• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 29, 2020

    Tech Support - Curious question guys!

    Tech Support - Curious question guys!


    Curious question guys!

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:47 AM PDT

    So I have 3, 3.0 USB ports on my gaming laptop. Anyways I am planning on streaming and need 1 additional port. These are what needs a USB: 1. Capture card 2. Mouse 3. Webcam 4. Audio interface/microphone.

    So I plan on getting a USB 3.0 port(3 additional ports). My question to you guys is, I plan on plugging the mouse to the port, but will using the USB port with either my webcam, capture card, microphone affect the quality ? Is there going to be a noticeable difference between using a USB port and using a direct laptop usb connection?

    Thanks in advance guys!

    submitted by /u/Yoooniceeee
    [link] [comments]

    How likely is it for someone to track you down based on pictures and snap?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    Soo... Let's say someone posts a few pictures of herself on here. She talks to someone on reddit and gives this person her snap which almost contains her real name, and the person knows in which country she lives. Is it possible for this person to somehow track her down?

    submitted by /u/user4444n
    [link] [comments]

    Socket-able mobile SoCs?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:55 AM PDT

    Why hasnt Snapdragon, MediaTek, or Samsung made their mobile SoCs (or any other mobile parts) socketable? I can understand that parts are relatively small but are there any other restrictions other than that, no immediate market, need to produce mobile mobos and other parts, and want to do so that is keeping development of such parts a reality? I know there were shortages of SD chip production due to demand before, is that also factor?

    I figure the development of such products would create another market for OEMs to tap in to.

    submitted by /u/Stupid_Triangles
    [link] [comments]

    Heads Up Display technology?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 02:44 AM PDT

    So, I want to DIY an HUD. The inspiration being the HUD on fighter jets. From searching around the internet I found several products which promised this but mostly all of them have the same problem i.e. one needs to defocus what's infront of the eye to look at the information provided on the display. This makes it not so seamless.

    From what I have learned, the ones used by the millitary generates image at infinity so whatever they are seeing is in realtime without defocussing what's ahead of them. Can you all please try to explain the tech to me, or link some articles for reference.

    submitted by /u/karna_g
    [link] [comments]

    Micro Stuttering

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Specs:

    CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

    GPU: RTX 2060 ko

    Mobo: B450M steel legend mATX

    PSU: Thermaltake 700w White Certified

    RAM: ballistix 16gb 3200mhz dual channel

    SSD: Silicon Power 1TB

    Monitor: AOC 24G1WG4 144hz 1ms G sync compatible

    I have been occurring massive stutters, micro stutters, and sometimes screen tearing if I change some settings. I have just upgraded my GPU from a Rx570 4gb to a RTX 2060 ko and my games where stuttering so I upgraded my mobo to see if that was the problem because my motherboard was a cheap 50 dollar Mobo, and it got a bit better but didnt fix the problems, Games are unplayable, I have tried countless setting either in Nvidia control panel, Bios, or my game graphic settings, and still cant find a fix, me and my brother have similar specs but I have better ram and a better motherboard, but he has a GTX 1660, and when we put my RTX 2060 in his PC it worked flawlessly. V sync isn't an option because it causes latency, the games I play are competitive and latency can not be tolerated. Another thing I have tried is a different PSU cable to see if the one I had it on was bad, I have watched countless videos, read tons of different articles. I have changed my CPU Frequency scaling index, I have changed my CPU Turbo boost index, I have flushed my cached Ram to see if that helps. I have tried tons of different drivers for my GPU and Mobo. In control panel I have V sync set to fast, it helps but doesn't fix the problem. I use a display port. I have tried overclocking CPU and GPU, help is needed.

    submitted by /u/sumpyyone
    [link] [comments]

    Youtube Video playing while laptop is closed?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 01:37 AM PDT

    Hello. At around 1:00 am, my laptop played a video from youtube. The laptop was closed and has never done this except for now. The tab was open and the video was paused. The lid of the laptop was completely closed and all lights on the side were off. Am I being hacked or is it a problem with my computer itself?

    submitted by /u/KiNG_EXceL04
    [link] [comments]

    LG's TV Refresh Rate : Please Explain

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 12:47 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I was hoping if someone could explain, Why are LG TV limited to 50 Hz?

    This was in the Specs, under Display,

    TruMotion / Refresh Rate TM100 (Refresh Rate 50Hz)

    https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43UK6400PLF

    https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-75un81006lb

    Does this mean that these TV don't support 60fps content like Video Games /Streams?

    I know some about true motion, but if someone could explain that as well, would really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/HikenNoAsxce
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a UCB C dongle, headphones not detected

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:42 PM PDT

    I've bought a new HP 7ed45ea computer that only has a UCB C port. When I use the headphones that have a USB C plug there's no problem, but when I try to plug in a dongle for UCB C to AUX 3,5 mm jack it doesn't detect the headphones. I've tried updating the drivers and I've tried other headphones in the dongle. When I go in to settings and troubleshoot, it only says that there are no headphones detected. I also have a handsfree set for a phone with a USB C that the laptop don't detect.

    When I plug the same setup (dongle + headset) in my phone it works fine.

    submitted by /u/megustalosgatos
    [link] [comments]

    What happened to my TV?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 10:15 PM PDT

    I'm really scared. Someone just started to control my Westinghouse (not smart) tv and up the volume // change the channel. This tv was never connected to the internet and i dont think it could be infrared because they weren't close. I'm so scared. I decided to go on my chromecast and I just casted my phone to display a message saying "WHO ARE YOU? TXT ME: (gave my number).

    I didn't receive a text but it instantly stopped.

    This never happened before and now I dont even want to use the tv anymore because i think they can see what I see.

    Is it possible that another object in my home caused this by interference ? It seems unlikely but Idk.

    Help me, I'm scared.

    submitted by /u/MetalFox2000
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix pausing my show?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    So the past few nights I have put on Great British Baking Show to help me fall asleep (great show! I recommend) I watch Netflix on my phone. Every night I've noticed an odd trend though: for example, I'll watch all of episode five, fall asleep somewhere in the middle of episode six, and not see any of episode seven. But when I wake up, the progress bar in episode seven is stopped somewhere in the middle, like I had paused it instead of it asking if I was still watching, which it does at the end of the episode. My dad says it uses facial recognition to tell if I'm awake or not, which is plausible since my camera is put in a way where it can see my face, but also sounds sketch because a Google search turned up nothing, and wouldn't I know about then watching me? It's unlikely that I wake up briefly to pause it and the fall back asleep, since this happens nearly every night, so I can't think of anything else that it could be- so is Netflix really watching me or is my dad full of it?

    submitted by /u/comeonvirginia
    [link] [comments]

    How can hide my friend’s activity on Facebook?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Ok i know its a weird question but I would really be grateful for an answer. Is there any way to hide my friend's interaction with a particular person without hiding my friend's other activities? Like if i blocked the other person will my friend's activity with that person still appear in my feed? or is there like a mute button for that person? Please help. I dont want to see my friend's intraction with that person apear on my feed.

    submitted by /u/yousif7000
    [link] [comments]

    What are these devices used for? I found them and removed them from my wireless network and audibly heard two devices beeping at each disconnect outside of my house. one costs 1000$ and I've never seen it

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:58 PM PDT

    MediaTek MT8167 and 1- g2b 24b 125 0270: x86_64: GenuineIn (which beeped outside) and PD4-0218 4-way Wilkinson Microwave/RF which beeped too and I heard people carry it inside the basement next to me

    submitted by /u/IndependenceIll1095
    [link] [comments]

    Fast internet on my computer, while slow internet on my phone when in the same room and connected to same wifi. What could cause this?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:44 PM PDT

    To clarify

    When I'm on my PC in my bedroom, my Internet is fast.

    But, when I use my phone in my bedroom, it's slow. I don't have any wifi extender for my PC or anything like that.

    Basically two different devices, same distance from the router, one is fast, the other is slow

    I'm wondering why my phone is so slow when my PC has no such problem

    submitted by /u/its_jenna
    [link] [comments]

    Analyzing heapsnapshot files

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    Is there something out there that analyzes heapsnapshots better than Google Developer? Is there any tools out there that puts everything all together?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/LonelyInfoSecAnalyst
    [link] [comments]

    [EGPU Question] Building a gaming rig, wanna throw out a hypothetical

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    Hey r/AskTechnology, thanks for taking time out to read my post.

    So, i'm finally taking the dive and building out a gaming rig so i can play some of my favorite games with my friends. Anyways I had a hypothetical i wanted to throw out there:

    So i have a work laptop, a macbook pro 2019. It's a great machine. However I do work in media, so every now and then i have to hop in and edit and render video. The machine does a good job. The thought of getting an egpu to pick up the slack on rendering when I'm at home has crossed my mind a few times.

    Now that I'm building a gaming rig I'm going to have a pretty strong video card (i haven't decided which one I wanted yet) -- and it would be a shame to let that video card go to waste while i'm working.

    So my hypothetical setup is:

    • Gaming rig with SHITTY CHEAP BARE MINIMUM video card plugged into motherboard
    • Work macbook pro laptop
    • single monitor (LG Ultrafine 4k, i took it from my office when i went to wfh)
    • EGPU I can plug into either my work laptop or my gaming rig depending on what i'm doing.

    Will this hypothetical setup work? I know Macs have pretty seamless egpu support, but i'm not sure if it's this easy on windows (I admit I'm completely clueless when it comes to windows)

    If this is the case, the only egpu card compatible with macs is AMD — I know NVIDIA is sort of the king of gaming GPU's but this hypothetical setup won't let me use one. Is AMD a good gaming gpu?

    submitted by /u/mattylou
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with keeping my data safe from an exam proctor app. Please read.

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I will be taking an exam online through a Proctor app, basically they monitor the exam security and cheating. But the issue is, they a huge privacy invasion and they ask for a lot of permission during the test like having control over Keyboard and mouse, seeing me through, cam, mic, screen sharing, etc. You can read for yourself

    The issue is, I can't cancel the test for a refund (too late) and I'm now kinda forced to take, I don't have an extra computer to do it on, and the only solutions I have to protect my Mac and data is either:

    • Making a new user with parental controls or
    • Using guest mode

    As for guest mode, I need to turn FileVault off to access Chrome and the test App, is it even safe to turn off the FileVault just for the test period?

    So I decided to make a new user with parental control, so none of my actual files are visible, it just looks like a brand new mac.

    My Question is:

    If for some reason there is spyware and tracking, will it transfer to my main admin account or they can see my admin files in my Mac or no? Will everything be erased once I do the test and delete the new user entirely Does it that also apply to using guest mode? Will my admin be safe?

    I know these are a lot of question, sorry!

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/A-_-ok
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about hardware performance when using a network switch

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    So, I have a router modem combo with 2 ethernet ports. I need more than two! I was thinking of getting a 4 plug ethernet switch.

    • Will I be able to use more than one device plugged into the switch at the same time or does it only allow for one IP address at a time?

    • If I can use more than one device, will there be a significant performance loss? Like, could I have someone playing COD on the ps4 in one room and someone streaming netflix on the pc in another if they're both connected to the switch or would that be too much load on the one port of my router modem combo that the switch is plugged into?

    Thank you for helping out a networking noob!

    submitted by /u/EmbarrassedSector125
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Guy Who Needs to Learn, HOW?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    Hi Folks,

    I recently was hired for a lucrative reseller job. I have previous experience in SaaS sales. I no absolutely nothing about networks/ hardware. So essentially I have no idea what I am selling.

    If you were talking to a complete noob who needed to understand networking/infrastructure basics quickly at a high level; what would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/odenismypappa
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know of a throat microphone that is compatible with a cisco 8800 series phone?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    With mask wearing, normal microphones are muffled through the mic.

    If a throat microphone could be obtained, it would eliminate that problem.

    Does anyone know of one that's compatible?

    submitted by /u/great_extension
    [link] [comments]

    Phone calls to Kazakhstan and Russia play a recording after 3 minutes

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:47 AM PDT

    My best friend (born in Kazakhstan, Russian family, American citizen) has family still in Kazakhstan and Russia. Her grandmother is in a hospital in Kazakhstan and her mother went to call her- the hospital doesnt have wifi in the rooms and they normally use WhatsApp to talk rather than direct phone calls because of the cost. So my friends mom called her moms husband to check in, cell phone to landline.

    Once connected, it sounded like he just kept repeating the same story over and over word for word. Worried he may have dementia and be alone in the house, she called the hospital, went through a fewer operators and was connected to her mother "Operator one, connecting you" "Oh hi (friends moms name), no I'm fine, my blood pressure is a little high but..." "Operator one, connecting you" "Oh hi (friends moms name), no I'm fine, my blood pressure is a little high but..." "Operator one, connecting you" "Oh hi (friends moms name), no I'm fine, my blood pressure is a little high but..."

    On repeat. What? So she calls back. Apparently the call is dropping on the other end (grandma, grandpa, and other friends she starting calling to see if this was an issue) after about 3-3:30 minutes. Then their side of the conversation is played back, but not her side. They receive beeps as if the call dropped and she receives a recording of 1 side of the conversation.

    My friend called Tmobile (their cell provider) and asked what was going on, saying it appears their conversations are being recorded, which tmobile did not confirm or deny. They are 'looking into it'.

    Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know what this could be a result of?

    Thanks!

    Tl;dr: calls are dropped on one end and a recording of the conversation is played on the other end- only calls to Russia and Kazakhstan so far.

    submitted by /u/bubblesnblep
    [link] [comments]

    How is this possible on Instagram Login Activity? It shows me active on a Samsung that is my ex’s on the 7th of July 2020. I changed my password September 2019 And the last log in on the access data for her Samsung is 9th August 2019. How?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    How can she have been active? Surly she would have been kicked out when I changed my password. No log in since then. So she would have needed to have been logged in the entire time to then become active July 7th 2020. If some one can explain this confusing situation I would be grateful!

    submitted by /u/SnooTigers5332
    [link] [comments]

    Could an old video game console play a video?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I know this is may seem like a really weird question, but this is something that I've always wondered, could an old video game console like, let's say, the super nintendo, play a video? From what I understand, one of the biggest problems video game developers had on the super nintendo regarding sound was the amount of space they had to work with. But let's say that we weren't making a game and we were just trying to play a video, if you were to super compress the video to make it 4 megabytes, and you put that video on a SNES cartridge, could the SNES play it?

    submitted by /u/Patchu_Best_2hu
    [link] [comments]

    Current equivalent of "Market Helper" app for rooted Android device (app that tricks Google Play store into thinking you are on a different device)?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    The Market Helper app does this, but the device options are pretty outdated. Is there a current alternative/alternative strategy someone knows of to trick the Google Play store into thinking you're on a different device?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/mattinpatxi
    [link] [comments]

    Would a mini pc run Ableton Live well?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a cheap pc solely for running Ableton Live Intro. Would something like this work since it meets the min. requirements?

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085RW6L86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vWiiFbAFW8ZJQ

    submitted by /u/xTrainerRedx
    [link] [comments]

    Repair or replace?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    I have a Lenovo IdeaPad bought for me by my mother for my birthday a couple years ago and I finally made a very stupid mistake and ended up damaging it the screen is broken half of it is completely not visible and what worries me is there's no visible cracking on the outside which means that the LCD underneath is damaged which tells me it's going to be very expensive to repair. I will admit right now I am in no way confident in trying to repair it myself and as far as I'm aware it's not under its warranty anymore what I'm wondering is if I should spend the time to save up to get it repaired or if I should just use the money I would save to repair it to purchase a new laptop

    submitted by /u/Various_Version_3728
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment