• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 19, 2020

    Tech Support - Does a local disk C: function the same way as a regular hard drive? If so, can I just transfer it to a new PC and keep all the data?

    Tech Support - Does a local disk C: function the same way as a regular hard drive? If so, can I just transfer it to a new PC and keep all the data?


    Does a local disk C: function the same way as a regular hard drive? If so, can I just transfer it to a new PC and keep all the data?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    I have two old PCs that are basically dying and won't boot up anymore. I just want to save the files located in their C: drives. Can I just ask the technician to transfer and install the C: drives (the ones with the User files, Desktop files, etc.) to my functioning PC so I don't have to have them repaired/reset, or is it more complicated than that?

    EDIT: To be more specific, the first PC is a Windows 7, there shouldn't be a problem transferring hard drives to a Windows 10 right?

    submitted by /u/nitrodax_exmachina
    [link] [comments]

    Do iCloud backups survive across devices?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 10:16 PM PDT

    Now that I've had my new phone for a year, could I access a backup that was made on my old phone still?

    submitted by /u/KDGOAT3535
    [link] [comments]

    HELP

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 02:24 AM PDT

    I have a question about a TV please answer.

    So I was looking at a new Vizio tv the m8 series for the new lineup that has hdmi 2.1. So it says it has DYNAMIC MOTION RATE 120 but variable refresh rate to 48HZ-60HZ.

    Do I get 120fps with this tv? Or what FPS would I get

    submitted by /u/I-Said-Leave
    [link] [comments]

    RGB strips

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 02:24 AM PDT

    Dont know if this is the right subreddit for this. I'm currently looking for a good RGB light strip that reacts to my music installation or my guitar amp. I've seen some strips like the Govee stuff, but they seem a bit cheap. Does anybody know a good RGB strip that has some good effects that uses a microphone. Im willing too spend some good money on it (my budget is around 100 bucks)

    submitted by /u/loaf-o-beans
    [link] [comments]

    Help VLAN switch - is it worth it?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I've found an inexpensive TP-Link Switch with VLAN so I thought it's finally time for a little upgrade on my home network. My network will look like this.

    There are a few things I'd like to understand first so your advice would be really useful:

    1. Is it even worth it security-wise given that all wired traffic is regarded as coming from the same LAN by the router? As far as I understand, I'd say Yes because by default PCs will only "trust" other PCs in the same (V)LAN, where an IoT device would be just another device over the Internet for a PC. It would be a better separation than connecting them all together to the router.
    2. Is it possible to deny the Printer VLAN access to the router (thus the Internet) but only open a certain port for the PCs VLAN?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Ok_Cycle_8007
    [link] [comments]

    My Acer drive changed after I installed an cracked app

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    I had a video workshop conference a while ago about qualitative research and the speaker sent us a google drive link to download a cracked version of MaxQDA 10 to use during the conference. After the conference, I noticed that my C: Drive has changed its name and icon to MaxQDA 10. I tried uninstalling the program and renaming the drive but it nothing's working. Can someone kindly explain to me what's happening and how I can fix it?

    As a sidenote, it's fairly common here in Asia for conferences/workshops programs to distribute cracked software for the purposes of participating, or at least that's what I've experienced here.

    submitted by /u/aBRaMeN
    [link] [comments]

    Is DSL the new dial up and are there any other options for internet in a rural area in 2020?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 09:06 AM PDT

    I'm going to apologize in advance, I've got no clue what I'm doing here.

    Our internet has been out for 3 weeks and all of my housemates need it for work/school/business. Neighbors have had the same and worse issues in years past. We've been skating by on moblie hotspots but this is becoming a problem. We're out in a rural area but it's never been this bad.

    We've been as patient as possible. I get the increased network load and reduced man power due to COVID but this has been an issue since we've had internet in 2012 (?).

    There are exposed cables next to us (that are frequently submerged in water) that they haven't hung back up and we've repeatedly told them about. But that's a whole other bucket of lampreys. The reps now just give us the runaround ("have you plugged in the router?" type questions) and continue to send bills whether we've gotten a months service or not.

    It used to be a quick call would get them to reset the router internally, we'd sign back in, and all would be good until the third thunderstorm or so. Now it's more like a hostage negotiation. Pretty sure H (housemate that handles business) has gotten a new patch of grey after dealing with them this week.

    As it turns out, they don't have anyone specialized in DSL in our area anymore.

    Uverse wont work in our area. No Xfinity.

    No one else offers service down here except Hughes Net and some other sketchy companies.

    At the moment they're working to repair whatever is wrong. Turns out it's area wide network failure. Been seeing more ATT trucks around that ever this week. We're waiting on the call to set up. They'll get back to us on billing. Meanwhile, I'm cruising for alternative services.

    So I'm putting it to you Reddit. I trust your judgment better than some stressed out rep that's being monitored. Is it just time to find a new means of internet service outside of DSL...somehow? It it just the company or its compounded by bad circumstances?

    We're at our wits end.

    submitted by /u/Gridlock_626
    [link] [comments]

    Synapse X

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    I bought synapse X on PayPal about 2 hours ago and I still haven't got my key, what can I do?

    submitted by /u/Alexanderhough10
    [link] [comments]

    USB Battery - Auto On

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    I need a USB Lithium battery pack for travel that plugs into my luggage and only powers on when a device is plugged into the extension usb cable that's part of the luggage. Any suggestions or even what to search for?

    Edit- Battery Backup that powers on when device is plugged in to usb extension cord and not the device itself.

    submitted by /u/dnhf
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of Reg-MSI_Inventory.exe?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    So a few days ago I got this from my free antivirus AVG this information that Reg-MSI_Inventory.exe has been moved to quarantine and keeps reapearing how do I permanently remove it?

    submitted by /u/MartiNwithanM
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to prevent certain pages from popping up on google search?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    The down-low is that I have someone breathing on my neck, and they might ask me to google something specific. Me, knowing what they're looking for, and wanting to keep it hidden for a little while longer, can I prevent a few pages from showing up on my search results on google? And, obviously, only on my computer.

    submitted by /u/cartman101
    [link] [comments]

    Is a VPN just hype or necessary these days?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 09:01 AM PDT

    Non tech guy here and consider myself an average technology user. I've noticed a lot of advertisements and press about VPN's and considering a service. Am I being paranoid or is this a worth wild investment?

    submitted by /u/Eructman
    [link] [comments]

    GPU 0%

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 06:09 AM PDT

    So, I've recently installed windows 10 on this pc and my integrated GPU doesn't seem to want to do anything. I can load a video game, play a movie, go on YouTube and still it sits at 0%.

    My CPU often hits the 100% mark doing stuff I feel like it shouldn't be (since it clocks in at 3.4ghz).
    Windows recognizes the GPU is there. I've done the auto-updater for drivers. Still nothing.

    Any ideas on what this could be?

    Tech Specs:

    CPU: AMD A4-5300 Trinity Dual-Core 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W AD5300OKHJBOX Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 ...
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7480D (INTEGRATED)
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS F2A55-M LK PLUS FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    RAM: Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
    SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 250GB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E250B/AM
    PSU: EVGA 430 W1, 80+ WHITE 430W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0430-KR, Black

    submitted by /u/draken2019
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop Hunt Budget US$1330

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 05:09 AM PDT

    I am pretty noob at understanding what specs will give a better performance, so can you guys help me hunt down the best laptop for me?

    Budget: ₹ 1,00,000 (US$ 1330)

    I can afford to go a lil bit up but every penny above it will crush my soul a little.

    Purpose: I do all sorts of software engineering tasks (I work as a researcher in software development, noob), ranging from mobile app development to machine learning.

    I want to buy a laptop which is fast. af. And I don't want to pay for windows since I am going to install other OSs anyways.

    The advice I seek:

    • Any laptop you think will be suitable for me
    • Is SSD worth it? "I haven't worked with SSD yet, sed luife :("
    • I know graphics cards are cool with processing huge operations, but it is only as good as the programmer is, the last laptop I bought just had the intel integrated graphics and for my machine learning projects I struggled with using the multicores properly. So can graphics cards be an effective give and take?
    submitted by /u/skylarkReddit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment