• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 12, 2020

    Tech Support - Advice on a new laptop

    Tech Support - Advice on a new laptop


    Advice on a new laptop

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:08 AM PDT

    Any suggestions? I'm between an HP Envy x360 $1165.49 (before tax) and the ASUS - 15.6" 4K Ultra HD Touch-Screen Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB SSD - Gun Gray Model:Q537FD-BI7T7

    At best buy for 1,299.99 (before tax).

    Here are the specs. I don't game btw. Mainly for work (word documents, zoom meetings, heavy web browsing and need a key pad.

    Thanks!!!


    HP Envy x360 specs: HP ENVY x360 15 Convertible PC Product number: 8MF60AV

    •Nightfall Black

    •15.6" diagonal FHD, IPS, micro-edge WLED-backlit, multitouch-enabled, edge-to-edge glass, 400 nitsB (1920 x 1080)

    •No DVD or CD Drive

    •512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

    •Full-size island-style backlit keyboard

    •Security Software Trial

    •16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)

    •Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 200 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)

    •Office Software Trial

    •Windows 10 Pro 64

    •HP Wide Vision HD Camera + integrated dual array digital microphone (Nightfall Black)

    •3-cell, 51 Wh Li-ion polymer

    •AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U (2.0 GHz, up to 4.2 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 8 cores) + AMD Radeon™ Graphics

    •HP Pen (dark ash silver)


    ASUS Q series specs

    Key Specs

    Display

    Screen Size

    Info

    15.6 inches

    Screen Resolution

    Info

    3840 x 2160 (4K)

    Touch Screen

    Info

    Yes

    Display Type

    Touchscreen Widescreen LED-LCD

    Backlit Keyboard

    Info

    Yes

    Screen Size

    Info

    15.6 inches

    Touch Screen

    Info

    Yes

    Storage Type

    SSD

    Total Storage Capacity

    1000 gigabytes

    Solid State Drive Capacity

    Info

    1000 gigabytes

    System Memory (RAM)

    Info

    16 gigabytes

    Graphics

    Info

    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

    Processor Speed (Base)

    Info

    1.8 gigahertz

    Processor Model

    Info

    Intel 10th Generation Core i7

    Processor Model Number

    i7-10510U

    Operating System

    Info

    Windows 10 Home

    Voice Assistant Built-in

    Info

    Amazon Alexa

    Works With

    Info

    Amazon Alexa

    Battery Type

    Lithium-polymer

    submitted by /u/RelativeCriticism6
    [link] [comments]

    Why didn't Google Glasses become Google Monocle?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:46 AM PDT

    AR is ultimately most useful in it's search features, right? Why not just pull out a monocle, examine whatever and get some details on it?

    People know you're using it, it doesn't clutter your vision and it's cool.

    submitted by /u/ribblle
    [link] [comments]

    Are there such things as artificial eyeballs that give sight to the user?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 12:24 AM PDT

    i’m scared/confused

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    so i was on the wayback machine looking at my old tweets when i decided to look for archive.is cause i heard it was the same thing. So i went to the page put my twitter handle and some of my friends' handles as well (at separate times) and the whole page turned green with a bunch of codes and then it showed me a capture of the (separate) accounts. I'm scared that why i did was illegal and that i accidentally copyrighted stuff. I'm really scared, was this illegal?

    submitted by /u/falsegod95
    [link] [comments]

    Text messages suddenly no longer say "read"

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:23 PM PDT

    I don't know if this is the place to post but I need answers. My boyfriend told me earlier today that my his text messages sent to me suddenly no longer say that I've "read" his messages. I've never touched the settings on my phone nor do even know how to change the settings so when I read text messages the other user cannot see if I read them or not. Is that even possible? On my phone there are only handful of people who I can see when they've "read" my messages. Is it something on my end or his? Please help!!! I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and he has an LG Tribute Royal.

    submitted by /u/meowfruit
    [link] [comments]

    Robot assistant

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of robot assistants for public purchase? There are life assisting AI apps that will help you keep your shit together through screens, but I was wondering if there's anything physical, robot or similar, that I could buy that could holler at me to make dinner at 6:30 instead of 10 pm (along with other various things I'm bad at holding myself accountable for).

    submitted by /u/froggybe
    [link] [comments]

    $475 to repair my 2018 MacBook Air. Am I better off buying a new one?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    So my MacBook Air can't connect to WiFi anymore (this is the only issue). In order to fix, it needs a new CPU or motherboard or something and would cost $475 for Apple to repair the issue.

    Am I better off just buying a new MacBook Air for $949, when taking into account depreciation or future problems that could occur with my current device? Also I have no idea what it's worth. But would try to sell the old device as well.

    submitted by /u/prineforever
    [link] [comments]

    If you delete the .apk file from an app you downloaded from an external source, does it delete the app?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    I'm not in the tech field, don't know if this is a stupid question. Sorry if it is. I looked it up but didn't find what I wanted, so thought I'd ask here.

    I have a few apps that came from external sources - I downloaded the .apk file from the source, then opened it to install the actual app. There is an app I downloaded this way that I need to download a new .apk from the source whenever there is an update for it, and I know that if I delete the .apk from a previous update it doesn't affect the app. What about the file for the current version in that case, or the respective .apk file from externally downloaded apps in general? In other words, is that file what your device needs to install the app, or is the file the app itself?

    submitted by /u/UnhappyAct4
    [link] [comments]

    I got scammed by one of those Indian companies and allowed remote access to my MacBook via citrix. I deleted the application and would like to erase my hard drive to get rid of any lingering malware but want to know how to transfer my data back to the computer or another without infecting it.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    I unfortunately got scammed by one of those Indian companies who overtook a legit repair company's phone number . I allowed them access to my MacBook via Citrix. I watched them the entire time and all they did was go through my logs to try to convince me I needed to pay them $500 to fix my computer. After 3 minutes of this I realized it was a scam, ordered them to log off in front of me, and deleted the application completely from my computer. I stupidly continued using it with redoing the operating system for about two years until I read an article about this tactic and how there could still be remnants on my computer from it that they're exploiting. The computer was getting very slow and freezing but I figured it was the age because it was 8 years old by then. At that point, I just stopped using the computer because it reminded me of how I allowed myself to get scammed and stupidly kept using the computer without and took out the battery because I was told even if it's not plugged in but has the battery in, they can still remotely view it but can't if I remove the battery. Is this true?

    Anyway, id like to start using it again but I want to save all my data first. How can I save my data onto a USB and transfer that USB back to my laptop after it's wiped clean without reinfecting it? How can I try to find any bad remnants of whatever they installed to spy on my computer brfore I redo it? Is it true they can't boot it up and try to access it if the battery is removed?

    Tldr: I got scammed by one of those Indian companies and allowed remote access to my MacBook via citrix. I deleted the application and would like to erase my hard drive to get rid of any lingering malware but want to know how to transfer my data back to the computer or another without infecting it.

    submitted by /u/migimagi
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to make keyboard appear on Phone's lockscreen

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Today I changed my password from numeric to letters, which I'm regretting very much now. I restarted my phone and now cannot make the keyboard to appear. As I use OpenBoard and it does not load up because it requires the user to unlock the phone in order to start the process to run. Screen. I can enter the bootloader, but do not want to reset my data. My phone doesn't show up on my computer as it requires unlocking to allow file transfer, etc. Please help me.

    submitted by /u/platinum-python
    [link] [comments]

    Plug in American Blu-ray Player in Germany via conversion plug

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    Hey. I brought a Blu-ray player in the US and then moved back to Germany. The Blu-ray player has a 12v power cord. I was planning to get a 12v plug for the European plugs, but haven't yet. Can I use a conversion plug on the end to use the us cable, or will the double v from power lines in Germany destroy the player?

    submitted by /u/california1111
    [link] [comments]

    Roborock S5 robot vacuum reviews

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Considering purchasing my first robot vacuum and have read some decent reviews about the Roborock S5 model. Would love to read some additional reviews, if you can share!

    submitted by /u/cbrackett0512
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of wireless headphones are compatible with a 5 year old HP Envy laptop running Windows 8?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    My mom wants wireless headphones to use with her laptop. She has an HP Envy from 2015 running Windows 8. Even though it is Bluetooth enabled, Beats headphones did not work. They would pair and then unpair within a minute or less. In addition to that, they never automatically paired, so I had to keep repairing the device anytime she wanted to use them -- NOT practical. My (uneducated) guess is that Beats headphones are more compatible with Apple products and that may be why there is an issue. Anyway, anyone know of wireless headphones that have a high chance of working well with her laptop?

    submitted by /u/fscottfitzy
    [link] [comments]

    Compatible or upgradable?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    With my college operating online for the fall semester, I have just been informed that I should "equip myself for remote production" i.e.: all the tuition I paid for access to fancy computer labs is moot cause I have to do it from home.

    Purchasing a new computer outright was not in the financial plan for 2020 (and definitely not in the pandemic) so I'm trying to find out if I can upgrade my current computer to run what I need.

    I currently have:

    MacBook Pro (13 inch, early 2011) running OS X El Capitan ver. 10.11.6

    Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

    I need to run the following programs:

    https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/after-effects/system-requirements.html

    Looking for any suggestions or advice on how and what to upgrade or if I may have to just buy a new computer. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/bonkfluff
    [link] [comments]

    iPhone keeps glitching and shutting off after screen replacement

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    I got my 5s screen replaced and ever since then the screen glitches then shuts off. I have to hard reset it to come back on then it does the same cycle all over again.

    I went to another store who said the first store forgot to put back the screws on the bottom and inside and they think the screen was flipping around because it wasn't secure which is why it was causing the problem of the LCD glitching then shutting off until I hard reset it to turn back on and the cycle would repeat. After this store opened up the phone it wouldn't turn back on even with the forced reset. I went back to the original store and told them to put on a new screen and put the screws in. They insisted it wasn't their fault and it was my mother board. I again insisted so they connected a new screen and the phone still wouldn't turn on. They then put the screws in and the phone turned back on. And stayed normal for a day until it started shutting off again and I had to hard reset it to turn back on. As of now I have it on "never" under settings- display brightness auto lock and it stays on but I can't keep that up. Putting the screws in stopped the LCD glitching but Any ideas what could be causing the shutting off and on?

    submitted by /u/gigipogii
    [link] [comments]

    Thunderbolt instead of KVM switch

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    Hello, I hope that this is the correct forum for this type of questions.

    I am as many others forced to work from home and have my company laptop here that I work with - each day I plug in a HDMI cable and have a wireless mouse at my desk which have a PC.

    I've thought about getting a KVM switch to use instead to switch between work and home PC. However I play some games and am worried about latency if that is a legit concern. I also have a macbook air at home which I use frequently in the couch but also do some iOS dev on the side as a hobby and thinking about if a Thunderbolt dock would be better for me to have two cables that I just switch between the dock and use my peripherals that I normally do for my gaming needs at work and with the macbook. Is that a valid option or is there something I am missing?

    So to summarize, would a thunderbolt dock ease my life in switching between my three computers? The HDMI in my work laptop does not support 1440p 144Hz which my monitor has and I guess thunderbolt can?

    submitted by /u/thepallevante
    [link] [comments]

    dv 1.2 cable 20 pin

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    im buying a 144hz monitor and it comes with a dv 1.2 cable,

    do you guys think that theirs going to be problem with the 20th pin?

    do manufacturers disable the 20th pin nowadays?

    the monitor im buying is aoc C24G1

    submitted by /u/Infamous-Act-4554
    [link] [comments]

    Are gaming glasses actually a thing or is it just a scam?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    PC Bluetooth Dongle

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 10:12 AM PDT

    Hey, me and my friends want to do a sleep over aber we want to play MC Dungeons. The game only accept XBox controllers so I have set all up for that with input mapper for 2 Switch Pro and 2 PS4 controllers. The only problem in my opinion is that the one USB Bluetooth adaptor I plugged in my PC cant handle all 4 Controllers without lagging. My question is: will the connection be more stable if I plug in another USB Bluetooth adaptor?

    submitted by /u/JohnFCreep
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to let a HDD not fixated to the tower?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    I just placed a HDD inside the tower, but because of the cable alignment and the previous HDD and SSD, I couldn't place fixate it. Is it ok to leave it on top SSD? Only one side touches the SSD.

    submitted by /u/Lee_-
    [link] [comments]

    Why do people use smartphones with OLED screens since they get screen burn ins and can permanently damage and blind you if you use a phone with a screen burn in?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    Why do people use smartphones with OLED screens since they get screen burn ins and can permanently damage and blind you if you use a phone with a screen burn in?

    submitted by /u/SnooWords3685
    [link] [comments]

    New router for 100mbps internet? Does it even matter?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:38 AM PDT

    At my last house i had internet via fiber at 500mbps, but at my new place the best I can get is 100mbps from the ISP. Does it even matter if I have a fast router if my internet is going to be the rate limiting step?

    My needs: Basic wifi use for family of 3 (browsing, netflix, zoom), 5-10 devices, 3BR house but I want coverage to the detached garage 75 feet away. Router will be under the house so I won't use any wired connections. I like the idea of the time machine support feature. Don't know much about more advanced features.

    Looking at:

    TP-link AC 1750 ($65)- Had this in my previous apartment, was happy with it.

    TP-link AC 1900 ($90) - Will this give me better speed and range given my slow ISP?

    TP-link AC 2300 ($120) - Will this give me better speed and range given my slow ISP? Overkill? This has time machine support.

    Open to any other suggestions, ok to spend more if it would give me real benefit.

    submitted by /u/sharkymark222
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment