• Breaking News

    Friday, April 10, 2020

    Tech Support - My PC won't reset, update, and has corrupted data I can't fix

    Tech Support - My PC won't reset, update, and has corrupted data I can't fix


    My PC won't reset, update, and has corrupted data I can't fix

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    I loaded up my PC after a few days of not using it, and it was running severly slow so the first thing I did was factory reset it because I didn't have anything important on it. I loaded it up again and it said some files were corrupted, and I can't fix them with the DISM health restore code in the command prompt. I can't figure out how to fix the corrupted data, and my PC will no longer let me reset or factory reset or even reinstall windows of any form. It always says that it couldn't do it and that no changes were applied. I have tried a few different things and am really desperate to fix it, even if it means factory resetting it again. Any ideas?

    Edit: I tried to use the SCANHEALTH DISM prompt to check and it says "Error 605 The specified buffer contains ill formed data"

    submitted by /u/confusedredditor4404
    [link] [comments]

    How can data recovery companies recover overwritten files?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 04:10 AM PDT

    So I've seen many professional data recovery companies websites, and some of them claim to be able to recover deleted files from an HDD, even after a full format (writing zeroes to the whole drive).

    I really wonder, how can this magic be done? I am not expecting any professional secrets to be shared here, but really curious as to the general idea behind it.

    submitted by /u/TaylorSammy
    [link] [comments]

    What are the data center technician tools?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 02:44 AM PDT

    Hello, I am a critical design student working on a project that aims to unveil and explore the world of data centers that creates the Cloud. My goal is to make the data industry less invisible to the eyes of the many (non-experts) that nonetheless make use of the digital world on a daily basis.

    I am looking at it through the lens of its jobs, and I'm now trying to depict the routine and typology of work that a data center technician performs.

    Do you have any insights about this? Do you know what their tools are? What their routine might be like?

    Also: if you know more specific subs where I can ask this please suggest!

    submitted by /u/vedoblu
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use the output of a DC esc & use it with a BLDC motor?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm trying to get into this hobby. While buying, I saw That BLDC motor cars are really great but a bit costly.

    My cars receiver & ESC is not separated.

    So I was thinking if I'm able to get that DC output & with the help of some kind of converter, use it with a BLDC motor. Is this achievable??

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/rahat1269
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendations for buying a monitor for my MacBook Air

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    I recently bought the 2020 MacBook Air (i5, 16 GB RAM) and I absolutely love it. I am graduate student and writer, and while working I typically move around a lot around my office, places on campus, coffees shops, etc. Now that I'm stuck working from home, I want a better work-from-home setup that I can use with my laptop.

    Dream monitor: screen size around 27 inches, includes webcam and speakers, has 4K resolution, works well with my MacBook Air, includes USB-C, and costs less than $400.

    In reality, I could use an external webcam as I know that's not super common in the low price range (would still prefer built in speakers), and I could budge a little on price if needed. USB-C compatibility would be nice, but is not required as I understand I could just buy a cheap adapter and use HDMI. I think 27 inch is ideal but anything 24+ inch should work.

    What I use my computer for:

    I do not use my computer for gaming so in terms of specs that's not a consideration. Also, I do not do any photo/video editing so I don't necessarily need perfect photorealistic color or anything. I think 4K would be nice for sharp text/Netflix but lower is okay too if it's a good deal. I use my computer for writing, email, Microsoft Office, some light coding, spreadsheets, Netflix, etc.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/465768754
    [link] [comments]

    I use an SSD as my hard drive for my computer, and an HDD as a backup. How do I switch these?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    Is it possible to switch these from my PC so that my SSD is back up and my HDD is my main? My SSD has corrupted data and I think it's done for but is there any way do use the other one?

    submitted by /u/confusedredditor4404
    [link] [comments]

    Best photo gallery software for windows?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    I have thousands of photos in multiple folders all neatly organized so by default the windows explorer has been more than enough but now I'm starting to lack features, for example, most of my photos are photos in motion, which its a feature on many current smartphones that include a small video clip inside the photo, I cannot find any way to view it on windows without actually extracting the video as if it were a zip which its obviously not optimal, also I have taken lots of burst photos, android gallery by stock neatly organize them within a single "photo" that you can get into and look at them as if you were inside a folder instead of showing you a 100 photos separately, also most of my photos have gps data so my smartphone neatly separates them by location albums, so I can see where my photos have been taken on a single map.

    So back to the question, its there any photo gallery software available that has this options on windows 10?

    submitted by /u/otoko_no_hito
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a sonar app on Android that I can use to track nearby mobile devices?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Me and my friends think it would be cool to mess with each other, and when I say sonar I mean the type of tracker with a green circle and a beeping noise.

    submitted by /u/Mr_Tripuler
    [link] [comments]

    Is it safe to do the procedures to activate camera2api and then activate it on my Xiaomi device?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    Best Software or Application for Communicating with Teams Working From Home and in the Office

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I work for a transportation company and we are exploring options to support staff to work from home. We currently have the Google suite available to use, but I am wondering if there are better options for having staff communicate with one another. Some staff will be in the office, and some will be home. It might be hard for some staff to know who is working and available, so ideally there would be a way for staff to see who is on shift or not, and have the ability to send teams messages. Google Hangouts could possibly work but I think it might be cumbersome for staff to constantly add themselves or remove themselves from groups each day. I am hoping maybe there is a better tool or options for this type of operation.

    submitted by /u/americanadianman
    [link] [comments]

    "Hotel" wifi won't let us use our Nintendo Switch online play properly?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 08:05 PM PDT

    Our apartment complex uses wifi that's similar to hotels- it has that pop-up page and you need to login to connect to it. We successfully connected to it but when we try to play with others it gives an error.

    More specifically, in Animal Crossing, I've tried to have another person come to my island and it gave her this error code: 2618-0515. And she said "it looks like there's an issue with a network's NAT type (something about how some types arent compatible)" so I assume it's because of our wifi type..

    I then connected it to my phone's hotspot that was using the apartment's wifi and it still didn't work until I turned off wifi and had it use my data.

    Is there anyway to bypass this?

    P.S. - I've asked on the Nintendo Switch subreddit and someone suggested getting something like a DLink travel router (he recommended https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5RCZQH/) but it sounds like it still uses the WiFi from the apartment. Would that be the same as when my phone's hotspot is using my apartment's WiFi?

    submitted by /u/juicethrone
    [link] [comments]

    Network adapter repeatedly breaking

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Every so often when using my laptop it randomly stops connecting to the internet and I have to uninstall the internet driver and then reboot my laptop. Even after doing this it might only work for 20 minutes before having to do it again, and this will last a couple days before it stops messing up for a while. Does anyone know why the driver continues breaking and if there is anyway to fix it?

    submitted by /u/mybrainismassive
    [link] [comments]

    How to tell if a mifi is compromised?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    A colleague of mine claims that their mifi has been hacked into due to inconsistencies with normal performance. What are telltale signs to actually confirm?

    submitted by /u/Bosphoratu
    [link] [comments]

    No access to public wifi.

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 04:54 PM PDT

    In the face of Covid 19 I can no longer travel to my favorite coffee shop or library and use their internet.

    It is not possible for me to get reliable internet access at home due to the throttling and data cap of satellite internet.

    This makes it difficult to complete work which relies on internet connection, does anyone know of an affordable unlimited data wifi service?

    submitted by /u/fluffyunicorn1
    [link] [comments]

    Google Remove outdated content - Need Clarification

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    Hello -

    I have recently used the Google "Remove outdated content" and have a couple of questions.

    I had a negative article that was 5th on my google search list when I searched my name.

    1. I reached out to the article owner and was able to get my name removed from the original article / website.
    2. I completed the Google remove outdated content form with the correct website URL
    3. My request was completed in that the cache / description of the article is not visible, but the article link is still #5 when I search my name (even though the article does not have my name in it anymore).

    So, although the article does not have my name in it anymore, it still shows up when someone searches my name. How can I permanently remove that link / webpage from being associated with my google name search? Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there another tool I should be using?

    submitted by /u/rr_1486
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix WordPad problem?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    I created a new account on my laptop, and transferred a bunch of documents between desktops. My problem is that every WordPad document has become Libreoffice Writer documents with Spreadsheet icons. If I go to the taskbar, I can open a true WordPad document, but when I try to save it, it becomes another writer document with the spreadsheet icon. How do I fix this?

    submitted by /u/Adamhayche
    [link] [comments]

    Keeping user manuals and packaging

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Every time I purchase a new tech device (camera, phone, laptop...) I have a crisis about whether or not to keep the user manuals and packaging and all that type of stuff. But thing is, I've never once tried to find these things after throwing them away, and I never miss them or need them, although I still feel... guilty (?) when I'm deciding to get rid of them. I just got a new laptop and I'm very happy with it, it works, and I have every intention of using it until it peters out after some years. Can someone assure me that I can throw this stuff away?

    submitted by /u/LilweirdLilwild
    [link] [comments]

    What is this cable?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    I was cleaning out an old box that my grandparents gave me full of cds/floppies, a laptop, and wires and found this cable. I have never seen one before and no idea what this is used for. Can someone tell me what's it's used for before I pitch it? https://www.dropbox.com/s/g62qz18i72pqisb/20200409_135203.jpg?dl=0

    submitted by /u/FlaminAshes
    [link] [comments]

    Parents want to be able to read books via internet to their grandkids. Whats the best way to accomplish that?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    I've been looking at the Facebook Portal for ease of use; but here is where the complication comes in. My dad is really hard of hearing, and while his hearing aids have bluetooth, if you connect bluetooth to the Portal, it overrides the speaker so my Mom cannot hear.

    Basically I need to find a way to get them to be able to webcam chat with their grandkids, where my dad can have audio to his bluetooth headphones and my mom can hear from the speaker/soundbar, and it be simple enough that I dont have to fly home and set it up.

    submitted by /u/poopchuteluke
    [link] [comments]

    How can this company keep identifying me, despite VPN, Tor browser, & other misc precautions?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    Greetings, Wonderful Technology Answer-folk,

    My work requires me to maintain an account with a certain online tracking/payments platform, which I'll refer to as "CJ."

    The nature of the racket is such that, every so often, I inevitably violate some obscure policy in their fine print, which results in my account being terminated. (And they outright refuse to disclose whatever misdemeanors I allegedly committed, which really irks me.) When this happens, CJ insists that violators are banned for life - but I simply create a new email address and re-join the platform as a brand new entity.

    This worked well enough for about a year - I'm vigilant about using a VPN, re-booting my home router often, and not volunteering any information that would allow them to connect any dots. But lately, they've gotten uncannily adept at busting me/terminating the new accounts within about 72 hours. Even if I used a Tor browser and alternate VPN at registration. Even when I had a totally unrelated and oblivious friend sign up for a new CJ account from her computer/vpn.

    Is there some other signal that I'm unaware of, that they could latch onto and conclude "yep, that's p0werpuff again, shut her down"? (Like an unshakeable IP thats unheard-of among civilians?)

    I'm wiling to invest in whatever hardware/softward/burner device that I might need to get through security again - right now its extra super duper critical that I can sneak in and maneuver incognito (preferably forever, but I'd settle for a year.)

    What say you, AskTechnology? How can I confuse their fancy detectors and outsmart them once and for all?

    TLDR; All my usual methods for concealing my online business identity have suddenly failed, and I wish to learn how to level up

    submitted by /u/p0werpuff
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a used hard drive to laptop

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    I have a HP laptop which the hard drive died; I have another HP laptop with a compatible hard drive. I know I´m going to have trouble with the OS, so I need to do a complete reinstall.

    The question is how it can be done.

    The laptop that died had windows home 7 home premium 64 bit pre-installed, I know of windows media creation tool, install windows 10; I´m going to install it on a USB and hope to use it in the process.

    The reason I´m doing it in the first place is because of the broken laptops hardware (i7, 760M graphics), compared to the trash AMD E1-200 processor on the other one.

    Any help, will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Kurama1m3
    [link] [comments]

    What Cloud Service is right to use?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:10 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    So I've been put in charge of updating our companies server and licensing to something that isn't 12 years old anymore. I need to present a cost analysis next week of different options to accomplish the following. Whether that is accomplished by updating the old server and going with a local company to manage the server, or by transitioning to a cloud-based system, I have yet to determine.

    The main requirements I need:

    • 12 Users with Exchange / Outlook email access
    • 12 Users with Microsoft Office Access
    • 70 Users (est.) that can Edit Excel / Word or Google Docs / Sheets on a daily basis. (If we can get everything on one system, great, but 70 Microsoft Office accounts just for spreadsheet editing doesn't sound cost-effective. I think we may just need to stick with Google Docs for this. There is no fear of data security with these files as they are only used for daily duty tracking. There will be no sensitive data being transferred in these files.
    • 4-5 Quickbooks License Updates (Have 5 Currently, but we only use 3. I haven't done much with QB but I'd like to make sure my people have access to this remotely, just like everything else. Whether that will be done with a new licensing, VMs, or some type of RDP has yet to be determined.)
    • 5 User Remote Desktop Accessible Accounts (RDP) (We might end up just getting a few laptops instead of this, our towers are pretty old and need updating anyways, and with our server on the cloud... I just don't see a whole lot of need for the RDP unless I will be remoting in to help someone with something)
    • No Downtime for the Migration

    it's a very small business so my overhead isn't huge and I'd like to make it as seamless as possible.

    Additionally, the company isn't very tech-savvy. There may be 2 people that know the difference between outlook and exchange. I plan to stick around as an on-call presence to help alleviate a lot of these concerns, but I believe my best option may be a hybrid between IaaS and Saas.

    Another point of note is, I hate subscription fees if I can avoid 9 separate subs, great, but I also understand how many of these things are transitioning to a subscription. The benefits of having another company manage the updates and maintenance for these applications outweigh my personal distaste of them.

    Thank for any help you can give!

    submitted by /u/Jigglebox
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment