My aptop will only connect to mobile hotspot when its plugged in

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:39 AM PDT

    I´m having an issue with my laptop connecting to my mobile hotspot. It used to always work just fine but for like 3 months my laptop will only connect to my mobile hotspot when my phone is plugged into the laptop.

    I only have 2 USB holes and I need them both, but now I am one short because I always have to plug in my phone to have internet access (Wi-Fi in my room is shit)

    So how do I make my laptop connect to my mobile hotspot wirelessly again? (both my laptop and phone have the newest updates installed).

    submitted by /u/Wardt-
    [link] [comments]

    Do data miners gain anything, or just do it for the love of the game they play?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:51 PM PDT

    Does a "USB C" switch exist?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    I have two laptops, each with a usb C port. I use a jcreate 5 dock to connect to each laptop. The dock is connected to a bunch of peripheral devices.

    My concern is having to switch the usb C cable from the dock between each laptop over and over. I feel like I am slowly wearing out the ports.

    Is there a usb C "switch" that can toggle between two devices?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/hairy_cankles
    [link] [comments]

    Why is volume leveling seemingly difficult?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:48 PM PDT

    Few things irritate me more than watching something and then a super loud ad comes on blasting my ears. Youtube videos are all over the place with sound volume. I try to fall asleep to a playlist and get blasted awake to the next video playing insanely loud . Also, some videos even seem to have one channel much louder which is irritating. Movies with loud action scenes and soft dialogue. It seems like with all the technology and software we have nowadays this would be solved by now. I know my TV has some sort of setting for this that I do have on but it seems to do little to help. What makes volume leveling so hard?

    submitted by /u/blove135
    [link] [comments]

    TV selection help

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    Family room TV help

    Any Tv geeks in here? Considering either the Samsung Q60T QLED vs Sony X900H. Want to stay right under 1000$ and get a 65 inch

    Thoughts? Any other superior options? How is the android system on Sony's? All apps available?

    Will mostly be used for movies / Tv but also PS5 when not on my gaming monitor

    submitted by /u/Bosoxfan0708
    [link] [comments]

    Where to Find Super Small GPS Chips

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:34 PM PDT

    So I am very uneducated in this field, so let me know if this is a dumb request - I came up with an idea on something to build, and to do it I need a super small GPS chip - like smaller than a quarter. Is there a place I can buy on of these? All help appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/xkaiiro
    [link] [comments]

    Started in strategy consulting and need a recommendation on a book or resource related to technology transfer?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    My question has two parts:

    1. I want to know if "Economics of Strategy" by Besanko is any good?
    2. Can you recommend a book or resource related to technology transfer?
    submitted by /u/snan1
    [link] [comments]

    Record only audio coming from computer?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    I'm trying to find a software or method that records only the sounds the computer is making, like if watching a YouTube video only the YouTube video audio, not whatever is going on in the background of my room. I've used cok audio but it's recording me hitting the keyboard and General white noise.

    submitted by /u/N1ghtW1ng7
    [link] [comments]

    Usb C hub question

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    Hi, I have a question regarding usb C hubs that I haven't been able to find an answer to.

    I was thinking about getting a non-powered USB-C hub for my android phone. The hub would be connected by USB C to the host phone. I would connect an Xbox controller with a USB micro port to a USB-A port on the hub to provide power to the controller and to give it an indirect connection with the phone.

    The question I have is essentially: if the hub has a client USB-C PD port, can I connect that port to a USB port connected to an electric socket to draw power from the wall to give to my host android phone and my Xbox controller?

    Essentially I'm trying to create a set up where I can charge my phone while also having a controller wired so as to reduce lag for Xcloud and to eventually also connect the entire thing by HDMI to a monitor.

    It's seems to be kind of a niche usage and it's a bit hard for a non-native speaker to explain so please tell me if I need to clarify anything and thanks for any answers.

    submitted by /u/Altruistic-Buffalo95
    [link] [comments]

    Help choosing a Video Editor.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Hey, I've got a laptop with the specs listed at this link. I already know it's not great, but are there any opensource video editors I could run on this?

    submitted by /u/bigruckonline
    [link] [comments]

    Forwarding inbound calls to a phone number to more than 1x phone.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:56 PM PDT

    Hi, so we have this situation with our extremely basic call center set-up.

    The number used by the call center belongs to a SIM embedded in a certain phone. Both the call center staff simply took turns attending to the phone.

    However, now both of them are working from home. Since only 1 of them can physically hold the phone, we need a way to divert the incoming calls to other devices.

    Is there a solution that would help for this? One other restriction we're working with is that both staff members do not have the most stable internet connections.

    TL;DR Need to forward only inbound calls that come to a SIM card to multiple devices. Solution ideally should not be heavily internet reliant.

    submitted by /u/Lostwhispers05
    [link] [comments]

    I had about 20 tabs open on google chrome and my internet started to load slowly, why is it going slow even though I have 16gb RAM on my computer?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    In other words, shouldn't 16gb ram be enough to handle 20 tabs being open without the computer slowing down.

    submitted by /u/Nesquick19
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook Video Chat Backgrounds?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    So Facebook Video chat can now display entire new backgrounds behind you, even when not just using the camera on your face. I don't know if it is doing it with Chroma Key (Green screen) tech or whats up but if Facebook Video chat can do it, how can we access similar software for making video/video blogs/etc without using a green screen?

    submitted by /u/tsotsi98
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a golden zone for Computer Performance and heat output?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    Hello techies. Ive tried google and its hard to put it into words without getting other things.

    I was wondering. Since computer parts have a temp operation range if they had a golden zone Like You get it to a small range lets say for the sake of an example Its 35-40c That the golden zone is. where it will perform at its best possible rate with The perfect balance of heat output. (no overclocking just base).

    Is there something like that for computers or is it just heck its in its operation range thats the best you can get without over clocking?

    submitted by /u/MitchyItchy
    [link] [comments]

    Is LTE latency good enough for remote desktop?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:12 PM PDT

    I am looking at the purchase of a home that is 2.5 km from a cell phone tower (no obstructions in the line of sight that I can see) offering LTE internet to the home via an antenna attached to the side of the home. It says 1900 MHz (5M) and 2100 (5M and 10M) MHz on that tower.

    Is the latency good enough for RDP connections where the mouse and keyboard latency to the remote machine (assume in a major cloud provider like AWS or Azure) will be OK? I work from home a lot, and really need good latency for fast keyboard and mouse response times on a remote machine that I am expected to do work on all day.

    I realize Google indicates the latency but in real life is that true? It's from Bell Canada btw.

    Also they cap at 350 GB of data per month, is that enough for 8 hours a day of VPN usage where the main activity is RDP?

    p.s. There is no other Internet to that location, just this tower.

    submitted by /u/Professional_Cow3576
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on DVD to Flashdrive

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    The Office and Parks and Rec will be removed from Netflix in the coming months, so I was thinking of ordering DVD sets of both for my fiance and burning them onto a flash drive to watch.

    I'm wondering if anyone thinks this is a bad idea.

    We have no DVD readers (game console or otherwise), and even if we did it sounds like switching between 40 discs would be inconvenient in the age of streaming. Would a flash drive work better for this?

    submitted by /u/StoneyXC
    [link] [comments]

    I NEED help

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    So recently I was going through some stuff and I was on google and went to website called A2B2.org and later my friend said it could be a website where they get your personal data/address just by going to the website please if anyone knows how to check tell me if it is or not so I know what to do next. My anxiety is sky rocketing

    submitted by /u/AITA_throwaway11703
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe to buy a huawei laptop?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    I live in the UK but considering the situation with huawei I wanted to ask if huawei's laptops would be limited if I bought one, for example would I still be able to access Google services with it? Or, if I did buy it (and it is fine) then is there a possibility for it to become affected in the future?

    submitted by /u/MissAnonym_us
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting an old iMac to my Macbook as a Monitor

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 03:43 PM PDT

    I have a late 2009 27 Inch iMac with a mini display port on the back. I also have an early 2015 MacBook pro with thunderbolt ports.

    I want to use my iMac as an external monitor for my MacBook pro.

    What cord do I need? Having issues. Thanks in advance! (:

    submitted by /u/___vizzini___
    [link] [comments]

    When to upgrade cable modem?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    I've realized I haven't upgraded my cable modem in the better part of a decade and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to do so. I'm currently using a 2011 Arris SB6121 4x4 with 80mbps service from Comcast. Internet speed test shows I'm doing 86mbps so at first glance appears to still be performing just fine. Would there be any benefit to getting something newer?

    submitted by /u/joshk114
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 plus question... Is it worth the price? Plus other questions...

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    I want to eventually get a tablet for drawing and commissions. I currently draw everything on my phone. Used to be a moto e5 plus but it is now the galaxy a21 as of the beginning of last month. Here are some of my pieces i'm happy with http://imgur.com/a/MQbDddA. Anyway I've been wanting to get a bigger screen for drawing since forever.

    Why? Because I've always thought screen tablets have more room for wiggle room. More space for drawing. My phone screen is something like 6×3 inch where as the tab s7 screen is something like 12.4inch× idk. Anyways, it's more than twice the size. I also think it's supposed to have higher quality display than a phone.

    But I've never been able to decide in the past because no tablet has ever caught my attention until this one and because I also decided I want to make money from art and finally opened up commissions 3 months ago. But I'm also very frugal. I've never purchased something as expensive as this or more before, other than my car. This device costs more than what I pay for rent.....

    I also don't own a computor, a T.V. or a laptop and never have. And I heard that you could attach a keyboard to this tablet. And my questions are more related to this...

    I already know I want this tablet for art...and my question for that is, is it worth it? I also heard that this tablet can compete with the Ipad pro, would you agree? Why or why not? And I don't have a T.V., computor, or a laptop. Is this tablet able to replace all of those things? How good is it for watching things like crunchyroll and netflix? How is it for computor related stuff? I don't own a computor, or laptop, so an additiona question... If this can not replace a computor or laptop, what is it that computors and laptops do that this tablet can not compete with? Also if I were to purchase this, where could I buy one?

    In the end, I mostly want the tablet for the touch screen, size, pen, and display, specifically for art purposes. But I am also curious how it does with these questions above, because I dunno if digital art is a good enough reason to justify purchasing this tablet along with the keyboard at the price it is currently going for. Or is it?

    Thank you for your consideration of my questions! And if you have any vital information I should consider please feel free to share. Much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Nefsart
    [link] [comments]

    Why are microsoft applications not so much better?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    This is something I just dont get. Microsoft is a tech giant, with endless cash. Why are their applications still so dated and clunky and old fashioned compared to even free web based apps? Surely they know what is current? Even the default colour settings on the highlighter tool on word for example are like something from 1995. I just dont get it.

    submitted by /u/LL112
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment