• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 21, 2020

    Tech Support - How does a big organization like Google protect its application servers and DBs from the access of outsiders?

    Tech Support - How does a big organization like Google protect its application servers and DBs from the access of outsiders?


    How does a big organization like Google protect its application servers and DBs from the access of outsiders?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 02:30 AM PDT

    I know that the Load Balancer is in the public layer which can be accessed by anyone. But application servers and DBs lie behind a VPN inside the company and all internal employees using the company network can access it. Can anyone explain how does this works? Why can't outsiders access the IP address of the application server or DB?

    submitted by /u/kryptokinght
    [link] [comments]

    I recently purchased the Lenovo IdeaCentre 510A Desktop (Intel Core i7, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive). What graphics card could I upgrade it with closest to either the AMD R9 290 or the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (or better), if any are possible?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:22 PM PDT

    I need my fellow redditors help/advice!!!

    Posted: 20 May 2020 10:38 PM PDT

    So I viewed this post on OfferUp and this guy is selling his LG C9 Oled+ the wall mount+ A Samsung Harmon Kardon 5.1.2 sound bar w/ subwoofer for $2500. (He was also throwing in an Amazon fire tv but I don't need it)

    When reaching out to him we went back and forth on pricing for a couple days and I got him to $2000 as he said that is the lowest he will go.

    My question(s) to you all:

    Is this a good deal? Should I go through with it? Should there be any other necessary questions I should ask him before going through with it?

    Thank you for all of your help! Thank you!

    Pictures

    submitted by /u/batman0394
    [link] [comments]

    can I use a docsis 3.0 modem when my apartment complex says to provide a 3.1 modem?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    im moving into an apartment complex and they told me I needed to provide a docsis 3.1 modem router combo but is there any reason a 3.0 wouldn't work?

    Edit: thanks for the help everyone, I ended up ordering a 3.1 modem as was suggested and will use a standalone router with it

    submitted by /u/hiccups528
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to factory-reset my desktop (M4N98TD EVO Motherboard) from BIOS after accidentally deleting a crucial hardware file

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:09 AM PDT

    Hello r/Asktechnology,

    Years ago, I deleted some file on my desktop that was crucial to it booting up. Now when I power up my PC, it ends with a black screen on which I can move my cursor around and that's it. I am trying to reinstall windows on it (which I think is the only solution), but get lost navigating the BIOS screens (which starts here: http://imgur.com/a/d4yo3zE)

    I don't think I have the original MB disc anymore, as I build this pc in 2008. I don't think I have any important files on it that I want to save. Any tips are welcome!

    submitted by /u/Justice171
    [link] [comments]

    How can I better secure my Windows 10 Home laptop than just a PIN?

    Posted: 21 May 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    Hi, I have a Win10 Home laptop that uses a PIN security option. I think there's a lot of debate whether a PIN or a password is better, but in my head, if someone has my laptop, either way they could try to brute force their way in with various combinations. So here are my questions and concerns:

    1) If someone were to try to brute force their way in, is there a point after so many attempts that things would just lock? Then again, can't they just restart the machine and try again until it locks again?

    2) I know some people might suggest an alternative to BitLocker (I'm on Win10 Home) such as VeraCrypt. I'm not opposed to using something like that, but I was hoping for something a little more native to windows that would increase my current security (even if it wouldn't be CIA level...)

    What would be an ideal compromise to me would be if I could use my PIN (or even a password) as I currently do, then like I said in #1, set a threshold where the system locks (let's say 3 or 5 attempts). THEN, the only way to unlock it would be me putting a usb thumb drive in the computer before starting it--kind of a two factor thing.

    Then again, as I type this, I realize that someone could just take out my hard drive, hook it up to an external adapter on a different computer, and access the contents. So I'm wondering if I may need to encrypt in some way to provide even a sufficient level of protection.

    What do you all think? Thanks in advance for sharing your comments/experiences.

    tl;dr

    How do you secure your Win10 Home laptop in case someone steals it?

    submitted by /u/mikes2123
    [link] [comments]

    Old external hard drive. Is it dead?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    I found an old external hard drive in my parents' basement and I remember we used to use it to watch stuff like movies when I was younger. However when I try to connect to the hard drive using my computer it would not show up. I can hear something like a disc spinning but I'm not sure what I'm really hearing. Help please?

    A pic https://imgur.com/gallery/woPgm7a

    submitted by /u/Legendwizardz
    [link] [comments]

    Could I have some help regarding my phone? (Moto G 7 power)

    Posted: 20 May 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    When I got the phone it's battery was awesome, like I could use it for 4 days without charging it. but now it's just, dying. It lost like 40% battery over the previous night. I have no idea what this is. I'm not a guy who knows about technology... I've tried like everything I can come up with.

    submitted by /u/randomguy3753
    [link] [comments]

    What is this connector?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    I got a new WiFi card (Intel AX200), but my previous antennas do not fit the connectors on the new one. I found a cable from another computer that fits, but the cable is too short to use and I need to know what kind of connector it is to order a new one.

    In the photo attached, the lower one is the old cable and the smaller silver one above it is the one that fits. I did some research and I think the old one is maybe U.FL? But I have no clue about the smaller one and can't find it referenced anywhere. Any help is appreciated.

    https://imgur.com/a/POgXz3Q

    submitted by /u/michaelz08
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone ELI5 how cable internet works? A few questions.

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    Recently i made the plunge and looked into obtaining internet service for my home. It seems my only option is through the cable company.

    At the risk of sounding dumb, i have a couple questions about this. I have never had internet service at this address. I only have used my phone for internet for the past many years. I last had home internet service (dial up) when i was a child at home with my parents, so i don't know what the deal is with it now.

    About 4 years ago, i had looked into getting internet service via the same cable company. I went through all the rigamarole with their website and calling, only to find out that my address (same address i am living at today) was not eligible for a self installation and that i would have to have someone install the internet. I have phobias and i just don't want people in my house so i dropped the idea completely, due to that issue.

    Fast forward to today, i hop on their website on my phone and it says my address IS eligible for a self installation. Well, seemingly nothing has changed so i don't understand why now i can self install and previously i couldn't. Did they do something remotely or on their end to somehow enable my address for service without the "professional installation"?

    My second question is that my main use for this will be roku and MAYBE a PS4 (might be a birthday present for my boyfriend, or not if the internet doesn't work out) According to roku you only need a speed of 3mbps to watch, but on the cable internet website, the "up to 50mbps" says it's "for 3 to 5 devices that occasionally receive emails and light internet use." So can i watch roku or not? If it's only for light internet use? It said the 150mbps is "ideal for gamers" but i had read that latency was more important than speed re: gaming. Is that true?

    Also, last question. The only evidence of cable ever having been in my house is a cable coming out from the wall in the bedroom. Is this all i need to hook up the modem or is their website wrong and do i still need a professional installation?

    submitted by /u/Nottechnological
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anyway I can Convert my TRRS clip on microphone to TRS so i can use it on my PC?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    So i bought this clip on microphone so i can use it on both pc and phone but I didn't know that time that trrs cant be use in pc. I'll be glad to take advise from you guys.

    submitted by /u/PotatoBit
    [link] [comments]

    Why is this SSD so cheap?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    Anyone have an idea as to why this supposed new product would be roughly 20% of the price I'm finding it everywhere else? Is there something sketchy about this?

    Assuming it's legitimate, is this a decent SSD?

    1TB WD Blue SSD

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Blue-3D-NAND-1TB-Internal-SSD-SATA-III-6Gb-s-2-5-7mm-Solid-State-Drive-W/143609463466?epid=0&hash=item216fca82aa:g:Fo8AAOSwDtpZbd1n

    Edit;

    Listing was already removed, weird considering it had 250+ sold....

    On that note, any recommendations for cheap SSDs?

    submitted by /u/VFQuake
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help with making something work with google forms

    Posted: 20 May 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm working on creating a google form that once submitted sends a copy to my team in a shift report fashion. As of right now I have everything set up other than there's one "question" on the google form that I'd like to be pre-filled with the previous response to the form. Is there an add-on or a code that would make that possible? Or even if there's a different tool that I could use to accomplish the same purpose that would be awesome. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Myeyesbleedyellow
    [link] [comments]

    Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router / R8000P Firmware

    Posted: 20 May 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    I have been gifted a (Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router / R8000P)[https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000P.aspx]

    Running firmware version (V1.4.1.50_1.3.10)[https://www.netgear.com/support/download/]; has anyone found any decent custom firmware to use?

    If nothing currently exists, then can anyone tell me what process(es) that I could use to create one?

    My router rooting (routing?!?) experience is limited but I have a strong background in Microsoft and also got a bit of Android experience (modifying the stock ROM boot.img for TWRP/root/flashing) so if there is something similar that can be attempted here, I am willing to give it a go.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/joedafone
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Document Number the same thing as a transaction ID on iOS purchases?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    Does it do the same thing or is it something completely different?

    submitted by /u/Bazzoooooo
    [link] [comments]

    qr reader couldnt install

    Posted: 20 May 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    i recently factory resetted my itel a16. when it reboot it showed me options to installl a qr reader to scan my organization's qr code. but it constantly shows "couldn't install qr reader". Need help urgently...

    submitted by /u/phemi323
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook to Dell Monitor

    Posted: 20 May 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    I currently have a MacBook and am looking to purchase a desktop monitor. My MacBook has an HDMI port to connect to the monitor. My question is instead of the monitor simply mirroring the laptop background, is there a way I can set it up essentially as one large screen? Where I can basically have my laptop background as it normally would be, but have the display on the monitor to drag windows into etc. hopefully this makes sense!!

    submitted by /u/zegirth
    [link] [comments]

    Can texting apps be traced by the police?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    So I have been receiving threatening text messages via iPhone texting apps for a week now.

    I went to the App Store and there's several free apps like text free or pinger.

    Is it possible for someone to use a VPN, fake email/name and then harass or threaten people without the police being able to track/trace them?

    Say they send a bunch of threatening texts and then delete the account.

    I'm thinking eventually it will stop but I don't see how the police could potentially help me if the numbers are fake text app numbers?

    submitted by /u/Guilty_Front
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a 100v to 120v power converter

    Posted: 20 May 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    There's a product I'd like to buy that's shipping from Japan, but I need a converter so I can use it where I live (NA). I've never used a power converter before, so I figured I should ask for recommendations.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Sinarou
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop makes buzzing noises while playing audio

    Posted: 20 May 2020 10:36 AM PDT

    My laptop speaker makes random buzzing/static sound whenever i play audio. The weird thing is whenever i plug in headphones or use wireless speakers, i can hear the sound through that too.

    I have tried everything, from reinstalling the sound drivers manually, to letting windows troubleshoot reinstall them and letting the manufacturer site Dell install them (latest Realtek drivers.)

    Are there any other things i can try to fix this or should I just accept that i will forever have horrible sound quality?

    submitted by /u/dreamlesscookie
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to make bot which download newest post from one specific Instagram account?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 10:32 AM PDT

    GroupMe- Accessing Old Chat

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:57 AM PDT

    This might not be the right sub but mods in r/groupME don't allow people to post.

    Back in summer 2017 me and a bunch of friends had a GroupMe chat. At the end of the summer I think the owner of the group deleted the chat because it disappeared from my conversations history. Is there anyway I could get this chat back?

    submitted by /u/hillaryclinternet
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for GPU recommendations

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:45 AM PDT

    My PC is currently operating with a GTX 1660 (NOT Super or Ti model) with a i5-9600KF.

    I was considering upgrading to a GTX 1660Ti, but after doing some research, it seems that most people suggest I save my money and stick with the 1660. In fact, the GTX 1660 seems to be a very good choice of GPU considering the price vs. performance.

    Now, I don't want to keep my 1660, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. Do any of you have recommendations for GPUs that give you the best bang for your buck? I'm not looking for a dramatic upgrade. something more.

    submitted by /u/Nxchxlas
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any USB-C Cables like this one that would sit flush against the bottom of a Nintendo Switch Lite and have a Female USB Type-A 3.0 connector on the end?

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:30 AM PDT

    Title says it all. Just looking for a cable just like this one, but has all the internals closed up in a flat case so I couldn't damage anything and that has a Female USB Type-A 3.0 connector on the end instead of the Male Type-A one. I'm just looking to connect a USB device to my Switch Lite that also allows me to still rest it on a table.

    Here's the link to a picture the Cable I'm looking at.

    Any suggestions or things that would point me in the right way are much welcomed. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheUnhingedOne
    [link] [comments]

    Best working from home gadgets

    Posted: 20 May 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    Hi,

    my company gives me 100 € to spend on extra 'working from home'-tech. I was thinking about spending it on an ergonomic keyboard, as I spend a lot of time with excel/powerpoint and some alleviation of my wrists would be good.

    Any model you can recommend (if possible without dongle)? Is the Microsoft Sculpt the one to go for?

    Alternatively, any other piece of kit like a camera or good headset or something?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/flofficial
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment